Cornell & Upper East Side area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYGirl12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was recently accepted to the Tri-Institutional MD/PhD Summer Internship program. I'm not so familiar with the Upper East Side area and would like some info about:

- how safe it is
- how far is it from new york presbyterian? the program includes some shadowing at presby.
- the lady from cornell said that i'd be staying in the dorm across the street from cornell...anyone know if there are some eating places, grocers and shopping centers near (within walking distance)?

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No need to worry… the area around the hospital is very safe and there are lots of restaurants, delis, convenience stores etc in the area. There are always people around, since there are 2 major hospitals in the area. The only down side is that the hospital is on York Ave which is basically at the East river, so its about 4 long blocks to the subway, but on the upside there are cross town buses. I currently work in the area, so PM me if you have more questions

NYGirl12 said:
Hi guys,

I was recently accepted to the Tri-Institutional MD/PhD Summer Internship program. I'm not so familiar with the Upper East Side area and would like some info about:

- how safe it is
- how far is it from new york presbyterian? the program includes some shadowing at presby.
- the lady from cornell said that i'd be staying in the dorm across the street from cornell...anyone know if there are some eating places, grocers and shopping centers near (within walking distance)?

thanks in advance.

Mmm fresh meat. Muahahahaa

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, Cornell's on 69th and York

Revolution #9 said:
Upper East Side? I thought Cornell was on 34th street :confused:

NYGirl12 said:
Hi guys,

- how safe it is

thanks in advance.

there are a million places to eat in the area-- everything from mcdonalds to sushi to expensive italian. i recommend: henry's evergreen (chinese), ming's garden (chinese/japanese), fusha (asian fusion), pintaile's pizza, and ultimate pizza. all are on 1st and 2nd avenues within a 5-block radius of the hospital.

if you don't mind the walk, the best place to shop for groceries is the bridgemarket food emporium (59th and 1st).

the dorm you'll be staying in is practically on top of a construction site, so bring earplugs.

juniper456 said:
the dorm you'll be staying in is practically on top of a construction site, so bring earplugs.

... and im a light sleeper :eek:

but nyc should be fun though :)

NYGirl12 said:
Hi guys,

- how safe it is

thanks in advance.

you are probably thinking of MSSM (upper east side)

Cornell is located in a very safe area (Columbia is not. 168th st) but there is a construction going on.

Without Wax said:

Cornell is located in a very safe area (Columbia is not. 168th st) but there is a construction going on.

You'll get no argument with me regarding the Columbia neighborhood, but really Sinai isn't that bad. Sure, you don't want to travel too far north of the hospital, but the area around the hospital and the dorms is fine. Go a little further south and you are practically on top of blueblood type residences.

palminator2003 said:
You'll get no argument with me regarding the Columbia neighborhood, but really Sinai isn't that bad. Sure, you don't want to travel too far north of the hospital, but the area around the hospital and the dorms is fine. Go a little further south and you are practically on top of blueblood type residences.

Haha... Ya, you don't want to travel more than a block north of the hospital.

Without Wax said:

I currently live around the Columbia campus and it is TOTALLY safe - and more affordable!!!

The area around New York Hospital is, historically and presently, one of the most affluent neighborhoods in Manhattan. Therefore it is as safe as New York City gets, which is actually *quite* safe these days. [As an aside, the comment about Washington Heights crime rates dropping is accurate]. If you're living in hospital or medical school housing at Cornell then you'll only be commuting across York Avenue. Housing is cheap, safe, affordable and comfortable. If you're in Olin then you will have A/C already installed in your room and a bathroom that you share with one other person. There is a kitchen on every floor.

There are many cheap restaurants in the area, apart from the usual franchise stuff. Tang Tang on 78th/2nd is a favorite cheapie for delicious chinese food. I could list two dozen within a few blocks that have dinners for $7-8 or less, but for more restaurants in the area a good resource is [www.menupages.com]. As far as groceries go, there are two small shops across the street from the dorms, and then there is Food Emporium on 71st/1st and Gristede's on 72nd/1st and my personal favorite Gourmet Garage on 64th/2nd-3rd.

There is active construction at New York Hospital, so during the daylight hours it is noisier than your usual Manhattan background noise. It's usually over by 5pm or so. It's a tolerable amount of noise.

Have a great summer!

The upper east side is real nice--anywhere below 100 st. and even above 100, it's not as bad as on the west side. Columbia Presbyterian is a bit different, as its very far uptown and on the west side. The area around CUPH is not very nice, but it's ok during the day. You'll have to take a cross-town bus to get to a AC or 19 subway stop on the west side, and take any one of those 4 subways up to 168th street. You can also ride the subways in a real roundabout way if you would rather do that; it's a bit longer, but still possible.