• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

tombradystheman

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
really stuck in terms of how to rank these two programs. wondering what people thought about how these two programs compare in terms of training and reputation? long term goal is fellowship in heme/onc and career in academics. cornell has sloan-kettering and BI has a weaker connection to dana-farber. liked them equally well and want to live my life in boston but think the opportunites and training at cornell might be better....

newenglandgal07

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If you want to go into heme onc I would definitely recommend the BI. It is affiliated with Harvard so you will have plenty of research opportunities. When it comes to heme/onc placement the BI residents do as well as the other Harvard hospitals' graduates. Last years class:6 went into heme onc, Dana Farber (2), Memorial Sloan Kettering, Brown, BIDMC, Columbia. I would say that's pretty darn good placement. I think I remember one of the residents saying they do get to rotate through the Farber.

About the Ads

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you want to go into heme onc I would definitely recommend the BI. It is affiliated with Harvard so you will have plenty of research opportunities. When it comes to heme/onc placement the BI residents do as well as the other Harvard hospitals' graduates. Last years class:6 went into heme onc, Dana Farber (2), Memorial Sloan Kettering, Brown, BIDMC, Columbia. I would say that's pretty darn good placement. I think I remember one of the residents saying they do get to rotate through the Farber.

Residents at SUNY downstate rotate at Sloan Kettering.

anonymous11

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
Residents at Cornell also rotate through Sloan. I think for Hem/Onc both BID and Cornell are great options.

merlin17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Status (Visible)
I really agree. Both are great for heme-onc. I would say if your ultimate goal is to be in Boston, BI might be a better choice since the Farber always has a preference for Boston residents and normally takes a handful from each of the Harvard programs. If you really want to be in NYC I'd say the opposite.

At BI, there are rotations in onc both at the Farber and BI itself. Plenty of opportunities to do research with faculty at both facilities. As a junior and senior you can also do electives at both sites.

mdcharak

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Of the New York programs, I would pick NYU over Cornell. NYU residents rotate through Sloan and the overall clinical training seemed better. The morning report at Cornell was a real let down -- only 2 of the 20 residents did any talking and the whole thing was run by the attendings. At NYU, it seemed like interns and residents worked harder but, in the end, wound up being more confident physicians. Plus the chairman of cornell is stepping down (the chair of penn is taking over). This may not have any affect on your future academic career, but any kind of change can potentially have destabilizing effects. So for all of these reasons I would be wary of Cornell. I didn't interview at BI so I can't comment on that, but I have heard good things. Also I think Boston is an easier city to live in than New York, but that's a personal preference.

phllystyl

n0t the j0ke [email protected]@
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2002
Philly -> NYC -> Philly (in 2009)
foundation.mine.nu
Status (Visible)
Of the New York programs, I would pick NYU over Cornell. NYU residents rotate through Sloan and the overall clinical training seemed better. The morning report at Cornell was a real let down -- only 2 of the 20 residents did any talking and the whole thing was run by the attendings. At NYU, it seemed like interns and residents worked harder but, in the end, wound up being more confident physicians. Plus the chairman of cornell is stepping down (the chair of penn is taking over). This may not have any affect on your future academic career, but any kind of change can potentially have destabilizing effects. So for all of these reasons I would be wary of Cornell. I didn't interview at BI so I can't comment on that, but I have heard good things. Also I think Boston is an easier city to live in than New York, but that's a personal preference.

Cornell residents spend a considerable amount of time at MSK. I know several interns who are already starting research projects there. Residents here consistently match quite well in Heme-Onc.

Being a cornell PGY1 and having worked there with NYU interns and residents, I saw no superiority in their level of clinical ability when compared to Cornell counterparts. I've said this before on SDN. And as far as how hard interns work, I think we work as hard as any program in NYC. This is a very frontloaded program.

With regards to Dr. Nachman's stepping down, he is an amazing physician and it is always a loss when someone like that retires. That being said, he and Dr. Pecker spent a massive amount of time choosing the new chair, and I trust their judgement in that regard. The negotiation of the new chair's contract is going to bring some changes to the program, all of which are considered positive per Dr. Pecker.

Finally, mdcharak, i support your decision to NOT come to NYP/Cornell. To everyone puttin together your rank lists, go where you felt is the best fit for you based on gut feeling, future goals, training, lifestyle, city, etc... whatever you feel is most important. mdcharak did not feel cornell, and I wish him the best of luck where ever he does end up training. Take care when reading posts on the interweb about programs based on a 1 day interview....

SNP

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
really stuck in terms of how to rank these two programs. wondering what people thought about how these two programs compare in terms of training and reputation? long term goal is fellowship in heme/onc and career in academics. cornell has sloan-kettering and BI has a weaker connection to dana-farber. liked them equally well and want to live my life in boston but think the opportunites and training at cornell might be better....

Hi,
I'm a BIDMC resident. When you are done training here, you will be a very competent physician and able to handle any situation. I can tell you that the opportunities you have in oncology at BIDMC are impressive. You can rotate through both BMT and solid onc at DFCI as well as BIDMC. BIDMC is much smaller than DFCI yet leaders in the entire fields of Renal CC, Melanoma, Ovarian cancer, Breast Cancer are here. Further, benign heme and certain areas of basic science are strong here.

And the Onc matches for the current 3rd yrs were: DFCI(3), BIDMC(3), Penn, MDAnderson, Fox Chase, Stanford, Moffit.

Good luck. You're not going to go wrong with either.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.