Copying Parts of "Most Meaningful Activity" Description into Secondary Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geretts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A secondary essay that I received has this prompt:

"Applicants follow many paths in deciding on a career in medicine. Please describe your path, indicating activities or events that have reinforced your decision."

I wrote about my inspiring time shadowing in one of the "most meaningful activities" sections on my AMCAS. Is it considered unacceptable to copy and paste parts of this description into my secondary? I don't want to write the same thing with different wording.

Members don't see this ad.

I literally copy-pasted parts of my primary into at least 70% of my secondaries. Once I figured out what diversity was, that took up the other 30%.

But seriously, the only big no-no is copy-pasting your personal statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's unlikely that anyone would notice, but honestly you should at least try to re-word it. A reviewer taking a close look at your written materials might think you're lazy if a large part of your secondary essay is just copy-pasted from another part of your app. If it's a sentence or phrase, then whatever, but I wouldn't just copy your MME essay into the secondary.

Your application is your ONLY chance to show yourself off before you (hopefully) get an interview. You have limited space in which to do so. Why waste that precious space with copypasta?

What i learned early on is that schools ask you stuff in secondaries because they care. And if you care about going there, you should treat it with respect. Give it time, you can come up with something that meshes, as opposed to copies, your primary. Give them a more complete picture of what's driving you.