Copying Parts of "Most Meaningful Activity" Description into Secondary Essay?

Sep 18, 2013
50
9
Status
Pre-Medical
A secondary essay that I received has this prompt:

"Applicants follow many paths in deciding on a career in medicine. Please describe your path, indicating activities or events that have reinforced your decision."

I wrote about my inspiring time shadowing in one of the "most meaningful activities" sections on my AMCAS. Is it considered unacceptable to copy and paste parts of this description into my secondary? I don't want to write the same thing with different wording.
 

Jabbed

5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2013
1,635
1,893
North of the Wall
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I literally copy-pasted parts of my primary into at least 70% of my secondaries. Once I figured out what diversity was, that took up the other 30%.

But seriously, the only big no-no is copy-pasting your personal statement.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: pyrrion89

pyrrion89

PGY-1, MD
May 29, 2013
928
674
Status
Medical Student
:rolleyes:
 

IncognitoGuy

life of leisure
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2011
3,280
878
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I mean.. they have everything you send them. How do you think this is going to go? :shifty:
 

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
9,949
9,798
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's unlikely that anyone would notice, but honestly you should at least try to re-word it. A reviewer taking a close look at your written materials might think you're lazy if a large part of your secondary essay is just copy-pasted from another part of your app. If it's a sentence or phrase, then whatever, but I wouldn't just copy your MME essay into the secondary.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Captain Sisko

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
9,323
8,330
The Black
Status
Medical Student
Your application is your ONLY chance to show yourself off before you (hopefully) get an interview. You have limited space in which to do so. Why waste that precious space with copypasta?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Captain Sisko

Captain Sisko

U.S.S. Defiant
Sep 30, 2012
1,599
343
Status
Medical Student
What i learned early on is that schools ask you stuff in secondaries because they care. And if you care about going there, you should treat it with respect. Give it time, you can come up with something that meshes, as opposed to copies, your primary. Give them a more complete picture of what's driving you.