1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

cornell

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by ion1, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ion1

Medical Student
    i liked the program after interview day, but ran into a few R3's who were saying that during their R1 and R2 years there was no time to enjoy the city, they were taking care of 15-20 pts at a time, and that they would do phlebotomy rounds every day on their patients since they were never done in the AM. i realize that you're unlikely to have 15-20 pts as an intern now, but how much have things really changed at this program?

note: i am interesed in heme/onc and they seem to match well with mskcc nearby.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. marcello

marcello New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    based on my interview day:
    the R2s said much changed since they were interns over the past year with the new chairman. they no longer care for 15-20 patients and follow the standard caps. the hospital seems to have the best nursing in nyc (which i understand may not say much).
    any thoughts on the cornell program. i understand columbia has a stronger reputation but does MSSM really outrank cornell? any thoughts?

4. ion1

Medical Student
    i think it depends on your interests. if you're interested in GI, i'd say go to MSSM, hands down. if you're interested in onc or international medicine, i'd say cornell, without hesitation. if you're unsure or are interested in any other subspecialty, i think the programs are more similar than different. i do wonder if cornell might be stronger in basic science research given its connection to rockefeller/sloan, but i think clinical training is probably equal.