Cornell Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay! Anyone else get an early acceptance? :clap: Happy Holidays to all and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

dude, didnt you start the uchicago class of 2008 thread too? pick a school man!

Originally posted by exmike
dude, didnt you start the uchicago class of 2008 thread too? pick a school man!

Hey joint-degree programs are not so uncommon anymore nowadays...maybe he's interested in joint-school MD program...exmike, that's the trend for the Class of 2008, learn from master JulianCrane :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell sent out acceptances already?

Seriously though, JulianCrane, don't choose your final school until you've heard from all your potential schools and have financial aid information in hand. I've got a feeling that this won't be the last thread you start for XXXX Class of 2008.

tf

congrats julian! :) are you md/phd or just md?

Congrats Julian - obviously you're a great candidate to get accepted to all these schools.

But, you know, you don't have to start a thread for every single one of your acceptances. You can post in the sticky at the top.

it seems like everyone but me got the email :(

Cornell is too good that I rejected it pre-primary :p

DOOD!! Yeah, man! I checked my email too!! AND... And... and... nothing... yet... damn... :(

Yeah, I didn't get one either, maybe they are typing the names in one at a time... (riiiiiiiight).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my email today too... I feel blessed, and rather surprised. It's lovely to have choices. One is fine as well.

I got the e-mial this morning!!!! :clap:

Wow, that's 5 SDNers if my count is correct.... seems like they are giving out more than a handful considering many people aren't even on SDN.

May I ask, do most of you also have acceptances at other "top" schools such as WashU, Stanford, etc.?

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Wow, that's 5 SDNers if my count is correct.... seems like they are giving out more than a handful considering many people aren't even on SDN.

No kidding... they told me at the interview that they only accept 100 people or so to fill their class and use the waitlisted people to fill in later. There was a couple of other people on sdn who said they got the acceptance email earlier, and that makes it 7 sdn'ers so far. I can't imagine sdn'ers representing more than a quarter of the applicant pool, so I'm guessing there's at least 30 people or so who were accepted already...

Man... it doesn't look like my chances are lookin good at this point... :(

Originally posted by kwanny
No kidding... they told me at the interview that they only accept 100 people or so to fill their class and use the waitlisted people to fill in later. There was a couple of other people on sdn who said they got the acceptance email earlier, and that makes it 7 sdn'ers so far. I can't imagine sdn'ers representing more than a quarter of the applicant pool, so I'm guessing there's at least 30 people or so who were accepted already...

Man... it doesn't look like my chances are lookin good at this point... :(

Do those 101 students accepted include the MSTP's?

Well I looked at US News a few weeks ago and they accept about 200 out of 700 interviewees total... so I would guess yeah about 30 now, up to 200 in March, and then pull from the waitlist... Does anyone know if US news stats for acceptances are the total offered including waitlisted ppl or if the wailisted people are replacing slots in the 200 or so original acceptances? That would be helpful to know, but some schools probably report the information in different ways so maybe there is no way to know. Basically, we have to wait till March and alot of us will be waitlisted and then if we are persistent we might get in later. That's my outlook anyway.

Heh. This was quite the dramatic acceptance for me. I have a terrible case of the flu this weekend, and I woke up this morning with a little turtle head poking out. After proceeding to the bathroom and releasing what seemed to be 3 quarts of liquid excrement, I checked my mail and found out that I'm in.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Well I looked at US News a few weeks ago and they accept about 200 out of 700 interviewees total... so I would guess yeah about 30 now, up to 200 in March, and then pull from the waitlist... Does anyone know if US news stats for acceptances are the total offered including waitlisted ppl or if the wailisted people are replacing slots in the 200 or so original acceptances? That would be helpful to know, but some schools probably report the information in different ways so maybe there is no way to know. Basically, we have to wait till March and alot of us will be waitlisted and then if we are persistent we might get in later. That's my outlook anyway.

I'm pretty positive that it includes the people off the waitlist. Not only was I told that they give straight acceptances to around a hundred people, they also told me at the interview that like half the people in their class was taken off the waitlist.

Wow, congrats to all those who got accepted. You guys must be real superstars! Guess the rest of us will have to wait till March. DW needs to post on this thread and assure us that we all still have a chance ;)

so here's how it works -- take the number of students in a class...now increase it to 150-200% that's roughly how many acceptances any med school will hand out, give or take a few dozen.... they're counting on people dropping off their list due to financial aid, higher schools on the list, or other personal reasons later on, so they accept more than they need to make sure they fill (and at the same time hoping they don't over subscribe a class)

schools aren't going to accept this 150% right off the bat. instead they are going to send out a few early acceptances -- this is generally the MD/PhDs, early decision, maybe some URMs and some other candidates -- the ones deemed to be "prizeworthy" that will have their choices of schools when the time comes. this is only a "handful" of admissions compared to the 150 to 200% that will ultimately be accepted....

the remainder of the admissions will go out at some later deadline, usually march. after this, the waiting game begins -- may 15th comes and goes -- by that deadline, students are not allowed to hold multiple acceptances or risk losing all positions. after may 15th, accepted students start to disappear from the accepted list, and now the schools start to dip into the waitlists.

so those of you that have heard, congratulations. those of you that haven't -- don't lose all hope...you still have some chance.

Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
Heh. This was quite the dramatic acceptance for me. I have a terrible case of the flu this weekend, and I woke up this morning with a little turtle head poking out. After proceeding to the bathroom and releasing what seemed to be 3 quarts of liquid excrement, I checked my mail and found out that I'm in.

OK it used to be funny but now it's just getting kinda annoying...