correlation between number of "bumps" and prestige of thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microman

Microman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think there's a true correlation?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Donkey said:
HAHA.. that's ingenious.

anyhow, what do you mean by "prestige" of a thread? are you referring to the # of views a thread has? if it's for # of views, i think that any thread with the word "harvard" or "official" in the title gets a huge bonus irrespective of their actual content.

krelian said:
HAHA.. that's ingenious.

anyhow, what do you mean by "prestige" of a thread? are you referring to the # of views a thread has? if it's for # of views, i think that any thread with the word "harvard" or "official" in the title gets a huge bonus irrespective of their actual content.

Lol. That's true. Though I would also say that a thread with a topic more people can/will chime in on, the longer it stays around. So, all the ones for specific schools may find themselves buried at a higher rate than "what's the best MCAT prep course".

Also, what about threads that are made sticky and no longer need to be bumped?

Sorry for my ignorance....

but what is a bump? why do people write 'bump'?

Thanks.

landrus said:
Sorry for my ignorance....

but what is a bump? why do people write 'bump'?

Thanks.

"Bump" as in "bumping" the thread to the front of the Forum/top of the list.

I know we are pre-med, but do we really have to attach a title of "prestige" and calc a correlation for EVERYTHING.

No insult intended. :D

scrappysurfer said:
I know we are pre-med, but do we really have to attach a title of "prestige" and calc a correlation for EVERYTHING.

Haha... it seems to be ingrained in everything that we do. I can't help but notice my post count and wait for it to hit 500+ posts. I'm obsessed with numbers, even on SDN.

moderators have the power I would think. just like Heman

UCLAstudent said:
Also, what about threads that are made sticky and no longer need to be bumped?

scrappysurfer said:

I think that this thread was started mocking exactly that phenomenon in this forum.

Dr. Donkey said:
moderators have the power I would think. just like Heman

Right, but I was just wondering how a stickied thread relates in prestige to a bumped one. :D

The thread search function is not that automatic. It would take a while for one to determine the number of "bumps" per thread. It would rather be time consuming to carry out such correlation study.

I should have clarified that I meant a negative correlation. I suppose that my operational definition of "prestige" is the number of SDNers who are willing to be SEEN posting in a given thread. It seems as though there are some threads which are "beneath" many SDNers. Such undignified threads seem to have a lot of "bumps."

PBMaxx said:
"Bump" as in "bumping" the thread to the front of the Forum/top of the list.
actually... bump stands for "Bring Up My Post" interesting enough...

Are you sure? I though it stood for "Bum Underwear is Most Pleasant" in reference to the joy of wearing a thong.

virilep said:
actually... bump stands for "Bring Up My Post" interesting enough...