Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christiangirl

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here get an acceptance from Cornell yet? If so, how long after your interview did you get it?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to Cornell in November. I interviewed at the beginning of October and was part of an early wave of acceptances that they sent out. The majority of their acceptances get sent out in March, so I wouldn't worry yet if you haven't heard anything.

Hey....how did ya'll like Cornell??

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there last October, and absolutely loved it. The facilities are just amaaaazing...the auditoriums are just waaay too plush compared to some other schools I saw, and their new research labs are top notch (comfy leather seats included).
They definitely have a lot of money, and they put it to good use.
I really liked their study abroad program, where they will pay room/board for an elective done in a developing country.
I really liked the flexibility of the curriculum. PBL is definitely where it's at, and the mix with lectures is a definite plus!
And, they give you a month off to study for Step 1. Nice!
As you can see, I have nothing but good things to say about the school...I can go on and on and on (location, students, facilities, research...etc!)

I was a very happy and giddy person there..of course I had never been to that part of the city before, so that also contributed to it (just think of the country bumpkin in da big city!)

smile.gif

anyone accepted at cornell in feb yet?

Haven't heard anything yet.... Very anxious... They say March. However, I interviewed at the very end of January, so I guess they would have waited. It seems only those who interviewed before or in December have heard thus far. Has anyone who interviewed in January heard? Good luck!!

Hi Caffeinegirl!

So, if you had a choice between Columbia and Cornell, which one would you choose?

Originally posted by caffeinegirl:
I interviewed there last October, and absolutely loved it. The facilities are just amaaaazing...the auditoriums are just waaay too plush compared to some other schools I saw, and their new research labs are top notch (comfy leather seats included).
They definitely have a lot of money, and they put it to good use.
I really liked their study abroad program, where they will pay room/board for an elective done in a developing country.
I really liked the flexibility of the curriculum. PBL is definitely where it's at, and the mix with lectures is a definite plus!
And, they give you a month off to study for Step 1. Nice!
As you can see, I have nothing but good things to say about the school...I can go on and on and on (location, students, facilities, research...etc!)

I was a very happy and giddy person there..of course I had never been to that part of the city before, so that also contributed to it (just think of the country bumpkin in da big city!)

smile.gif

I have to say that I really loved Cornell too. I didn't know anything about the school, but after my visit, I thought it was really great. I really like that they have such wonderful overseas opportunities...better than any other school I have visited thus far. I am really biting my nails for this school.

bf

Ahhhh...the question that I have been struggling with for months now. If, by a miracle or just random fluke, I get off the Columbia wait-list and actually hear back from Cornell....well.....

My opinion changes every day, literally!
You already heard about my impressions of Cornell, as for Columbia..

One thing that really impressed me were the students there. I know that there's some sort of bias on interviewfeedback.com about their students, but I personally stayed at Bard (their dorm) for two nights and absolutely loved the students. They're so friendly, open, and down-to-earth. I knew that I could really fit in their student body.

When it comes to clinical facilities, NYP-Columbia is great. I'm interested in Peds, and the Babies and Children's Hospital is just an amazing opportunity. The only down side I saw to Columbia was the dreary location. I know that people here do not agree about Washington Heights, but I'm from a small rural town, and well, I couldn't feel comfortable walking down 181st and B-way at 6:40 at night. It was just very unnerving. Plus, the dorms weren't too great (compared to Sinai and Cornell). But academically, it's just a stellar institution, and the faculty are top-notch.

So, where does that leave me? I don't know to tell you the truth. I'm confused on that aspect

sorry for the ramble, but I hope it helped
smile.gif

Reading caffeinegirl's post reminded of a comment my Cornell interviewer made. When I asked him in what area Cornell was the weakest/needed the most improvement,he responded by telling me that the Peds department at New York Hospital (hospital for Cornell) was so weak that they almost closed down the department. This would certainly be more important if you were considering a residency there, but I thought you still might want to know. Best of luck!

THANK YOU HANS
You have no idea just how much that post meant to me!!!
When I went to UCSF, I was lucky enough to have an interview with the head of the peds residency program, and I asked him what he looks for in applicants. His answer (in no particular order)
1)reputation/prestige of school
2)Board scores
3)Interest in kids (extra-curriculars)
4)Results of personality test
5)interview
6)rec's from your peds clinics/other clinic rotations

The last component is something that an applicant from Cornell might be lacking based on your post

Again, THANK YOU!!!

smile.gif

So, caffeinegirl, are you headed to UCSF definitely or are you still considering Cornell if accepted?

Hi Christiangirl

I think after a couple of days to let it sink in, I think I'm packing my bags and heading to UCSF. It's totally not everything I was planning for (I really thought I'd end up in NYC). I just really thought I had no chance of getting in there. But given my options right now (waitlist at Columbia, accept in Mt Sinai, and accept in UCSF) I'm going to take it and hope for the best.

Believe me when I tell you that I still can't believe it. I've only spent a total of 24 hours on the west coast in my entire life!!!!!!!

The main reason why I wanted to stay in NY was because of my family and boyfriend. After talking to them (well, them talking to me) we've all decided that my education comes first...which means that I'd take their offer even if Cornell gave me one, and also even if Columbia did as well. I know, this is going against what I posted earlier (taking mt. sinai over a prestigious institution), but I was basically laughed at by my sig. other and family (whose opinions mean the most) when I said that I would maybe not end up in San Fran because of them.

so that's where I stand right now. It's going to be the first time I move more than 10 minutes away from my family, and will be on the opposite end of the country from them and my boyfriend. I guess I consider myself lucky enough to be able to do that. Though for me, it's quite a change and taking a big chance. My life is entirely going to change. I can't even imagine what life will be like in August.

good luck to all!
and for those at UCSF, see you soon!
smile.gif

PS: Also, what hans said helped me out a lot! And another gander at where the residency peds match as well (for Cornell)....

[This message has been edited by caffeinegirl (edited 02-22-2001).]

That's great Caffeinegirl!! I wish you all the best!! I hope you enjoy UCSF!! I am curious, are you interested in primary care/peds or some type of surgical specialty within peds? I am just curious now, because I think I want to do some type of surgical specialty within peds but not primary care peds, so will this be important for me?

Hi Christiangirl!
thanks sooo much for your support!
smile.gif

As for peds, I'm interested in primary care. For surgery, I'm not sure how important the match results are, since I'm not too familiar with the route after your peds residency and going into peds surgery. Another thing I was looking at for the match results is the flexibility in location for which the grads go to. For example, Mount Sinai has literally every one of their grads staying in the NY area. UCSF has grads going to UCSF as well as the east coast.
That played a big role in my decision as well

good luck!!
smile.gif

caffeinegirl:

CONGRATS on UCSF!!! It's really good to know people actually get in! Good job!

I totally know what you mean about moving away from your family. If I do end up going to Hopkins, that will also be my first time being more than 10 minutes away from my family! It is a bit scary I must say! I'm just glad my sig. other is coming as well. You're right, I have no idea what life will be like in a few months. But I'm sure you will totally enjoy every second at SF. I met a lot of students from the east coast when I was there and they all LOVED it...so I'm guessing it will be the same for you.

Congrats again and HAVE FUN!!!

Oh, and also I discovered a website (you may already know about it) www.medschool.com that has among other things a really user friendly description of most residency options and the offered fellowships. It also has stats about how competitive they are and what score ranges you need. I think I saw some info on specialties within peds so I hope it helps! Good luck and keep an open mind since as you have already heard I'm sure, we will all change our minds 5 or 6 times about what area we want to go in.
smile.gif

oh, I just realized you may need some more info on that website:

Once you are there, click on "Students and Educators", then click on "student community", and then click on "specialty profiles."

It was really helpful for me since I was a bit clueless about what exactly happens after medschool.
biggrin.gif

Hi jimi

thanks! I must also congratulate you on your acceptance at Hopkins. That's also an amaaazing school, and it will definitely work out for you!

thanks for the site too! it helped a ton!

And yes, I do know that the chances of changing your mind during medical school about specialties are around 99.99999999%

wink.gif

Caffeinegirl,

It just occurred to me that since you've only spent 24 hours on the West Coast, you may have some questions about the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a Bay Area girl and have lived here for most of my life, so if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

so...it's march! anyone know when cornell is sending out letters? they told me mid-march when i interviewed back in november.