cornell IM - so high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostMD08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't visited in a while and have read a few ROL posts and see that Cornell is ranked pretty highly for some.

Can anyone elaborate on why? I've heard some + and -'s. My main concerns right now are the numbers of private patients and resident autonomy (i've heard lots or privates and little autonomy). Is this some evil rumor spread on the interview trail or truth?

While I'm at it I'll throw my 2 pennies in. I am somewhat location bound to NYC area. At the top of my list in no particular order (mostly because I do not know, yikes!) AECOM-Montefiore, Cornell and Yale PC. How would posters rank those? I am about 80% into primary care. 20% uncertainty (hey you never know what is going to happen... I may have an epiphany). :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I think that cornell is ranked highly by applicants because of their subsidized housing and nice location. I remember back when I was interviewing, there were limos driving by.

So I haven't visited in a while and have read a few ROL posts and see that Cornell is ranked pretty highly for some.

Can anyone elaborate on why? I've heard some + and -'s. My main concerns right now are the numbers of private patients and resident autonomy (i've heard lots or privates and little autonomy). Is this some evil rumor spread on the interview trail or truth?

While I'm at it I'll throw my 2 pennies in. I am somewhat location bound to NYC area. At the top of my list in no particular order (mostly because I do not know, yikes!) AECOM-Montefiore, Cornell and Yale PC. How would posters rank those? I am about 80% into primary care. 20% uncertainty (hey you never know what is going to happen... I may have an epiphany). :rolleyes:

I went to the Cornell interview and was very impressed, their facilities were great, location UNBEATABLE, residents seemed pretty nice. I think its very front loaded, so u work hard as an intern (but thats pretty much universal). They subs. housing, beautiful housing, right accross the street, its in a beautiful part of NYC! teaching seems fantastic, you work with some of the best attendings out there. Their match list seemed solid. The one negative is if you're NOT a US citizen they don't sponsor H1B visas anymore (same with Columbia) new policy over the last year... so you're stuck with a J-1 (even if you are a US grad). That being said, if you love NYC and want a stellar program (and are a US citizen) this is the place for you!!!

I interviewed at all three places above:

I would rank:
1) AECOM/monte (I prefer NYC, huge range of pathology, terrific residents, great teaching, decent fellowship match)
2) Yale PC (great program, terrific PD, excellent facilities, but the negative is the location (this is subjective) and the 2 hospitals are very far apart, were do u live? in NH, Waterbury or somewhere in b/w either way when you're post call somewhere you will have to drive far!, that being said Waterbury is an excellent hospital, great attendings, residents are SUPER nice!)
wouldn't rank Cornell (based ONLY on the visa issue, otherwise it would be either 1 or 2 on this short list)

Members don't see this ad :)
My main concerns right now are the numbers of private patients and resident autonomy (i've heard lots or privates and little autonomy). Is this some evil rumor spread on the interview trail or truth?

This is exactly the impression I got from my interview day at Cornell. I really wanted to like this place. It does have a good reputation, good fellowship placement, and many graduates who go into academic careers. It also has the awesome subsidized housing in an awesome part of New York. My interviewer, however, told me flat-out that he does not allow residents to make any decisions without consulting him. He said that every single order must go through him before it is placed, and he expressed frustration that he isn't allowed to just write the orders himself.

I am sure that residents at Cornell get an excellent education, but the lack of autonomy really does not suit my particular learning style.

This is exactly the impression I got from my interview day at Cornell. I really wanted to like this place. It does have a good reputation, good fellowship placement, and many graduates who go into academic careers. It also has the awesome subsidized housing in an awesome part of New York. My interviewer, however, told me flat-out that he does not allow residents to make any decisions without consulting him. He said that every single order must go through him before it is placed, and he expressed frustration that he isn't allowed to just write the orders himself.

I am sure that residents at Cornell get an excellent education, but the lack of autonomy really does not suit my particular learning style.

I wonder who that was. I have not worked with an attending such as that during my time here.