Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Cost of application, interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by stwei, May 3, 2004.

1. stwei

stwei Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Has anyone totalled the cost of their application procedure? If you could, please provide a breakdown of all the major and minor costs involved.

Airfare
    taxi
    bus
    gasoline
    food
    hotel
    interview clothes
    MCAT training
    application fees
    gifts and cards

2. brats800

brats800 cheesehead
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if it gives you a hint, i've put a kidney up for auction on eBay.... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stwei

stwei Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone else? Can you be more specific please?

4. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

I can't bare to do a breakdown but I know it must have been in the $2.5-3K rnage. Kinda depressing now that I think about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I posted this question before and got some pretty good responses, do a web search.

6. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

Secondary application fees and airplane tickets were by far the most expensive aspects of applying. Try to stay with student hosts if you can on your out-of-state interviews. You'll save bank.

Between it all, I've probably spilled over 4G's on the app process. Possibly more. I'm hard pressed to calculate the nitty gritty this late at night.

7. Woatalk

Woatalk Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Which city do you live in? How far from your city are the schools your applying to?

Refer to my sig...

For me, I'm from Cali, so I applied to 40 schools...I turned in 22 of my secondaries (LOR and Secondaries=$95), and went to 14 of my interviews (3 in-state (spent less than $450) /11 out) .....so it mainly depends on you method of transportation, and dorming expenses.

8. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Airfare:

$200-400, maybe more, per school. Try studentuniverse.com.

taxi, bus, gasoline:

Depends. I'd allocate $50, if you don't spend it all, keep the rest for the next interview.

food, hotel:

Stay with student hosts!!!

interview clothes

If you're a guy, go buy a sport coat, some slacks, a pair of shoes, a dress shirt, and a tie. Maybe $150 - $250 if you go to the outlet store and aren't too picky (basic black, slate gray, or navy blue). If you're a girl, I don't know.

MCAT training :

Buy Kaplan Comprehensive Review. That's it. $65.00 on Amazon, can probably get one locally or on Ebay for a lot less. Seriously, don't waste your money. The MCAT costs $190. Practice MCAT's, I'd allocate $100. You get one free with the Kaplan book, you can probably get them off Ebay pretty cheap.

application fees:

Figure a total of $150 per school, including AMCAS, secondary, and sending your LOR's.

gifts and cards:

Too late, already broke. :-( Buy a postcard if you can. That's it.

I live in the midwest, our cost of living is very low. So actual mileage on this may vary. Needless to say, it's expensive.

9. sunkists

sunkists im a fatty
    7+ Year Member

applied to 10 schools. interviewed at 5.
    mcat prep + exam = 1300
    applications + secondaries = 900
    airfare/hotel/gas = 750