corporate dentistry after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many of you have actually supported or rationalized going "corporate" dentistry. Like I said before, there are, in rare exceptions, a few good group practices, but for the most part are questionable at best.

I have worked with people who have had careers in "corporate" dentistry. It's funny how you get used to this type of billing / income. After 1 year, you think that one 4mm pseudo-pocket in each quadrant means 4quad SRP, all extractions are surgical extractions, leaving composite in a crown prep means you've done a core build-up, and you think it's acceptable to have assistants taking final impressions and cementing final crowns.

The most dangerous thing is that you become very used to a large salary and when you leave corporate is the same as you did before because it is what you are used to financially and technique-brainwashed to think.

A heavy medicaid practice is nowhere to be either, I can't wish 'entitled' patients upon any dentist especially from that clientle. I overheard one patient one time say with attitude, "don't you get enough from the government!". $50 reimbursement for an alveoplasty... does that even cover disposables & sutures???

It's a shame that this profession is going the direction of dental "insurance", mid-level practitioners, government regulation and corporate dentistry.

I don't blame people for wanting to get the most $$ out of dentistry before stuff like this happens. But then again, if people didn't think that, do you think we'd have to be concerned about the former issues? Hmmmm...

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.towniecentral.com/MessageBoard/thread.aspx?s=2&f=195&t=107816&v=1

Hi I am new at this so....

I am a new grad and I am working part time at 2 offices one corporate and one private. vast difference. i see 10 patients at the private and about 20 in the corp. I have to be honest, i didnt like the corp at first bec they were pushing me to do things i was not comfortable to do. i was ready to leave but they brought in a new managing dentist - who was very easy to work with and likes to do molar endos so he never asked me to do it, only if i say i want to do a certain case. i started liking it after he came aboard. i make about 115,000 from both offices which i dont think is that bad although a little low when i compare with my fellow classmates. coprs are good to start to get your feet wet but it all depends on the "managing dentist" and how good they are. hope this helps anyone who is thinking about associateships

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really feel that way about the majority of dentists then why are you pre-dental? I don't understand why you would want to be part of a profession that apparently over treats because they "know better", or does not have "community interest" in mind.

From your thread all I can gather is that you will overtreat and perform dentistry for your personal gain without thought of your patients. If this is why you want to be a dentist you should find another profession so as to not taint dentistry.

Thankyou,

I was waiting for such a response, and I wish I'd visit this forum more so I can read these responses earlier and also work out what I want to do after graduation.

You help bring me to my next point: Elitism.

Your attitude in the last post is quiete a common response throughout my experiences and private discussions with students, staff members, lead professors, and even the my Campus janitor.

I've studied law subjects, business, and finance subjects before, and the vast majority of my friends who aren't working are doing other forms of degrees in other areas. I can safely say, that it's only in the more "elite" health professions, particuarily dentistrythat I've had experience with people that are so narrow minded and sensitive to any form of criticism about their field of work. Any professor or lecturer I've dealt with is very quick to cast out any student or dentist with a skills deficency, or even continual bad luck. It's as if they're "not worthy".

Why is it that students, professors, and researchers alike in our industry are so quick to "cast out" anyone who questions the norm within our field? If you look up history of past research, it has been extremely difficult to change the habits and technology used by dental clinicians. It has been even harder to change their paradigm. It's sad that such a mainstreamed, conservative ,and narrow-minded mentality has left our field veritibly within the stone ages. The highest loss of tooth material within all western populations is actually still from dental work. We havne't progressed a huge degree at all.

Everything I said about professional rationalsers and corporate monopolist is from political science. It's based on a professional paradigm that's focussed on the form of discussion we're having here (from what I can see, we're discussing more health and politics as opposed to the best retention form for a Class V MOD). It comes from reading, and private discussions with a Health Law and Ethics professor in our university. What I said has nothing to do with me personally. I feel like the sort of response you've given further highlights the insecurity and the crutch of self-worth that being a "dentist" gives to many people. I'd give u the same suggestion I give to many others in my field: I think you need to do some deep introspection of your chosen field. I know I have.

Ofcourse, on a lighter note, I am generalising. I've met some fantastic, caring, and loving people persons in my field, I have the greatest adoration for them. I wish they were given a greater voice within the politics of our field.

I'd have much more respect for someone who goes through the hell the is dental school, gains the skills to do high quality/ high efficiency dentistry after school, then takes on all that goes along with being an owner of a business. To talk about how some healthcare/law professor sees things and talk about how dentists are as a generalization has zero clout imo. My advice is do dental school then make you comments as you see fit. If you still feel strongly about your views get involved with dental associations and be a voice for change. Many have done it and I have the utmost respect of them. When they talk, people listen... both dentists and non-dentists. Yes, all professions struggle with the balance between over-treatment and under-treatment whether it's medicine, accounting, or even the holy-er than thou self-righteous profession of law.

Walk a day in another man's shoes before you cast stones.

I stopped reading when he said Class V MOD. You have no idea what you are talking about dude. By the way, I take being called elitist as a compliment.

Thankyou,

I was waiting for such a response, and I wish I'd visit this forum more so I can read these responses earlier and also work out what I want to do after graduation.

You help bring me to my next point: Elitism.

Your attitude in the last post is quiete a common response throughout my experiences and private discussions with students, staff members, lead professors, and even the my Campus janitor.

I've studied law subjects, business, and finance subjects before, and the vast majority of my friends who aren't working are doing other forms of degrees in other areas. I can safely say, that it's only in the more "elite" health professions, particuarily dentistrythat I've had experience with people that are so narrow minded and sensitive to any form of criticism about their field of work. Any professor or lecturer I've dealt with is very quick to cast out any student or dentist with a skills deficency, or even continual bad luck. It's as if they're "not worthy".

Why is it that students, professors, and researchers alike in our industry are so quick to "cast out" anyone who questions the norm within our field? If you look up history of past research, it has been extremely difficult to change the habits and technology used by dental clinicians. It has been even harder to change their paradigm. It's sad that such a mainstreamed, conservative ,and narrow-minded mentality has left our field veritibly within the stone ages. The highest loss of tooth material within all western populations is actually still from dental work. We havne't progressed a huge degree at all.

Everything I said about professional rationalsers and corporate monopolist is from political science. It's based on a professional paradigm that's focussed on the form of discussion we're having here (from what I can see, we're discussing more health and politics as opposed to the best retention form for a Class V MOD). It comes from reading, and private discussions with a Health Law and Ethics professor in our university. What I said has nothing to do with me personally. I feel like the sort of response you've given further highlights the insecurity and the crutch of self-worth that being a "dentist" gives to many people. I'd give u the same suggestion I give to many others in my field: I think you need to do some deep introspection of your chosen field. I know I have.

Ofcourse, on a lighter note, I am generalising. I've met some fantastic, caring, and loving people persons in my field, I have the greatest adoration for them. I wish they were given a greater voice within the politics of our field.

I love how you feel that what I said somehow I justified your ridicule of the majority of dentists. I merely responded to your views that the majority of dentists overtreat their patients. Never was I elitest in my comments, I only wanted you to know how I felt about your view of how dishonest dentists are.

Your latest post however makes me feel even stronger about you not seeking a career in dentistry. Your last post apparently had the intention of baiting one of your future (hopefully not) collegues to prove a point. This is manipulative and I am one to think this will not change. I think you would do better as a psychology teacher or phylosophy professor than taint the dental field.

BTW if I was looking for recognition through my career I would have become an investment banker, or CEO of a company. I want to be a dentist because I love dentistry, and I can help people. I am insulted that you think because I don't think that the majority of dentists are dishonest I somehow will not be caring and do not understand why I want to be a dentist.

YOU'RE A JERK!!

I need a dental assisstant for my SRTA exam on june6 at VCU,so please if there is anybody like to help let me know I will pay for the service,thanks

I love how you feel that what I said somehow I justified your ridicule of the majority of dentists. I merely responded to your views that the majority of dentists overtreat their patients. Never was I elitest in my comments, I only wanted you to know how I felt about your view of how dishonest dentists are.

Your latest post however makes me feel even stronger about you not seeking a career in dentistry. Your last post apparently had the intention of baiting one of your future (hopefully not) collegues to prove a point. This is manipulative and I am one to think this will not change. I think you would do better as a psychology teacher or phylosophy professor than taint the dental field.

BTW if I was looking for recognition through my career I would have become an investment banker, or CEO of a company. I want to be a dentist because I love dentistry, and I can help people. I am insulted that you think because I don't think that the majority of dentists are dishonest I somehow will not be caring and do not understand why I want to be a dentist.

YOU'RE A JERK!!

Your incapable of becoming an investment banker or CEO of a company. YOur response to my first post was completely irrational and focussed on your own emotional needs. You clearly lack the intuitive and logical insights that an investment banker would need. UNless you ran a company with a competitive focus on efficiency, you probably couldn't hack it as a CEO for the same reason.

Just because I generally am critical and weary of health proffessionals in general is absolutely no reason why I shouldn't become one. You provided absolutely no basis for it, and that's exactly why I ripped into you. You just got all worked up, because you're so sensitive about your field and the work you do. I see it as furthermore reason to enter the field and promote changes and make a difference in people's lives.

If you genuinly care about doing dentistry for dentistry and the people, then you're just fantastic. Good for you! Two thumbs up! Great big Tom Cruise Alpha-male Hi-5 for you kiddo! As for Baiting? Manipulation? I have not the least idea what your talking about.

I'd have much more respect for someone who goes through the hell the is dental school, gains the skills to do high quality/ high efficiency dentistry after school, then takes on all that goes along with being an owner of a business. To talk about how some healthcare/law professor sees things and talk about how dentists are as a generalization has zero clout imo. My advice is do dental school then make you comments as you see fit. If you still feel strongly about your views get involved with dental associations and be a voice for change. Many have done it and I have the utmost respect of them. When they talk, people listen... both dentists and non-dentists. Yes, all professions struggle with the balance between over-treatment and under-treatment whether it's medicine, accounting, or even the holy-er than thou self-righteous profession of law.

Walk a day in another man's shoes before you cast stones.

I have another 2 years to go before I can legally apply to practice working as a dentist within my state. Don't be fooled by my Avatar. Not that where I stand in my chosen career path should really be making a logical diffirenece to how you argue my opinions. Hey, Like i said at the end of my post. I'm generalising. BUt in the broader sense, particularily of many organisations relating to dentistry, I stand by the rest of the post.

I stopped reading when he said Class V MOD. You have no idea what you are talking about dude. By the way, I take being called elitist as a compliment.

Yes I know, i didn't think as I just wrote up random dental lingo. Would you prefer Class II MOD? It's in Chapter 17 of sturdavents. RCT? Maybe a Pulpotomy/ pulp-cap procedure? I typed that up very quickly, and really didn't care what random roman numeral i punched in, and even ignored it when reading my post. I just think it's very sad that you're proud to be an elitist Health practicioner, and the way you pick out something completely irrelavent to my statement like that worries me further.

Yes I know, i didn't think as I just wrote up random dental lingo. Would you prefer Class II MOD? It's in Chapter 17 of sturdavents. RCT? Maybe a Pulpotomy/ pulp-cap procedure? I typed that up very quickly, and really didn't care what random roman numeral i punched in, and even ignored it when reading my post. I just think it's very sad that you're proud to be an elitist Health practicioner, and the way you pick out something completely irrelavent to my statement like that worries me further.

Yes, you must be elitist, because you called him out on a mistake.:rolleyes:

Shadow1986,

You don't know me. However I will share this with you. I have better things to do with my time. I don't argue with people who can't see the nose on their face. Good luck in your career as a critic of your colleagues may you find comradery among them. I hope that you do change dentistry in a positive way.

Good comment squished rat. You hit the nail on the head.

You had to look it up? lol. Don't worry, once these idiots elect Obama, the elite will stop going into healthcare so we will be taken care of by the average instead of the intellectually superior. That should be fun.