Technology Cooling a laptop until I can get it serviced

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tristy

BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure the thing won't blow up :p

My laptop is overheating but I can't send it in for repair yet (most likely next week). Is it ok to put it on top of the air conditioner or will this damage it in a weird way? (the ac unit is a metal thing with the vents on the top)

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

This might be a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure the thing won't blow up :p

My laptop is overheating but I can't send it in for repair yet (most likely next week). Is it ok to put it on top of the air conditioner or will this damage it in a weird way? (the ac unit is a metal thing with the vents on the top)

Thanks!!

Should be fine. These also work great: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA248U-Tornado-Notebook-Chill/dp/B0000AKA8Y

Also, before you pay to have it serviced (if its overheating I'm assuming its old enough that your warranty is up). You can try taking out the battery (doesn't require opening anything or voiding warranty) get one of those pressurized air cannisters - and blow it backwards towards where the fans/vents are. These often get gunked up and need a good cleaning - the can of air should do the trick. Once they're clean your computer should stop overheating.

Should be fine. These also work great: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA248U-Tornado-Notebook-Chill/dp/B0000AKA8Y

Also, before you pay to have it serviced (if its overheating I'm assuming its old enough that your warranty is up). You can try taking out the battery (doesn't require opening anything or voiding warranty) get one of those pressurized air cannisters - and blow it backwards towards where the fans/vents are. These often get gunked up and need a good cleaning - the can of air should do the trick. Once they're clean your computer should stop overheating.

Thanks for the response! I think you actually mentioned the chillpad before, but I looked up some reviews and they weren't very hot, so I'm still thinking about that :)

Actually, the thing is not even a year old (11 months) but yesterday it began overheating royally...So luckily I'm still under warranty :thumbup:

I will definitely take the battery out and do what you suggest!

Thank you :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! I think you actually mentioned the chillpad before, but I looked up some reviews and they weren't very hot, so I'm still thinking about that :)

Actually, the thing is not even a year old (11 months) but yesterday it began overheating royally...So luckily I'm still under warranty :thumbup:

I will definitely take the battery out and do what you suggest!

Thank you :D

No prob, yeah I've never had any troubles but I've only had my chillpad for a few months.

If the overheating happened that suddenly then nevermind what I said (but it might be useful in the future). I doubt my method would help in that case - when the fans get full of dust its a slow process where it runs hotter and hotter over a long period. If this was very sudden then either something came loose and is overheating or one of your fans failed and isn't working at all. Definitely take it in.

It's ghetto, I know, but I've seen several students in the dorm with older laptops that had a small desktop fan (the 4-6" ones) blowing on them from the side. It seems to help and might be a temporary solution till you can get it checked out. It wouldn't be practical at school, but at home you should have a spare plug near your desk.

It's ghetto, I know, but I've seen several students in the dorm with older laptops that had a small desktop fan (the 4-6" ones) blowing on them from the side. It seems to help and might be a temporary solution till you can get it checked out. It wouldn't be practical at school, but at home you should have a spare plug near your desk.

Yeah, that's kindof what I've been doing since I posted this thread (having a fan standing right next to the laptop).... I was able to drop the temp (at least from the HDD - the speedfan software won't read cpu temps for some weird reason) about 10 degrees :eek: I'm just backing up everything just in case.....

I never had any kind of trouble with my old Compaq laptop...This sucks, the computer is not even one year old :thumbdown: