Cornell MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonic Hedgehog

MSTP guru
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Choker,

I don't think you should jump to conclusions about a school without having the facts straight. In fact, I was talking to the Cornell MSTP administrator about this and she had no knowledge of anything of this sort of happening, and denied it because she was there when the phone calls were made. (none were made to waitlisted applicants). I think at this point since we don't know if your friend lied (because he was upset over being waitlisted) or if the Cornell people lied (over the embarrassment of having to admit a glitch), I think it's best to take second-hand information with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad.

.... oops.. sorry.

That was supposed to be a reply to a different thread. Anyone know how to end this thread?

listen, i know you dont know me or my friend, but i would NEVER make something like that up. as soon as it happened, he called me and all my other friends about it. not only that, but our school dean was ALSO aware of it. now just ask yourself this question: is it possible, that the person that was making the phone calls did not want to tell any of his colleagues of his grievous error? you spoke to a woman, but my friend was called by a man. also, i dont think a school would advertise or fess up to such a muck up.
btw- the call happened in the middle of dec (this is just fyi and i have no point)
now cornell does NOT call waitlisted applicants

BUT in this case, he was called a few minutes earlier WITH an acceptance. the waitlist call was just a cancellation of the acceptance and a huge apology.

now granted, i was NOT there when my friend was called, but i know him VERY VERY well and can vouch for his honesty/character. he called me as SOON as it happened and immediately told everyone else. not only that, but i've ran into random people at my interviews that have also met him and heard his story (it was funny, i mentioned his story and this girl was like "the exact same thing happened to this guy i met at an interview yesterday" and it was the same guy). now either my friend has some SERIOUS psychological problems and has taken this lie to a new level by telling even random strangers, and has managed to hide this secret compulsive-sociopathic side of him from me for the past 4 years, or the woman at cornell either forgot/really didn't know about the situation/or was lying to save face from a really really big screw up.

Besides, waitlists at cornell (even the MSTP) have yet to go out_ they go out in march. how could he know he was waitlisted without the call?

Look -

I'm not saying that you're not trustworthy or that your friend is a liar. I'm just being my own skeptical self..

I don't take ANYTHING on faith.. whether it's from you, or your friend. After all, you must admit that I don't know you or your friend, nor do I know the Cornell administrators that well. But the point I'm simply making is that WITHOUT first-hand information (since this didn't happen to you, and only happened to a friend of yours), it's hard for us (impartial observers) to evaluate what really happened.

I admit that one thing can be more likely over another, but something being LIKELY does not make it absolutely true.