dk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Status
Hey all,

Did you guys tell your core clerkship (surgery or medicine) attending that you were going into ophth for sure? If so, does this make them less enthusiastic when writing your LOR?

And in general, do you tell any of your attendings during 3rd year that you're set on ophth if they ask? :eek: Don't want to lie and say I'm interested in their specialty, but it seems like shooting oneself in the foot otherwise...

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

monkey7247

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
dk23 said:
Hey all,

Did you guys tell your core clerkship (surgery or medicine) attending that you were going into ophth for sure? If so, does this make them less enthusiastic when writing your LOR?

And in general, do you tell any of your attendings during 3rd year that you're set on ophth if they ask? :eek: Don't want to lie and say I'm interested in their specialty, but it seems like shooting oneself in the foot otherwise...

Any wisdom would be appreciated.
I try to be very honest. When asked what I want to do, I say something like "Ophtho is at the top of the list right now, but I'm open to other areas also." That's worked well for me thus far.

guttata

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
I was upfront about my desire to pursue optho and think that it hurt my evaluations in some rotations. If I had to do it again, I would be more 'diplomatic.' You don't have to lie, but you don't have to tell the entire truth (ie, "I'm not completely sure yet. I have a few specialties in mind.")