Cornell or UCLA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scifi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma right now for choosing schools. I was wondering which schools you guys would choose. For myself, UCLA is much more convenient in the sense that I can save $ by living at home while going to school (though suffering a long commute every day), save even more $ on in state tuition while still going to a great school. However, I also have this burning desire to leave home and experience life in a new environment and I love the idea of living in NYC (especially since it's a nice neighborhood, too). And Cornell has pretty decent financial aid so I wouldn't be as much in debt as I would at most private schools. But then again it is sooooo far from home and I am not sure how I would adjust to living in the 10x10 rooms they have for first years. Both schools have PBL (although UCLA is implementing a new organ based curriculum so MSIs are in a sense guinea pigs). Also, I have a feeling that I will end up wanting to come back to cali for residency.

That being said, which woudl you choose??

Members don't see this ad.

PS: Cornell has an H/P/NP grading system vs. UCLA's P/NP system, which, I have to admit, is a very important factor for me.