Corona Virus: Idiot things people are doing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Corona Virus: Idiot things people are doing because of the COVID-19 Hysteria. [this should be documented, why not here?!]

- Fist bumping instead of shaking hands (b/c the virus hangs out on your finger tips, but not on your knuckles)
- Elbow bumping (even worse, b/c you've been coughing into your elbow all day)
- Banning large meetings, then having a meeting to discuss the ban.
- Having a large meeting outdoors, b/c somehow that's better.

Please add on !

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The need for every human to be tested for covid

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn’t buy any lentils at the store today because that shelf was empty.

I suppose someone is at least bunkering down with some healthy options.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Evolution at work . . .

Bah! His fans won't die - they are mostly kids. They will however pass this virus around. It's irresponsible behavior.

This generation wants to talk a good game about how we should be as a "society" - pay off their loans, find them jobs, give them free National healthcare - but refuse to actually do the right thing for society when called to do so.

They are all entitled, spoiled idiots

Reactions: 7 users
Bah! His fans won't die - they are mostly kids. They will however pass this virus around. It's irresponsible behavior.

This generation wants to talk a good game about how we should be as a "society" - pay off their loans, find them jobs, give them free National healthcare - but refuse to actually do the right thing for society when called to do so.

I don't think you really believe that

Just like every generation was when they were young before us. Well, at least the idiots part.

In other words, nothing changes.

Just like every generation was when they were young before us. Well, at least the idiots part.

In other words, nothing changes.

nah. The greatest generation that were children through the 30s and fought WW2 were NOT like this geveration

hard times make hard people who make good times. And good times make spoiled idiots

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
nah. The greatest generation that were children through the 30s and fought WW2 were NOT like this geveration

hard times make hard people who make good times. And good times make spoiled idiots

And they crash the doctor's office a lot! for silly things. Every instance of pain or discomfort has to be treated. With all that's going on in the news, you wouldn't believe the # of 20-something-yo I saw in clinic this past week, for mild neck strain, lower back pain, etc.

Still, I've met some very hard working 20-something olds who are very well grounded. Their most common attribute: their grandparents were very involved in their raising.

And they crash the doctor's office a lot! for silly things. Every instance of pain or discomfort has to be treated. With all that's going on in the news, you wouldn't believe the # of 20-something-yo I saw in clinic this past week, for mild neck strain, lower back pain, etc.

Still, I've met some very hard working 20-something olds who are very well grounded. Their most common attribute: their grandparents were very involved in their raising.

it’s true I also know some solid early 20s folks

I had a 32-yo Type 1 this week, who didn't want to take her insulin for fear of COVID. Apparently DKA is less concerning.
Lord love you...what does that have ANYTHING to do with covid?

Did you tell her that she is a greater risk of getting it if her diabetes is out of control...

White Coat investor not canceling his conference in Las Vegas this weekend with 600 physicians (many who are fellow ER docs) from around the country flying in.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
White Coat investor not canceling his conference in Las Vegas this weekend with 600 physicians (many who are fellow ER docs) from around the country flying in.
WOW

Where is the conference...hope it’s not at an MGM property...cuz they will be closed...
NYC and Vegas closed???

Conference in Vegas at Paris hotel

sad part is that it wasn’t even a medical conference. It was a physician financial conference

if anyone caught wind of it the twitter mob would destroy WCI

Where is the conference...hope it’s not at an MGM property...cuz they will be closed...
NYC and Vegas closed???
“No I go to the hospital and go home”, some of us are actually doctors. Uhmmm ok, I guess the rest of us are just mugs eh. Lol.

A cardiac transplant patient on immunosuppressive therapy came in today for numbness and tingling, in her legs, all chronic in nature. I tried to call her several hours before the appointment to triage her over the phone, to prevent her from coming in, especially since we had our first positive case at the hospital. No joy. She insisted on coming in.

Maybe we should let this thing spread, take its course. Who are we to stand in the way of evolution?!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

A cardiac transplant patient on immunosuppressive therapy came in today for numbness and tingling, in her legs, all chronic in nature. I tried to call her several hours before the appointment to triage her over the phone, to prevent her from coming in, especially since we had our first positive case at the hospital. No joy. She insisted on coming in.

Maybe we should let this thing spread, take its course. Who are we to stand in the way of evolution?!

I mean, if your patient has a heart transplant, I think evolution has been thwarted . . .

I will be interested to see how immunosuppressed patients respond to COVID. Considering that infants do so well with this I wonder if immunosuppression might actually help.

Not a prospective study I would recommend, but it will be easy to look back when people 'enroll' themselves by not staying home.

• Hmm
I will be interested to see how immunosuppressed patients respond to COVID. Considering that infants do so well with this I wonder if immunosuppression might actually help.

Not a prospective study I would recommend, but it will be easy to look back when people 'enroll' themselves by not staying home.

I hope thats true, don't wanna see any kiddos getting sick. Though I heard Childrens in LA was treating one, possibly with pre-existing conditions. Can't imagine a CFer would do well with this virus.

I hope thats true, don't wanna see any kiddos getting sick. Though I heard Childrens in LA was treating one, possibly with pre-existing conditions. Can't imagine a CFer would do well with this virus.

As a physician with CF . . . hard to say! Probably will depend on FEV1 among other factors, but CF clinics around the country are canceling appointments and switching to telehealth for now.

People believing that the whole Coronavirus outbreak is a hoax and that the Democrats are using this to politicize and use against Trump i.e. Fox News. Yeah that's why we're spending so much money to make more tests, send money to people out of work, and closing bars/restaurants/gyms etc.

Just take a look at the comments section in the CV-19 article. :rolleyes:

People believing that the whole Coronavirus outbreak is a hoax and that the Democrats are using this to politicize and use against Trump i.e. Fox News. Yeah that's why we're spending so much money to make more tests, send money to people out of work, and closing bars/restaurants/gyms etc.

Just take a look at the comments section in the CV-19 article. :rolleyes:

I like that one Chinese official proclaiming that the U.S. Military planted the coronavirus in China, to destabilize their gov't. I wish we were that good.

• Haha
Drive Through Testing: where you're more likely to contract the disease (from that nurse or medical assistant, who's swabbed a 100 people today) than to be diagnosed with it. BTW: said nurse or MA is not changing PPE with every patient (swab).

Corona Virus: Idiot things people are doing because of the COVID-19 Hysteria. [this should be documented, why not here?!]

- Fist bumping instead of shaking hands (b/c the virus hangs out on your finger tips, but not on your knuckles)
- Elbow bumping (even worse, b/c you've been coughing into your elbow all day)
- Banning large meetings, then having a meeting to discuss the ban.
- Having a large meeting outdoors, b/c somehow that's better.

Please add on !

I particularly liked the banning large meetings one and then having a meeting to discuss the ban.

Where i'm at, people are keeping mostly a ta distance, many procedures cancelled, ASCs shut down. Sigh.

Which I think is an other idiotic thing, the canceling of all elective procedures (some of which aren't so 'elective'). Sure nobody needs to get boobs implanted right now, but try telling someone they cant have a new knee or kidney that they've been waiting for 2 years.

Which I think is an other idiotic thing, the canceling of all elective procedures (some of which aren't so 'elective'). Sure nobody needs to get boobs implanted right now, but try telling someone they cant have a new knee or kidney that they've been waiting for 2 years.
The delay of elective procedures is about conserving PPE and hospital beds, NOT the infection risk.

At all (9) of the hospitals where I have privileges, cancer, cardiac and transplant surgeries are all going ahead (and C-sections and emergency/trauma stuff obviously). But it's actually been the surgeons largely driving the change rather than the hospitals.

Reactions: 2 users
The delay of elective procedures is about conserving PPE and hospital beds, NOT the infection risk.

At all (9) of the hospitals where I have privileges, cancer, cardiac and transplant surgeries are all going ahead (and C-sections and emergency/trauma stuff obviously). But it's actually been the surgeons largely driving the change rather than the hospitals.

Things could get so busy for a time in the ICU that I can't do Nav Bronchs or EBUS, but right now everyone has decided that getting cancer diagnoses is not "elective" (I use anesthesia for these cases, I know some in this country do not [I think they are wrong]) - though all elective things have been cancelled which has had some "interesting" cascade effects, especially for the CRNAs.

I'd hope so, I'd hate to see these patients get screwed. Some common sense should apply.

I got "training" in nursing work this am. I think its crazy stupid to have a physician doing nursing work. It will result in poor nursing work, and expose the physician to excessive risk, but if things go down the drain and there isn't anyone to do the work. . . .

At our institution they have Emergent, urgent, and elective surgeries. The definition of Emergent and urgent are variable, as we are doing way less (and accepting way less transfers too) of all the above. Shoot, I heard some ED docs complaining about how the STEMI activation had changed to delays things due to COVID.

Make no mistake, COVID19 is harming patients in multiple ways other than just ARDS.

Make no mistake, COVID19 is harming patients in multiple ways other than just ARDS.

Yeah, and I fear our over reaction and hysteria is more to blame than the virus itself.

I might be dead wrong (and I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks), but I think we'll be ok. The American hospital system---for all of its administrative and bureaucratic burdens, much of which have been relieved these last 2 weeks (interesting that it take a pandemic to do that)---is actually fairly robust. I'm sure we'll get busy, see a uptake in admissions, but I don't think COVID is going to break us.

Yeah, and I fear our over reaction and hysteria is more to blame than the virus itself.

I might be dead wrong (and I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks), but I think we'll be ok. The American hospital system---for all of its administrative and bureaucratic burdens, much of which have been relieved these last 2 weeks (interesting that it take a pandemic to do that)---is actually fairly robust. I'm sure we'll get busy, see a uptake in admissions, but I don't think COVID is going to break us.

I sure hope you're right, because we are down to using LTV vents at one site (and at ~75% of all vents including Trilogy and travel vents), and just ran out of PB840s today at the other.

• Wow
I sure hope you're right, because we are down to using LTV vents at one site (and at ~75% of all vents including Trilogy and travel vents), and just ran out of PB840s today at the other.

Just curious: Where are you, what part of the country? Are you down because you have a lot of COVID patients (how many do you have?)? Or are you down b/c of your normal census (at a high volume place)?