Cornell C/O 2026 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am OOS, and Cornell is one program that really does look at your whole picture which is nice.
How do you know they really look at your application as a whole? I’m just curious cause I know I’ve applied to other schools that take a “holistic approach” but still instantly deny due to grades while other don’t, guess I’m just curious what makes you say this about the school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you know they really look at your application as a whole? I’m just curious cause I know I’ve applied to other schools that take a “holistic approach” but still instantly deny due to grades while other don’t, guess I’m just curious what makes you say this about the school!
Great question! I've spoken with people who are actually on the admissions board about how it works.
Also the diversity of backgrounds is very evident in our class at least.

One thing about admissions is to remember that getting denied or waitlisted doesn't mean you're not a good enough applicant, it's more not being what they're "looking for" and that will be dramatically different for different programs.

Great question! I've spoken with people who are actually on the admissions board about how it works.
Also the diversity of backgrounds is very evident in our class at least.

One thing about admissions is to remember that getting denied or waitlisted doesn't mean you're not a good enough applicant, it's more not being what they're "looking for" and that will be dramatically different for different programs.
What types of things do they look for that you know of, if you don’t mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
What types of things do they look for that you know of, if you don’t mind me asking?
On their site is a percentage breakdown that is helpful. Generally being well rounded and diversified is the best bet. So like someone with a 4.0 GPA and little experience with only one species would potentially be less likely to be accepted than someone with a 3.5 and a variety of experience. It might be the exact opposite somewhere else. I have friends who were accepted in places I wasn't and vice versa.
I think they provide a pretty nice breakdown here! Holistic Admissions

Current students may have some more detailed insight but I hope that website helps :)
That is a helpful breakdown for sure!
In general it's tough to say what they want year to year. I've had many friends accepted to places I wasn't, and vice versa.
In my opinion being diversified in your experiences is a big help. Their essays are highly meaningful in the admissions process as well.

I think they provide a pretty nice breakdown here! Holistic Admissions

Current students may have some more detailed insight but I hope that website helps :)
I already know of that page, I was more curious on any insight from current students, but thank you for sharing!!! A specific part I’m curious about is “quality of academic program”

• Care
On their site is a percentage breakdown that is helpful. Generally being well rounded and diversified is the best bet. So like someone with a 4.0 GPA and little experience with only one species would potentially be less likely to be accepted than someone with a 3.5 and a variety of experience. It might be the exact opposite somewhere else. I have friends who were accepted in places I wasn't and vice versa.

That is a helpful breakdown for sure!
In general it's tough to say what they want year to year. I've had many friends accepted to places I wasn't, and vice versa.
In my opinion being diversified in your experiences is a big help. Their essays are highly meaningful in the admissions process as well.
Do they have any sort of breakdown of recent classes stats online that I missed?

I have a lower GPA which is why I focused more on schools with a holistic approach

Not that I know of, I don't think they release that info.

Not that I know of, I don't think they release that info.
Guess I would have liked to compare even if it does change yearly 😂 What’s your thought on what they evaluate for “qualify for academic program”??

Guess I would have liked to compare even if it does change yearly 😂 What’s your thought on what they evaluate for “qualify for academic program”??
This is just my guess, but I would imagine it’s to account for the difference of going to a community or smaller college versus a well known four-year university?

I went to an information session this past June, and Mrs. Mailey suggested that it includes: 1) how competitive admission was for your undergraduate school (e.g., Cornell, Harvard, Yale, ... would put you at the top) and 2) quality of program (e.g., graduate degrees, honors, etc. so that someone with a PhD or MS would be above someone with a BS). This is just my understanding though, so it might be wrong! I certainly have NO clue about the mystery that is veterinary school admission :)

Someone posted on another thread that admissions offices choose applications to read by sticking them to the wall, throwing darts at them, and seeing which ones get hit. Sometimes I think that there are so many amazing candidates that the decision process is something similar lol.

This is just my guess, but I would imagine it’s to account for the difference of going to a community or smaller college versus a well known four-year university?
I went to an information session this past June, and Mrs. Mailey suggested that it includes: 1) how competitive admission was for your undergraduate school (e.g., Cornell, Harvard, Yale, ... would put you at the top) and 2) quality of program (e.g., graduate degrees, honors, etc. so that someone with a PhD or MS would be above someone with a BS). This is just my understanding though, so it might be wrong! I certainly have NO clue about the mystery that is veterinary school admission :)

Someone posted on another thread that admissions offices choose applications to read by sticking them to the wall, throwing darts at them, and seeing which ones get hit. Sometimes I think that there are so many amazing candidates that the decision process is something similar lol.
Thank you!! I guess having an MBA is on my side possibly we’ll it wasn’t completed at the time but it was enrolled in the last 2 classes for it. My undergraduate school is known in the area to be a good one (small liberal arts school) but I’m not sure how well known it is outside of the state

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we should be expecting a phone call or an email? I have unknown callers screened so I really want to make sure I don’t miss anything.
Last year, they made phone calls for acceptances on Monday and Tuesday after the new year and then sent out emails the following day for rejections. I am guessing it will be the same this year!

Reactions: 2 users
Last year, they made phone calls for acceptances on Monday and Tuesday after the new year and then sent out emails the following day for rejections. I am guessing it will be the same this year!
Good to know they call on two days!

I can’t remember if this has been asked and answered but do we need to send fall transcripts if we have pending prerequisites?

I’m actually so nervous for tomorrow, I keep just trying to not think about it

Reactions: 4 users
Do they make all calls on one day? Or could we be called Tuesday as well?
I guess an email was sent out at some point saying decisions will be emailed. I think it was sent out to people who are signed up for a newsletter from them because I don’t remember getting it. I can try to find a picture of it someone posted on Facebook of it if you want??

I guess an email was sent out at some point saying decisions will be emailed. I think it was sent out to people who are signed up for a newsletter from them because I don’t remember getting it. I can try to find a picture of it someone posted on Facebook of it if you want??

Attachments

• F553DB87-D088-45A3-9B37-A6F0875B941C.png
    F553DB87-D088-45A3-9B37-A6F0875B941C.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 251
I think they say that because they don’t call everyone (only people who are accepted) so waitlisted and rejected people are only notified by email. They also send an official acceptance email a few days later, so everyone is notified by email at some point. It’s possible they will change it up this year, but they’ve called people in multiple cycles from my understanding.

I think they say that because they don’t call everyone (only people who are accepted) so waitlisted and rejected people are only notified by email. They also send an official acceptance email a few days later, so everyone is notified by email at some point. It’s possible they will change it up this year, but they’ve called people in multiple cycles from my understanding.
If they call, it better come up saying Cornell because I ignore calls badly 😂 But that was the same pic I was gonna go find from Facebook so thank you for sharing

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I don’t want to cause panic, but does everyone have the Dean’s Certification of Good Standing form on their DVM tracking page? I know it might be a glitch and that it is there for everyone, but in fine print it says denied students don’t receive this form.

Got a phone call, IS accepted!! It’s happening everyone!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
I don’t want to cause panic, but does everyone have the Dean’s Certification of Good Standing form on their DVM tracking page? I know it might be a glitch and that it is there for everyone, but in fine print it says denied students don’t receive this form.
I see it on my page, not sure but I thought it was always there?

I was hoping the same thing. Maybe we are right???

I feel like if we are all seeing it, it is probably there for everyone. Bummer :(

OOS acceptance call @9 am EST!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I also see the form, but I think it was always there (I could be wrong though!)

I think that thing has been there! Do we think there’s any order to the calls?

I think that thing has been there! Do we think there’s any order to the calls?
From what I've seen, I think different faculty get their own list of people to call at any point over the 2 day period, so the order of people that get called doesn't mean anything.

From what I've seen, I think different faculty get their own list of people to call at any point over the 2 day period, so the order of people that get called doesn't mean anything.
I was curious if it was like alphabetical or anything. Thank you!!

For people that have gotten calls: how are they showing up on caller ID?

I’ve heard that they also might call based on time zone. Like I doubt they would call someone in the PST because it’s not even 7a there.
Do they normally send out the emails with waitlist and rejection notification on the second day, after all of the calls?

Just got the call at 10 AM EST! OOS acceptance! She said they will be updating portals/sending emails in a couple of days, so I'm guessing Wednesday after all the calls go out.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m holding hope whoever has my name is waiting til lunch time 😂😂😂

of course my phone has been in do not disturb mode oops! but I haven't gotten a call either. my portal has always had the dean's certification thing. fingers crossed!

HOLY CRAP I JUST THE CALL IS ACCEPTED!!! I was so shocked on the phone I was speechless. Cornell has been my dream since I started all of this

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Just got the call at 10 AM EST! OOS acceptance! She said they will be updating portals/sending emails in a couple of days, so I'm guessing Wednesday after all the calls go out.
What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

Me waiting for the call like
Mr Mayor Waiting GIF by NBC

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users