1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Cornell

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by alphabeta53, Dec 9, 2002.

1. alphabeta53

alphabeta53 *** Super *********
    7+ Year Member

I have an interview on the east coast in late january. The only school I have left from the east coast to hear from is cornell. Since I am on the west coast, I would like to hear from cornell soon. Does anyone know how cornell responds to requests to make a decision on a particular application for convenience in travel.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. entropy

entropy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would be careful about being pushy. I had a friend who was going out to NY for an interview. Called Cornell and said he was going to be in town and wanted to know if he could double up the interviews. He promptly got a rejection letter. It could have just been chance, but maybe not. If you want call and inquire politely, but don't make any demands or be pushy.

4. Classof07

Classof07 Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know if Cornell has a bad relationship with my alma mater (Hopkins) or what, but they are the only school from which I have not heard. I've interviewed at 9 others, including Harvard, Penn, Columbia, and Yale, and all of those interviews were completed weeks ago. Cornell has had my completed application for 13 weeks and it is, to quote them, "still under review." What this means about the school, I don't know, and maybe I'm just pissed because I was close to going 10/10, but I'm not sure what they're still reviewing. My only thought is that they don't like humanities majors.

Just one man's opinion

5. aww poor baby

6. arsh

arsh Member
    7+ Year Member

yup - i'm at hopkins too and am in the same boat - i've interviewed at just about all my schools - hopkins, penn, columbia, yale, and others more than a few weeks ago - but the person at cornell said last week that i am still under review - i just don't get it - i guess you're not alone.

7. johnstoner

johnstoner Ben Franklin on Hashish
    7+ Year Member

I second sham

8. Bodybuilder

Bodybuilder Member
    7+ Year Member

I was in the same situation in September before Cornell even started interviewing. I called Cornell and within a day I got an email interview invite. I would call because they understand how difficult and expensive it is for West Coasters to keep flying back and forth

9. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

Cornell rocks, and if they haven't accepted you yet, it's cause they chose someone better :)

10. jot

jot

classof07 itired to pm you but your pm is broked.

11. because he didnt enable his pm function.

is that what broked means?

12. dpy

dpy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hopefully that someone is me :laugh: Cornell kicks so much ass!!!

13. bludeviled

bludeviled Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah same here (i'm not from JHU though), but as annoying as it is, keep in mind that cornell has one of the lowest acceptance rates. Its STATISTICALLY twice/thrice as hard to get in as those other schools we may have interviewed at (plus they have a relatively smaller class size). They're gonna take lots more time going through apps but they are also going to be way more selective.

e.g out of the people that were qualified to interview at columbia, (i bet most of them also applied to cornell) but only ~ 1/2 of those will get invited to intervew at cornell.

Anyways, while this rationale may sound pretty good in my head right now - its late, so cum grano salis

Good luck to everyone!

14. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

for us Cornell MSTPers, the 11th is fast approaching.
    (were supposed to get a call from the MD/PhD director if we get in)
    the wait is killin me :(

15. Classof07

Classof07 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the input on the Cornell situation. And sorry if I came across as an arrogant prick. Unfortunately, as you all well know, it's hard to guess tone via impersonal text. I was trying to explicate my frustrations with this whole process. I know that it sounds pretty lame to say, 'I want to interview everywhere. Where is Cornell? Why won' they accept me?' but what I was trying to get at is I'd much rather have Cornell send me a letter saying, 'No way dude,' then to be left semi-open-ended in the interview stage. I'd much rather be done already.

Closure is underrated.

16. Are pre-med people supposed to you use the word "broked"?
    I think not! I am ashamed :)