Cornell PD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intmed3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I interviewed at Cornell back in December everyone was talking like they should announce who the PD was going to be any day. Has anyone heard anything about how close they might be to naming someone? I liked the program, but would feel more comfortable ranking them highly if I knew they had someone coming.

Members don't see this ad.

I was at Cornell recently, and the chair told us that they would like to announce the new PD, but can't do so at this time. There is no guarantee that it will be announced before rank lists are due.

I was at Cornell recently, and the chair told us that they would like to announce the new PD, but can't do so at this time. There is no guarantee that it will be announced before rank lists are due.

I just found this really funny :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell will announce the new PD after Match Day. The reason provided was that he/she is currently a PD at a "top tier" program and that it would be best to wait. I have a guess (probably a long-shot).

I just found this really funny :laugh:

BWAAAHAHAHAHA!! :D

Wow...that is beyond shady...that basically means that no one knows what the heck they are getting if they match at Cornell. It would suck if the new PD from a "top tier" program that folks are considering BECAUSE of their PD ends up leaving to go to Cornell. Honestly...it should be a requirement that this type of change is announced earlier in the season. Why did the first one leave?

Granted, I didn't apply there...maybe this was announced earlier. But still...I think I'm worried that it may be a PD from a top choice.:confused:

Last edited:
Cornell will announce the new PD after Match Day. The reason provided was that he/she is currently a PD at a "top tier" program and that it would be best to wait. I have a guess (probably a long-shot).

That's what they told my group, too. I think it's either the PD at Northwestern (80%) or Penn (20%), though they did say that it was a female not from the northeast (does Philadelphia count as Middle Atlantic? :))

That's what they told my group, too. I think it's either the PD at Northwestern (80%) or Penn (20%), though they did say that it was a female not from the northeast (does Philadelphia count as Middle Atlantic? :))

Wow...this all seems very sketchy to me. A PD can have a huge impact on someone's decision to go to a program (Dr. Wayne especially Northwestern seemed very dynamic and I liked her a lot), and I know I would feel upset and somewhat deceived if I found out just after match day that a deal had been struck months earlier that my PD was leaving...and I doubt I'm the only one who would feel this way!

Continuing the trend of complete speculation -- the PD at Duke would fit that description...though I gathered from my interview there that she bleeds Duke blue...

Similarly related to that but I wonder how the current PGY2s feel about the lack of a PD because I was under the impression that they go out of their way to make phone calls, etc.

Continuing the trend of complete speculation -- the PD at Duke would fit that description...though I gathered from my interview there that she bleeds Duke blue...

haha, true houstoncfh... she would die first before moving to chapel hill, let alone nyc :laugh:

i loved her though, she was awesome

Does UPMC count as the northeast? If she's going to Cornell it would probably change my list...

This whole thing is rather unprofessional IMO

Does UPMC count as the northeast? If she's going to Cornell it would probably change my list...

This whole thing is rather unprofessional IMO

Is the UPMC PD moving? I didnt get any indication of that on my interview day there......she seems to be really dedicated to Pitt with her women's health track and all...and after all, they are a part of the EIP...so would she just leave midway? Now I'm drawn into this!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
She fits the mold of a young female PD at a good program...

She fits the mold of a young female PD at a good program...

Where did you get the 'young' from? I didnt see it on this thread :). I would really doubt she would leave Pitt with the EIP thing on, simply because it appeared to me that the EIP is a license to do pretty much what you want with relatively minimal interference from the ACGME for 10 years...and for some reason that appears to me like it would be a real opportunity for PDs to "wave their wands"...

I'm one of the chief residents at UPMC right now, and I want to tell everyone that our program director is NOT GOING TO CORNELL. Fortunately for all of us and for all of you who will be matching here, she is here to stay! I can't say this enough - she's the best PD you could hope for...

Anyone else get that email from the chair at Cornell?

Makes me think of when you're buying a hotel on Hotwire, where they're like, "this is the best hotel ever, and as soon as you book a room, we'll tell you exactly what hotel you're staying at!!!!"

For what it's worth, I recall a mention that the new PD is from an Ivy league associated program...

For what it's worth, I recall a mention that the new PD is from an Ivy league associated program...

Not to say you're mis-remembering, but I definitely was told that it was someone "not from the Northeast." Now, whether or not Penn's in the northeast or middle Atlantic (though it sounded like the Cornell IM Chair seemed to think that NYC was in the northeast) is up for debate, but methinks one of us must be wrong.

LB from penn? I would be SHOCKED! my money is on the uchicago woman since that wouldn't leave the program ultra devastated, like penn lady's departure would. she fits the criteria of "a track record in successful residency education and leadership, an energetic personality and a commitment to house officer mentorship." how many women program director-ish people at top places can there be. NYU's is most probably staying put. surely other people have guesses too or can comment on this.

JO definitely fits PD-esque woman not from northeast (i.e. midwest) who is up and coming and probably would logically benefit from the move.

Just for kicks, when I first read female PD from an Ivy League-"associated" program, my first thought was Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island :laugh:.

LB from penn? I would be SHOCKED! my money is on the uchicago woman since that wouldn't leave the program ultra devastated, like penn lady's departure would. she fits the criteria of "a track record in successful residency education and leadership, an energetic personality and a commitment to house officer mentorship." how many women program director-ish people at top places can there be. NYU's is most probably staying put. surely other people have guesses too or can comment on this.

JO definitely fits PD-esque woman not from northeast (i.e. midwest) who is up and coming and probably would logically benefit from the move.

Quite possible although JO isn't a PD at present - she's an associate PD at UChicago. I've heard from several residents that the PD from Northwestern is leaving. Interestingly, she sent an e-mail to the applicants today suggesting she is staying around. One person I met actually said she thinks DW is going to Cornell. After all, she is from NYC and loves the Yankees! (And very superficially, Cornell and Northwestern seem a lot alike - Magnificent Mile/Upper East Side, both are "rich" institutions with similar patient populations, etc.

Quite possible although JO isn't a PD at present - she's an associate PD at UChicago. I've heard from several residents that the PD from Northwestern is leaving. Interestingly, she sent an e-mail to the applicants today suggesting she is staying around. One person I met actually said she thinks DW is going to Cornell. After all, she is from NYC and loves the Yankees! (And very superficially, Cornell and Northwestern seem a lot alike - Magnificent Mile/Upper East Side, both are "rich" institutions with similar patient populations, etc.

Again makes you wonder how many of those PDs read (or make their admin read) SDN.

Yes, interesting about DW, but I think that might have been backformation from what was written on SDN. However, to add to my JO hypothesis, it's not like the Cornell chair wrote "she is a PD at another program"... more like "she has experience mentoring" or whatever. I mean, I figure for all intents and purposes JO does quite a lot there, since she picks people, and JW seems to be more focused on the residents per se. it seemed like at uchicago, applicant selection was like a 3 headed hydra with JW at the center, but with each head still being important. the APD still does enough for her to qualify for APD -> PD promotion in my feeling.

However, this Brown-affiliate seems certainly possible. Who will miss the program director at some small unknown place... with credentials and can transform another program.

I'm sure they do!

That's why they know nothing about me here based on my posts. How much do you want to bet they talk about US with each other too?! It's only fair mis hermanos y hermanas.

To summarize, Cornell's new PD could be somewhere in this crowd:

DepartmentStore.jpg

Yes, interesting about DW, but I think that might have been backformation from what was written on SDN. However, to add to my JO hypothesis, it's not like the Cornell chair wrote "she is a PD at another program"... more like "she has experience mentoring" or whatever. I mean, I figure for all intents and purposes JO does quite a lot there, since she picks people, and JW seems to be more focused on the residents per se. it seemed like at uchicago, applicant selection was like a 3 headed hydra with JW at the center, but with each head still being important. the APD still does enough for her to qualify for APD -> PD promotion in my feeling.

However, this Brown-affiliate seems certainly possible. Who will miss the program director at some small unknown place... with credentials and can transform another program.

Yea, I think this is true about UChicago. JO fits the bill for a future PD.

For those of you considering Penn for residency who have read this ---> Lisa Bellini isn't going anywhere. She is definitely a huge part of Penn's success and is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Cornell resident here. This isn't a shady situation. They have had someone hired for some time now and it was his/her decision to wait until after match day so he/she wouldn't screw over their current program by leaving before match. Our program director has been the medicine dept. chair this year. He's been fantastic. Either way, I'm excited to see who our new PD.

Didn't they announce the new Cornell PD by email already? I reckon.

Nope. The email we got read as follows:

"Dear Applicant:

We are very excited to announce the successful recruitment of our top choice candidate as our new Program Director. She will begin in June 2010. Although we are burning to tell you who she is, for personal reasons she is not yet at liberty to announce. Let us reassure you however that she possesses all that you would ask for in a Program Director: a track record in successful residency education and leadership, an energetic personality and a commitment to house officer mentorship. We are thrilled with her imminent arrival and are confident that you will find her fully at the helm when you begin your internship.

Sincerely,"

Rumor on the street is that the new PD is officially starting in April.

Isn't the current Cornell IM chair formerly from Penn?

yes. dept chair at penn before cornell.

As someone who went through Penn residency during the transition from AS to RS - I can easily say that Penn only got better with their new Chairman. RS is an amazing asset. Not only did he immediately make an impact in things like resident report, but our match list got better. He is a huge proponent of the residents.

That being said, let me reiterate - Penn's PD is not going anywhere. For those people interested in Penn - count on that!

I just re-read DW's email (as shown below) and it definitely sounds like she'll be sticking around. Have you or anyone else heard any more news or rumors as to who's taking over the Cornell PD spot?

Now that interview season is winding down, I wanted to thank each of you for
visiting Northwestern. I am so impressed by the enthusiasm you have for
internal medicine and know you will all make many important contributions to
our field in the future. Dr Vaughan and I look forward to welcoming another
superior class of interns to Northwestern in June
and I am excited about some
new opportunities and programs for our residents in 2010-11. I am fortunate
to have a wonderful job at a school I love, and look forward to working with
another terrific Northwestern residency class over the next three years

I just re-read DW's email (as shown below) and it definitely sounds like she'll be sticking around. Have you or anyone else heard any more news or rumors as to who's taking over the Cornell PD spot?

Now that interview season is winding down, I wanted to thank each of you for
visiting Northwestern. I am so impressed by the enthusiasm you have for
internal medicine and know you will all make many important contributions to
our field in the future. Dr Vaughan and I look forward to welcoming another
superior class of interns to Northwestern in June
and I am excited about some
new opportunities and programs for our residents in 2010-11. I am fortunate
to have a wonderful job at a school I love, and look forward to working with
another terrific Northwestern residency class over the next three years

No, it's obviously JO or that Brown-affiliated lady. I was thinking the new chairman at Cornell could have easily lured LB there... which also may be very well be a possibility and change the tides a bit.

No, it's obviously JO or that Brown-affiliated lady. I was thinking the new chairman at Cornell could have easily lured LB there... which also may be very well be a possibility and change the tides a bit.

Okay, that Brown-affiliated lady was a joke initiated by me...I would really love to see if it comes true, but I wouldnt put my money on it..I was just fooling around :p

The new chairman at Cornell left about 3 years ago or so. The new chairman at Penn was a WELCOME replacement so far as the housestaff were concerned - and the new Chair (RS) immediately took more interest in housestaff, i.e. teaching, attending, lobbying for fellowship matches, etc. Now, about the PD - LB is not only the program director, but also is involved in graduate medical education/adminstration (all residency programs) and has numerous other hats. Aside from the fact that I know for a fact that she's not leaving Penn, if she were to take another job it would probably be a job that had the word "dean" or "chair" in it. She's a giant in medical education. She's a tenured Professor - no reason to leave a better medicine program in order to have the same job at a different program. Lateral movements make no sense. Moves should be for promotions.

The new chairman at Cornell left about 3 years ago or so. The new chairman at Penn was a WELCOME replacement so far as the housestaff were concerned - and the new Chair (RS) immediately took more interest in housestaff, i.e. teaching, attending, lobbying for fellowship matches, etc. Now, about the PD - LB is not only the program director, but also is involved in graduate medical education/adminstration (all residency programs) and has numerous other hats. Aside from the fact that I know for a fact that she's not leaving Penn, if she were to take another job it would probably be a job that had the word "dean" or "chair" in it. She's a giant in medical education. She's a tenured Professor - no reason to leave a better medicine program in order to have the same job at a different program. Lateral movements make no sense. Moves should be for promotions.

In reference to the above, do you know why the Penn Chair left to be Chair at Cornell i.e. was it voluntary?

So now that the ROLs are submitted, can someone reveal the new PD?

To remain anonymous I created a new ID.

The new PD at Cornell is the current PD at Indiana University (Lia Logio). She is Hopkins trained and successfully obtained EIP status for IU. She is well liked by the housestaff. We are sad to have her leave.

She will also be the new Vice Chair of Education.

I figured I'd let the info out since mass emails have been sent out around IU.

The new PD at Cornell is the current PD at Indiana University (Lia Logio). She is Hopkins trained and successfully obtained EIP status for IU. She is well liked by the housestaff. We are sad to have her leave.

She only has two publications listed on pubmed, is there any significance to that?

Okay, just being silly with that one.

She only has two publications listed on pubmed, is there any significance to that?

Okay, just being silly with that one.

Yes - one plausible hypothesis is taht she would rather be really involved in resident education and the well-being of the program, rather than having a huge bibliography.

I am surprised to hear that she is well liked by the housestaff. My experience is the opposite. She is not well liked at all except for some of the chief residents who became chiefs because they "well liked" her. I would like to wish the best of luck to the Cornell people in dealing with her. I would shy away from any program just because of her presence.