Cosmetic Website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DREDAY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this website needs some OMFS graduates/attending participation...... all of the comments/replies to questions/results are from plastics. OMFS need to represent.

http://www.realself.com/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, the plastic surgeons' comments seem pretty reasonable and civil.. expected more low blow shots at the profession

"Now there is certainly an overlap between specialities, for example - both plastic surgeons and ENT physicians are trained to perform rhinoplasties. But There is no reason that an oral surgeon should be performing anything other than oral surgery, unless he or she takes the requisite training to be a plastic surgeon."

The site is a giant display of turf battles. It has a lot of potential for patient education though. I've been checking out this site for a couple of years to see it evolve. They do have dentists on there for cosmetic dental cases and invisalign. I haven't been able to dig up the owner yet. It's based out of Seattle and the owner is blocked.

For example, some over arching themes in all the posts related to cosmetic stuff:

1) ONLY derms and board certified plastic surgeons should be doing botox, lasers, peels, etc
2) Even after ENT and a fellowship, they are almost as good as plastic surgeons
3) OMS are dentists out of control
4) Even OMS specific stuff is to be first referred to a craniofacial trained PRS. If one is not available, then try a local oral surgeon who might know a craniofacial PRS they can refer to. This includes TMJ, bimax, chin aug, etc. We do have a strong hold on wisdom teeth though.
5) And the most important thing: Most of the posts are shameless self promotions. But all things considered, the comments are usually extremely mild. Likely because the comments are attached to a real name and face.

I personally wouldn't want to get involved in that site in anything outside of teeth, titanium, orthognathics, trauma recon.

Dre brings up a good point, it is important to have OMS represent in the various sources of patient information.

It is ridiculous how far plastic surgeons go to slander other professions.:

This is posted by Dr. Moelleken in reply to a "lisenced" vs "board certified" question,

"Licensed" means the doctor has a medical license, which every single practicing doctor in the country has.

Board certified in plastic surgery is tough to get. You have to be an actual surgeon. You have to train in plastic surgery. You have to pass tough examinations by an AMA sanctioned entity, the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

"Cosmetic surgeon" "Aesthetic surgeon" are wastebasket terms that anybody can use, even a doctor trained yesterday at the worst medical school in the country who finished at the bottom of his class. Weekend course not even required to use those terms.

The patients we have seen in our office who have had the LifeStyle Lift have been uniformly dissatisfied. They have all the scars of a regular facelift, clumsily performed. They have had none of the benefits of deep tissue restructuring, platysmal improvement, let alone the high skill level required to make scars virtually invisible. And they are facing redoing their work entirely, if they can now afford it after spending their hard earned money on the minilift.

We really need some board certified OMFS representation in this website.

Don't bother, don't waste your time with these guys on the website. There are a million more sites with the same issues. You won't make a dent in their perceptions and the chances of doing anything productive there are zero to none. You won't change their minds. Patients on these websites think of you as dentists and oral surgeons, not Oral-MAXILLOFACIAL Surgeons. There are very few OMFS who actually do full-body cosmetics procedures anyway. Most who do are also dual plastics trained, not just fellowship trained.

If you want to do cosmetic surgery as part of your OMFS services, then by all means do so, especially if you have significant residency experience or better yet, the fellowship training to back you up.

I admire surgeons like Joe Niamtu for what they've done in the cosmetics arena for us. I'm all for you guys and gals going out there and doing the same... This is how you will change public perception. Not by getting into pissing matches on the internet.

I admire surgeons like Joe Niamtu for what they've done in the cosmetics arena for us.

I agree with you. I'm sure all residents get the same mass mailings regarding conferences and Niamtu is a lecturer on a majority of those cosmetic mailings. He is along side PRS, ENT, Ophtho, derm etc. I have heard from our faculty he has significant surgical talents and more importantly, GREAT people skills. Builds bridges right and left. Never disguises who he is or sells anyone out. Only problem is his courses cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Someday....