Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKitty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they are non-rolling, but I am not sure how their admissions exactly work. Does anybody know if they already started sending out rejections? Or have they been sending out interview invites only for now? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

bump :( No one applied to Cornell? :confused: Does anybody know if they started sending out rejections?

I received an invitation to interview Friday. I've heard they send out a fair number of rejections in December as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
while we're on the topic of cornell, aren't the december acceptances coming out this week?? yikes!

BrownTheDoc said:
I received an invitation to interview Friday. I've heard they send out a fair number of rejections in December as well.

congrats brownthedoc! that's awesome! when were you complete?

i added cornell in september and was complete 9/29...starting to think i should've saved the $100... :rolleyes:

as for rejections, i haven't found a trace of any yet on sdn. from last year's posts, it seems that the letters start coming out in late december (perhaps at the same time as the acceptance notifications?).

best of luck to everyone who could receive an acceptance this week!! :luck:

BrownTheDoc said:
Do they send out wait-lists at the same time?

argonana said:
i added cornell in september and was complete 9/29...starting to think i should've saved the $100... :rolleyes:
complete in mid august and havent heard anything. too much pbl anyway. but id still consider going.

Complete at the beginning of Sept. and haven't heard anything either. I was starting to wonder if their admissions office even exists. Oh well.

Looksz like they might be sending out a first batch of rejections for Christmas :oops:

Looks like they might be sending out a first batch of rejections for Christmas :oops:

I was rejected from Cornell's MSTP program in october and my application is being reviewed now for the MD program. Still haven't heard anything back yet. I have great stats (but not enough research.) Is it true that Cornell will admit without an interview?

neurone said:
I was rejected from Cornell's MSTP program in october and my application is being reviewed now for the MD program. Still haven't heard anything back yet. I have great stats (but not enough research.) Is it true that Cornell will admit without an interview?

my impression was that cornell only sends out some acceptances in december but no waitlists or rejections until march-ish, when they send out ALL remaining decisions. maybe i'm wrong?! also, i hadn't ever heard that they will admit without an interview...

got my acceptance email last week and letter a few days ago. love this school! good luck to all...and a fabulash new year! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
somewhere2010 said:
my impression was that cornell only sends out some acceptances in december but no waitlists or rejections until march-ish, when they send out ALL remaining decisions. maybe i'm wrong?! also, i hadn't ever heard that they will admit without an interview...

got my acceptance email last week and letter a few days ago. love this school! good luck to all...and a fabulash new year! ;)

Why does Cornell send out a few acceptances in December? If they are a non-rolling school, then why not do everything in March? Are those that are admitted considered the most highly qualified candidates? (thus far in the interview season)

Does anybody know how many acceptances are sent out? I think it's about 20, but that is purely a guess.

Somewhere2010, do you know which school you are going to go to? You've got some good choices to choose from.

thegenius said:
Why does Cornell send out a few acceptances in December? If they are a non-rolling school, then why not do everything in March? Are those that are admitted considered the most highly qualified candidates? (thus far in the interview season)

Does anybody know how many acceptances are sent out? I think it's about 20, but that is purely a guess.

Somewhere2010, do you know which school you are going to go to? You've got some good choices to choose from.

i always thought it was dumb of cornell to bother letting some people in early, cuz the way they presented it at the interview, it was a small minority of people and they really downplayed the december acceptances. but then i got one and didn't think it was so bad anymore ;) i did get along very well with both of my interviewers, so i guess that helped me out!

i have NO idea where i'll end up going! i've been thinking about it a lot lately, and on any given day i have a different conclusion...michigan because i had such a great time there, cornell because i'm obsessed with nyc, and pritzker because it's a great mix of lots of things i like - urban setting, liberal curriculum, close to home (i grew up three hours south of chi-town). hopefully it'll become clearer after second look weekends... :rolleyes:

somewhere2010 said:
i always thought it was dumb of cornell to bother letting some people in early, cuz the way they presented it at the interview, it was a small minority of people and they really downplayed the december acceptances. but then i got one and didn't think it was so bad anymore ;) i did get along very well with both of my interviewers, so i guess that helped me out!

i have NO idea where i'll end up going! i've been thinking about it a lot lately, and on any given day i have a different conclusion...michigan because i had such a great time there, cornell because i'm obsessed with nyc, and pritzker because it's a great mix of lots of things i like - urban setting, liberal curriculum, close to home (i grew up three hours south of chi-town). hopefully it'll become clearer after second look weekends... :rolleyes:

Yea, I'm not really sure either - unless early admits to Cornell had a better chance at getting scholarships or something. I was also one of those early admits, and it's a wonderful feeling. I think it's akin to having a girl at your high school ask you out to Prom months in advance, she REALLY REALLY wants to go with you. It's flattering and makes you feel special! I wonder if we are more special than those in March?

Anyway, Cornell is a great school and I think I'm going there on March 10 - 12, provided I have no work responsibilities. Michigan is great too - I'm on the deferred decision list there.

were interview invites sent out through email or smail mail? still waiting...

yodel said:
were interview invites sent out through email or smail mail? still waiting...

invite was by email. good luck! :)

for those of you that have already interviewed - where did you stay? I called the admissions office but they said they didn't have a student housing program. I'm interviewing in a few weeks and don't know anything about NYC....

Thanks!

idillio06 said:
for those of you that have already interviewed - where did you stay? I called the admissions office but they said they didn't have a student housing program. I'm interviewing in a few weeks and don't know anything about NYC....

Thanks!
I stayed in the Helmsley Medical Tower. It is part of Cornell so it's right next to where you'll need to be the next day. I was there for MSTP tho so I don't know how much it actually costs.

The Helmsley Medical Tower Apartments
1320 York Avenue (between East 70th and East 71st)
(212) 472-8400
(800)-HM-TOWER
Fax: (212) 535-8524

argonana said:
anyone know how long it takes to get from penn station to cornell by subway? thanks.

You will need to ride multiple trains to get there, so it depends on how long you have to wait for the trains as you connect. To get to Weill, take any uptown train from Penn Station to Times Square, ride the cross-town shuttle train, then ride an uptown train to 68th street. Go out and walk a few blocks all the way east to York Ave.

Teerawit said:
You will need to ride multiple trains to get there, so it depends on how long you have to wait for the trains as you connect. To get to Weill, take any uptown train from Penn Station to Times Square, ride the cross-town shuttle train, then ride an uptown train to 68th street. Go out and walk a few blocks all the way east to York Ave.

thanks. i don't have enough patience to slog through the MTA schedules. it couldn't take longer than an hour, could it? if so, would a cab be quicker? looks like penn station is ~3.5 miles away from weill...

argonana said:
thanks. i don't have enough patience to slog through the MTA schedules. it couldn't take longer than an hour, could it? if so, would a cab be quicker? looks like penn station is ~3.5 miles away from weill...

I'm guessing 15 minutes if you have to wait a while to connect to trains. The longest wait time will probably be waiting for the cross-town shuttle to Grand Central, and on off-peak times this would be like a 5-10 minute wait. During the peak hours of the day I don't think you'll to wait long, if at all, for the shuttle.

But I'd expect the worst, giving it 30 minutes or so, just to be on the safe side. :)

You could also just take the Queensbound E from Penn Station to 53rd St then transfer to an uptown 6 (or 4 if it's off-peak) and get off @ 68th.

DeadorAlive said:
You could also just take the Queensbound E from Penn Station to 53rd St then transfer to an uptown 6 (or 4 if it's off-peak) and get off @ 68th.

yeah, these are the directions weill gave out...i'll be going this way...it sounds a bit less complicated. :thumbup: thanks.