Cooking Challenge v3.0: Olympics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current & Upcoming Themes:

Week 3: January 15th - January 21st: Portuguese
Week 4: January 22nd - January 28th: Poaching
Week 5: January 29th - February 4th: Olympics
Week 6: February 5th - February 11th: Vinegar
Week 7: February 12th - February 18th: Filipino

The premise is simple:
Each week will have a different food or theme posted, and the challenge is to prepare a dish within the theme. It doesn't have to be super detailed, difficult or super on topic - be creative, the point is to just get you trying out some new things! Your mind is your limit, I'll never yell at anyone for being off-theme. :D (Also, drinks, desserts, barely food related items are all acceptable... just try something new).

Anyway: when you're done with the dish, just take a picture, chow down, and then post it on the thread, with comments and (hopefully!) a recipe. Easy peasy!

The theme for the next week will be posted along with the current week so that anybody who doesn't have ingredients on hand can put them on their shopping list, or can just start planning what they want to make. :)

themes unapologetically stolen from reddit

My favourite inspiration site: TasteSpotting | a community driven visual potluck

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Love this idea! I love to cook, and a new challenge would be fun. Sold.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like this. I would need time to get any challenge done though.

We usually announced the ingredient a week in advance to allow for people to shop and whatnot, so generally you'd have two full weeks from the day the ingredient was announced to the end of that ingredients' "challenge."

With that said, we weren't very strict or anything. The whole point is to have fun and try something new, so if you happened to do it a week late, who cares. We just made a thread for each ingredient and people posted to it as it was done. It was super fun, especially when international people had to get very creative with substitutions and if trying to copy recipes, US measuring cup sizes. :laugh:

I don't cook food, nor do I really eat food. :laugh: but I do like to photograph food... true story.

At my old office we had this challenge, to make something with basil and bring it in for a potluck - well I said why not. I found some random recipe off the internet for a strawberry kiwi salad with basil and made it. Everyone loved it and I got the prize for best use of basil. Still find it hilarious as I never make meals or cook. And I did not eat that salad.

But I am sure I will lurk on the thread you create... as half of the stuff people eat confuses the crap out of me :D

I'd be up for that. Always on the the lookout for tasty ways to cook food. :)

Count me in! :D I love to be creative with my cooking. :p

And I will spam your thread with delicious pictures of baked goods :laugh:

(since I can't cook worth a crap, but i can damn well make me some cookies! lmao)

Members don't see this ad :)
ooooooooooh i would love to start this too :)

gives me a reason to cook at home more often than i do right now - which is not much at all :rolleyes:

:love: love this! Even with my insane schedule once a week I could probably do! Just don't look for me during finals. I'll be living in a sea of pizza boxes and empty soda cans...

I would love to try! I'll be spending ~ 5 weeks in June/July doing an externship, so no cooking there unfortunately. Other than that, I'm in!

Totally love this. I made a ton of different types of pancakes yesterday: plain, plain with chocolate chip and creme de menthe, brown sugar cinnamon, cinnamon raisin, and chocolate coconut. Not sure how they turned out (I don't like most of the ingredients, but I love to bake and cook). I just need someone to eat my food. The hubby-to-be doesn't really like sweets.

Totally love this. I made a ton of different types of pancakes yesterday: plain, plain with chocolate chip and creme de menthe, brown sugar cinnamon, cinnamon raisin, and chocolate coconut. Not sure how they turned out (I don't like most of the ingredients, but I love to bake and cook). I just need someone to eat my food. The hubby-to-be doesn't really like sweets.

Mail them to PA and I'll eat them. :D

Gah! I wish I could...unfortunately, teh BF and I both have really crazy food allergies/issues which makes us basically stick to a boringly basic diet....but maybe I could contribute a little if an ingredient seems gastrointestinally inoffensive? I do LOVE to cook.

We've been considering doing a Brazilian dish consisting of spiced and skewered beef heart. The spice may mess us both up, but it looks soooo goooood.

I have no clue how to cook, but promised by bf I would try to learn a bit this summer. Definitely trying to make some of those recipes that'll make food for a week or a month that we talked about a while ago. This would make it a lot more fun and my bf would probably love it. I can start when I move into my house in a few weeks. :)

I love to cook and I love to learn new recipes/try new foods. I'm in!

Mmmm... maybe

In the past two weeks I have ruined: 2 steaks (forgot to defrost so they were both well-done and raw), a roast chicken (waited too long to cook it and it got gross), stewed turnips (no clue what happened), cheese crackers (burned in my new oven), and almond-honey cake (baking powder =/= baking soda).

Even though I love to cook, I officially decided that it is in fact cheaper for me to eat out!

Mmmm... maybe

In the past two weeks I have ruined: 2 steaks (forgot to defrost so they were both well-done and raw), a roast chicken (waited too long to cook it and it got gross), stewed turnips (no clue what happened), cheese crackers (burned in my new oven), and almond-honey cake (baking powder =/= baking soda).

Even though I love to cook, I officially decided that it is in fact cheaper for me to eat out!

I've totally done the baking powder/baking soda thing, haha. At least it wasn't as bad as a friend who used powdered sugar instead of flour in her pizza! Yuck yuck yuck.

This seems like more than enough interest. I'll set up the first (to start Sunday) sometime in the next couple hours. :D And no worries for the veg*ns, if I ever pick a meat I'll put an alternative food down for you guys.

Cool! Thanks for putting this together Trilt! I'm excited! :hardy:

Totally in. Hopefully it will help me break the finals-induced cycle of pizza and take out (even though finals ended two weeks ago).

Love the idea! I thought about going to culinary school before I applied to vet school.

You said earlier the ingredient is announced a week before the challenge starts. Will we have one or two weeks starting Sunday then? :laugh:

You said earlier the ingredient is announced a week before the challenge starts. Will we have one or two weeks starting Sunday then? :laugh:

This first one is squished a bit, which is why I picked a super easy ingredient. You only get a week and a half for it. ;p

As said, though, I don't give any craps if you're late rofl.

This first one is squished a bit, which is why I picked a super easy ingredient. You only get a week and a half for it. ;p

As said, though, I don't give any craps if you're late rofl.

I just don't wanna cook while in Germany. :laugh:

And I might just wait another two or three weeks until I'm moved into my house..

Bump for a blast from the past, and to see if there may be some interest in this. I've gotten immensely lazy about cooking since starting work and need to fix that. I was stealing themes from www.reddit.com/r/52weeksofcooking/ at one point with these challenges, and think it'd be fun to start things back up again. :D

Anybody feeling culinary-ish?

Reactions: 5 users
My current cooking challenge is using up the stuff in my CSA box, but if the secret ingredients/themes here match up (or are compatible), I could get on board.

Reactions: 1 user
Ooh, fun! I don't know if I can commit to doing it consistently, but I like this idea a lot!