Cost for EM boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowderHound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Newly matched into EM, obsessed with budgets now that I'm (hopefully) buying a home and figuring out how I will widdle away my tiny intern salary. Got me thinking about how much I dropped on CK and CS this year and I was just curious as to how much I can expect to drop on ABEM written and oral exams in five years.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Newly matched into EM, obsessed with budgets now that I'm (hopefully) buying a home and figuring out how I will widdle away my tiny intern salary. Got me thinking about how much I dropped on CK and CS this year and I was just curious as to how much I can expect to drop on ABEM written and oral exams in five years.

Thanks!

The written and orals were a bit under 2K this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I forgot about the "Initial Certification" fee. That made it about $2300 (give or take) when all is said and done.

Don't forget travel to Chicago for the orals...

Don't forget your Step III, state medical licensure(s), and DEA number(s).

But to the OP. Don't worry about it too much. There is time to put away the money or earn extra money for these items. Particularly for the ABEM exams, you're probably working for at least a few weeks/months before the check clears. :laugh:

Generally most places that you work at as an attending will reimburse you for these sort of things. Either it comes out of your CME budget, or they just flat out will pay for it for you.

Its 2-3k for everything, considering you have to fly to Chicago to take the orals, have to get a hotel room for 1-2 days, etc. Not to mention if you take a class.

But fear not, you'll be making an attending salary at the time, so even if you had to pay for it, its all good.

Q

Just finished interviewing for attending jobs and plan to accept one on Monday.
All cool places, and sweet compensation. Most will pay for boards, as Quinn said.
I can't friggin wait to start.