1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Cornell Residents & Housing Cost

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by bbpiano1, Dec 2, 2008.

1. bbpiano1

bbpiano1 Member
    5+ Year Member

I've heard that Cornell residents get subsidized housing, but can anyone offer examples of how much the rent actually is? And is it the same for your entire residency or does it increase each year? Do they charge lots of annoying maintenance fees?

bb

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BlondeDocteur

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've looked into this extensively.

There is a wide variety of housing options, and a concomitant variety in price. The highest end is an absolutely stunning new-construction highrise with floor-to-ceiling windows, marble baths, hardwood floors, 11' ceilings, spacious bedrooms, etc. The most expensive units in that building are 3-BRs running at $4300-$5000 a month (which is way below market price).

The cheapest option would be a studio apartment in the older buildings, which runs at $1400- $1700 a month. That is deducted directly from your hospital paycheck so you don't have to worry about remembering to pay rent.

If you're from out of town you might find that shockingly high, but the going rate on the UES is much, much higher.

Cf: www.natefind.com

4. sdnstud

sdnstud 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I might be wrong, but when I interviewed there several weeks ago, I was told that a studio at one of the older buildings runs as low as ~$1000-1100. My tour guide took me to his apartment, which was a 1bdrm in the high-end building and he told me he pays $1600 a month.

5. BlondeDocteur

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The high-end building in question being the Helmsley, or 1330 First Ave? 1330 is the uber-nice one. A studio in the Helmsley runs about $1400-$1700, and the older buildings were slightly cheaper than that-- if it's as low as $1000, it's the first I've heard. I saw the published rates at $1300.