Core Science Grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgreet

Dopefish Lives!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that technically speaking aamc splits your gpa into cum gpa and science gpa, but how much do they look over your core science grade (just the grades of your premed req. courses). I got a C in orgo 102 and I was wondering if I should retake it. It will kill my core science gpa if I leave it as is.

Members don't see this ad.

bgreet said:
I know that technically speaking aamc splits your gpa into cum gpa and science gpa, but how much do they look over your core science grade (just the grades of your premed req. courses). I got a C in orgo 102 and I was wondering if I should retake it. It will kill my core science gpa if I leave it as is.

depends on the school. some will look at your sci GPA over your non-sci. i think from personal experience, they look at your GPA as a whole the most, then look at your sci GPA because some people might have majored in english and got all A's while getting B/C's in chem or o chem or whatever. i had 2 C's in my sci GPA from machine design I and advanced mechanics...it didn't seem to hurt me at all. as long as your sci GPA is strong, regardless of whether or not you got a C, it shouldn't matter too much.

i'd like to also add that this post of yours was much more relevant than your previous one :)

i got a C in cell/molec bio, which strikes me as one of the core-est of core science prereqs. i still got accepted. if the rest of your grades are good, i woudn't worry about re-taking orgo.

Members don't see this ad :)
NDESTRUKT said:
i'd like to also add that this post of yours was much more relevant than your previous one :)

:laugh: Oh boy. Well if I could, just for fun I would give positive karma for this post ( :p ), but unfortunately it wont let me at the moment.

Yea from what I can take, there seem to be three gpa's that are reviewed, the core science (just the premed req.), science gpa, and overall gpa. With the orgo discrepancy, after retaking I can get a maximum increase of .1 in my core science gpa, however, overall my gpa would not alter as dramatically (simply due to the stabilization of having more credits).

And one more thing NDESTRUKT, I was able to figure out those problems I posted quickly after, but I did so rather fervently, and in retrospect rather childishly. I am sorry for that, but to add one thing when you were talking about sources to find for help, I consider SDN as such due to the intelligence of the people that post on here. I think it was more or less the format of how I posted that was rather ridiculous. Well I hope things are "cool" between us.

I got two Cs, one in 2nd sem. orgo and one in third sem. intro bio. Retake it if you want to and if you think you can do better, but you'll survive if you don't provided that the rest of your ap is in order. I personally never even considered retaking (literally -- it actually didn't occur to me that people would retake classes for better grades until I started reading SDN), and chose instead to do things with my time that I would enjoy.

DrWuStar said:
i got a C in cell/molec bio, which strikes me as one of the core-est of core science prereqs. i still got accepted. if the rest of your grades are good, i woudn't worry about re-taking orgo.

How is that the "core-est of core science prereqs"? Most schools do not require cell/molecular biology at all!

hmmm... i guess you are right about that. they just require 2 semesters of bio without getting into specifics of what type of bio... at my undergrad, the proper thing for a pre-med to do was take organismal bio and cell/molec. so i guess i just forgot that that was a school thing and not an actual admissions requirement. cell/molec is super relevant for the mcat though.

bgreet said:
Well I hope things are "cool" between us.

of course, i would argue that i'm one of the most laid back people in existence...of course that's arguably =)