1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Cool Dental Fact

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by BloodySurgeon, May 15, 2008.

1. BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe most people already knew this, but i was buying some chocolate the other day and I saw a box that said sugar free, but on the nutritional content it said 16g of sugar alcohol. I was thinking to myself, sugars are alcohols so whats the difference? Well after looking it up I found this distinction.

Carbohydrates (or sugars) are either aldehydes or ketones (hence reducing sugars). A sugar alcohol is a carbohydrate that has its carboxyl group reduced to either a primary or secondary hydroxyl group.

This is really good because now you can eat sweets without worrying about tooth decay (cavities)! This fact could have saved my parents a fortune in dental bills!

Bacterias in your mouth have capsules that adhere to your teeth and when you eat high nutritional foods that the bacteria can digest (like sucrose in sweets), the bacteria metabolizes it and releases lactic acid which leaves a nasty cavity on your teeth. Bacteria, however, cannot metabolize sugar alcohols and it will leave your mouth feeling clean (orbitz commercial :)) and cavity-free.

Pretty nifty idea from the chocolate factory don't you think?

2. quiksilver87

10+ Year Member

Do you know if sucralose and other artificial sweetneers can be metabolized by oral bacteria? I always wondered about that and keep forgeting to ask my dentist.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BloodySurgeon

Medical Student
  4. BloodySurgeon

Medical Student
    Just looked it up... Artificial sweeteners were made for people who cannot eat sugar or who want to cut down on calories from sugary foods. After many years of use, artificial sweeteners are still controversial. Some people think that they are good because they do not cause cavities and may help them lose weight. Other people think that using artificial sweeteners can cause cancer and other diseases.

5. LoveMyRam

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This debate is one of the verbal passages in my princeton review workbook for the class!

It's great to see other people who care about what they're studying!

6. paranoid_eyes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh: you're such a nerd. :p

and i mean that in a good way :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dork:smuggrin:

;)