Correlation between private/public undergrad and public/private MD acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidespartan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if there is any correlation or not, but from my experience there seems to be. I applied to 20 MD schools as a public school undergrad; half private, half public. Many of the public schools have interviewed me by now (except for my own state schools... grrr) while many of the private schools have rejected me. Any similar experiences with others?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that people who are willing to pay for a private undergrad education (not me) are more likely to dish out the extremely high tuition required by private medical schools. When I interviewed at Albany, it seemed as if every med student had gone to a private undergrad.

Me: public undergrad (UF) => public med school (USA) [most likely]

yo

just a side note, swampman, you should call yourself swampass....its funny and many people suffer from this affliction (swampass) after consuming too much booze.

anyway, i went to a public school in ny and will go to public med school in ny. im cheap and dont really want to pay back loans forever.

are any of you guys gonna defer loans during residency? im going to, im so sick of being a poor bastard.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Brian20:
•yo

just a side note, swampman, you should call yourself swampass....•••••Do I really act like an ass? Is that what you are trying to tell me? If that's what you think, I'm sorry.

:confused:

public undergrad
applied to mostly private schools
already got in to
wash u, columbia, northwestern, and dartmouth

interviewed at some other private schools
so i think that sometimes its just random, the schools that you pick, and what the private schools are looking for. i'm sure you will find tons of people in each category that you have

I'll have to wait a while to vote. I went to a private school, and of the 23 schools I applied to, only 4 were state schools. I was rejected pre-interview by two at which I thought I had a good shot, and am waiting for word from the 2 others at which I've interviewed. We'll see about acceptances.

Of the 19 private schools I've applied to, 4 have rejected me, 2 have accepted me, 2 have waitlisted me, 7 more have or will have interviewed me, 1 invited me but I will withdraw, and I'm still waiting to hear from 3.

I think it will be hard to verify the correlation, if any, because of the variation in the number of state schools available to different applicants. I'm competing for 1 of 10 slots in my state program. The only other state schools it was realistic for me to apply to were those who accept a substantial number of out-of-staters, and even with those, chances are slim.

SwampMan, you do not act like an ass! I think it was an attempt at humor. :wink: