Coronavirus caused hours worries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flockofdoves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow aspiring vets,

I'm planning on applying to veterinary school in the 2021-2022 application cycle. I'm worried about not being able to get hours.
I currently have 370 hrs of vet experience (and counting during academic year) and 1000 hrs of animal experience. I got an internship this summer at a wildlife clinic but because of quarantine that might not happen, and the ongoing internship I have might not continue either if quarantine persists through the fall.
I'm anxious that I might not be able to get enough experience to be a qualified enough applicant. Should I apply in the 2021-2022 cycle and hope for the best or take a gap year to make up for potential lost experience?

Here's my submission to the WAMC thread to provide further background:

Cumulative GPA: 3.76 (so far)
science GPA: 3.72 (so far)
last 45: I don't know yet, probs around a 3.80???

Any degrees achieved:

I will graduate in 2022 with a Biology degree (w/a chem minor)

GRE results: I'm prepping now and plan to take the GRE this summer/next summer.

Veterinary Experience:
- Shadowing exotic animal vet (50hrs)
- Ongoing summer internship with vet oncologist (currently 100 hrs)
- Ongoing part time vet assistant internship with primary care vet (currently 240 hrs)

Animal Experience:
- Cat shelter (500 hrs)
- Rabbit rescue (200 hrs)
- Part time cattle farm hand (40 hrs)
Various pet sitting (will be much higher when I apply) - 400 hrs

Research Experience:
intern at USC molecular biology lab in high school- studied eye disk gene expression in fruit flies (~200 hrs)

Awards/scholarships:
- Smith College Presidential Scholarship
- National Latin Exam Perfect Score 2015
- Outstanding Performer Award (high school band)
3 time local clarinet competition winner

Extracurriculars:
- Orchestra assistant principal clarinet player & vice president/social chair of orchestra
- Pre-vet club treasurer
- Fire& Safety chair in my dorm
high school band (Wind Symphony)
high school orchestra- principal clarinet
Chemistry club in HS
Section leader in high school marching band
mentor to elementary school music students

Employment:
- Lifeguard at college pool (just started)
- Lifeguard at mother beach (past 5 summers)
- Camp counselor at summer camp for high school girls

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Quality over quantity. I think the rest of your app is strong, so really, if those hours have enabled you to have a good grasp on the profession, you can apply this year. Someone else can chime in on your strengths to seek out for specific schools that match your stats. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with Lupin. Remember COVID is impacting everyone. You have strong application overall. A zillion hours isn't everything. Much more quality over quantity (make sure to meet minimums). If you can demonstrate your understanding of the profession, why vet med, and your place in it I think you can apply this cycle. Just make sure you're meeting all the minimums for the schools you're applying to! I know several people who have been admitted to various schools with less than 500 hours, the lowest was less than 250 hours. Write some killer essays and get great LORs you'll be on your way!

Reactions: 4 users