Cool/Interesting Medicine-Related Pictures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhizoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this while on wikipedia:

737px-Ww2-53.jpg

Description: "In an underground surgery room, behind the front lines on Bougainville [WWII], an American Army doctor operates on a U.S. soldier wounded by a Japanese sniper."

I was kinda taken aback when I saw this, everyone in the pic seems so calm and focused while operating in a far from optimal setting

Anyone else have cool/interesting medicine-related pictures to share? (not sure if a thread already exists)

Members don't see this ad.

I was kinda taken aback when I saw this, everyone in the pic seems so calm and focused while operating in a far from optimal setting
I was kinda taken aback by the lack of shirts on the surgeons. :idea:

I was kinda taken aback by the lack of shirts on the surgeons. :idea:

Cool pic! I'm guessing if you don't have sterile gowns the next best thing would be bare skin that has been semi-sterilized by some kind of antiseptic. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool pic! I'm guessing if you don't have sterile gowns the next best thing would be bare skin that has been semi-sterilized by some kind of antiseptic. :confused:
I agree, it is a very cool pic. I'm just going to assume that they really weren't even aiming for much of a sterile field. :rolleyes:

That's pretty awesome...but why is the surgeon in the middle ripped?? :smuggrin:

If the surgeons have no shirts, what do the OR nurses wear?

Other than the shirtlessness, the surgeons' attires (masks, etc) look almost modern.

P.S. does that surgeon look to have a... man-cleavage?? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a really cool picture. It's really interesting. If I ever became a surgeon I think it would be insane to do surgery in a situation like this.

Here's some of Alexis Carrel. He was a pioneer organ transplant surgeon who tried to transplant organs and limbs between various animals. He wore all black and even painted the walls of his OR black to protect his eyes from glare. Looks creepy...

afh4cn.png

2q9w36c.png

261kcpc.png

Here's some of Alexis Carrel. He was a pioneer organ transplant surgeon who tried to transplant organs and limbs between various animals. He wore all black and even painted the walls of his OR black to protect his eyes from glare. Looks creepy...

afh4cn.png

2q9w36c.png

261kcpc.png

That is definitely really weird. I don't even know what to say. It is interesting though, I suppose. Hopefully he was doing it for medical improvement.

My personal favorite is the different levels of Frontal Lobotomies:

The minor lobotomy like the one the kennedy recieved entailed sticking a metal shaft through the eye and swirling around to detach parts of the frontal lobe;

lobot1.jpg

A major Lobotomy entailed a full internal detachment of the frontal lobe..

lobotomy.jpg
Mad-In-AmericaJun03a.jpg

bump to add a couple paintings I stumbled upon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gross_Clinic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Agnew_Clinic

I hadn't heard of surgical theater until I saw these.

The lack of interest from the students seems a bit odd/funny

Thomas Eakins is one the first great anatomic painters. The Agnew Clinic is the cover painting on the modern publication version of Charles Bosk's "Forgive and Remember", which is a must read for all current and future residents.