1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Cornell Waitlist

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by plainjane, May 13, 2008.

1. plainjane

Long time reader, first time poster.

I haven't seen a thread like this yet this year, but I am very interested in Cornell waitlist movement.

Has anyone heard any great news yet? From last year's thread, it seems like they wait until the 15th (or after) to send out acceptances, but that doesn't mean I haven't been checking my email constantly.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting! :luck:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. limbicsystem1

Removed

yeah, given it's drop in ranking and it's pbl system, i also feel that cornell isn't as popular this year. I went to cornell's 2nd look and it seemed that cornell was the best school most people there had gotten into so they had no other options. Meaning, i doubt they'll have much if not any waitlist movement. cornell just doesn't get much attention for the waitlist b/c everyone is more fixated on other schools such as penn waitlist, columbia waitlist, uc's.

4. mdacceptee2008

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i have to completely disagree with the above post.. i was at second look as well- tons of students were super excited about the school, but there were also plenty of students who were not sure if they were going. I met at least 4 who were choosing between Cornell and Harvard, 3 who were choosing between Hopkins and Cornell, and a handful of others with acceptances at Yale and Columbia. Also, I suspect that there will be quite a bit of waitlist movement.. a lot of people at 2nd look were still holding at least 3 acceptances (all to top tier schools). In addition, I spoke with many students who were thinking of turning Cornell down because of money. Cornell doesn't offer merit money and at least a dozen people I met were offered merit scholarships from schools like UChicago, Duke, and Michigan.

5. MacBook Pro

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Cornell usually has very little waitlist movement, probably due to the reason suggested by limbicsystem1. I wouldn't expect that to change.

6. LovelyMD

Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I met a first year student on my interview day who did turn down a number of higher ranked schools including Harvard and Columbia to attend Cornell. I didn't really ask people what schools people were choosing between though.

If Cornell was becoming less popular this year, I would expect there to be more waitlist movement because more people would drop their Cornell acceptance in favor of other schools... or maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying?

7. limbicsystem1

Removed

oh, I just said cornell was becoming less popular on sdn b/c of fascination over other school waitlists; you barely ever see cornell posts. Hope that clarifies it!

8. limbicsystem1

Removed

plainjane, did you write any letter to bardes or montano?

9. plainjane

I have sent a few things between receiving the waitlist and now. I hope that it does some good, but we will see! I really like the pbl approach and the international opportunities they have and it has been my first choice since the start of this process.

What did you decide after going to the second look?

10. plainjane

Anyone know if/when Cornell meets to decide about the WL? Since it is unranked, I imagine they must meet sometime around now to decide who is going to come off in the near future.

:luck:

11. CubaLibre

CubaLibre member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i'll take a seat at this table

12. redsoxdoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I called ... Im guessing tomorrow at 1 ... based on my vague, 2 sentence conversation

13. kuhlguy

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just talked to the admissions office

the wiatlist was supposed to move today but the lady said some people were lagging .... so it sounds like it shoudl be soon!

14. plainjane

Oh! That is pretty specific (if true)! Let the countdown begin...!!

Good luck to everyone!

15. plainjane

Sorry to get all neurotic, but did you mean they will send stuff out tomorrow at one or meet tomorrow at one?

At first when I read it, I thought you were saying they will mail stuff tomorrow at one, and then I realized that I asked about when the ADCOM will meet (I know, short term memory loss - I'm attributing it to the stress - no acceptances yet)....

Sorry to be such a nut.

16. wutwinb

wutwinb Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#15 wutwinb, May 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  17. MsJLewis

MsJLewis Retired Pre-med
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nope, no confirmation about my withdrawal from Cornell either. I e-mailed them on Monday and Tuesday. Hm.. maybe I'll call.

18. wutwinb

wutwinb Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#17 wutwinb, May 15, 2008
  19. plainjane

Wutwinb and MsJLewis, I just want to thank you both for posting about withdrawing. It gives me hope!

20. CubaLibre

CubaLibre member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    the more URMs withdraw the better. here's to playing the game!

21. LovelyMD

Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I e-mailed my withdrawal several weeks ago. It took them some time to send me the confirmation because it was sent via snail mail. If you just recently withdrew, I wouldn't be too worried.

22. wutwinb

wutwinb Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#21 wutwinb, May 15, 2008
  23. limbicsystem1

Removed

any news anyone? Just ot let you know, i withdrew yesterday so hopefully it goes to one of you!

24. plainjane

Well, if there has been news yet, I haven't heard anything. But congratulations to anyone who did hear! That must feel fantastic!

I have to admit, whenever I see this threat bumped, I have a little tiny heart attack. I imagine they are going to get bigger and bigger as the day goes on.

I love Cornell, and I hope that a bunch of people hear good things today! And thank you to everyone who is posting about withdrawing! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

25. CaliGirl1414

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hi, I've never posted on this list, but I wanted to let you guys know that the Cornell wait list seems to be moving. I got an email acceptance from them this morning. Good luck to everyone!

26. kuhlguy

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey thanks for letting us know ... congrats!! ... u planning on going to cornell?

27. plainjane

If you give up your spot, you should suggest that they give it to another RPCV!! Okay, just kidding. But boy, wouldn't that be nice!

Congratulations! That is fantastic. And thanks for letting us know!

28. CaliGirl1414

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical

I'm not sure. The email said I had two weeks to decide. I really liked the school when I interviewed and New York would be a lot of fun. So right now I'm leaning yes, but I think I should do some more research into the school.

29. Gospe1

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I also got an email acceptance today. It's odd because I never really applied too much effort in getting in.

30. kuhlguy

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    congrats! are u gonna go gospe1?

31. Gospe1

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think so. Of course, you never know with this application process.

32. kuhlguy

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anyone hear today?

33. limbicsystem1

Removed

You seem incredibly fixated on cornell when you already got an amazing acceptance at UCSD. Just curious as to why such enthusiasm?

34. kuhlguy

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lived in so cal my whole life ... looking for a change ... if not permanently then for at least 4 yrs ...

i really liked ucsd, but i liked cornell, columbia, pritzker, duke, mayo better ...

dont get me wrong tho ... super happy to know that i might be heading to ucsd

35. Steelers01

Medical Student
    got the good news by email today. i will be accepting this offer. best of luck to everyone!

36. thejonqproject

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    hope this waitlist works out for me. already going to the city ( my dream ) and this would just be icing on the cake!

37. RLMitchell1

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I also withdrew, congrats to whoever gets the spot =) I went to Second Look Weekend and all of you who end up there will definitely be around a lot of people who really care about you and want you to succeed, and some amazing fellow students. My heart just lies in San Francisco =)

38. NYUM

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just wanted to say that I ended up choosing Cornell Med over Columbia med becuase I loved the school. I dont think the school dropped in any rankings that actually mean anything becuase 1)theyre not ranked in primary care and 2) all of their many affiliates arent included in the amount of money they get for research. Cornell is an amazing, amazing school and I am so excited to be able to go there. The faculty are amazing and the financial aid is really great as well. Yay Cornell. I went to second look weekend and that def. made my decision alot easier.:love::love:

39. NYUM

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't mean to rub it in every one's face that I got in. I was just very troubled to see on this thread that instead of people being really enthusiastic about going to Cornell they were talking about things like rank and how the kids there dont have choices of other top schools. I think Cornell is really amazing yet I would encourage other people to go to the school that they really loved. Also I think your comment is very inappropriate limbicsystem1 as I would never wish that on anyone. Although, since Cornell's pass rate on the boards is 100% I think you will not get your wish. Anyways good luck to everyone!

40. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Please remember to treat each other respect on this forum. Profanity and personal attacks a violation of our Terms of Service. We are here to network while providing support and advice to one another.

:luck: To all of you who are still waiting.

41. zod4321

zod4321 Medical Student
    2+ Year Member

either barely anyone has gotten off (doubtful) or nobody seems to post on sdn anymore. How is everyone dealing with their cornell waitlis? unlike many other schools, it seems that cornell doesn't give a crap if we send letters or not. thoughts?

42. presquevu

Pre-Medical
    I just got in today, and I sent in a letter, among other things. Not sure what made the difference, I just know that I'm completely stoked about going to Cornell!

43. zod4321

zod4321 Medical Student
    2+ Year Member

what was your other choice b4 you got in? congrats though. pbl should be interesting =)

44. Jericho1057

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a low undergrad GPA (3.3) but I went to the Georgetown post bacc masters and got a 3.7. My MCAT scores are as follows
    Physical 15
    Verbal 11
    Biological 12

composite: 38

Does anyone think I have a shot of getting an interview???