Cost of Applying...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rasajdak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... Say I have around $1k to drop on applications, how many schools could I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So... Say I have around $1k to drop on applications, how many schools could I apply to?

2 schools, and both must be within half a day's driving distance from where you live.

Also, for those people who apply to like 50 schools, how much are they spending?

Also, for those people who apply to like 50 schools, how much are they spending?

If you apply to many schools, expect to spent around $500-700 on applications alone. If you decide to interview at schools that require you to fly across the country, expect to spend around $500-700 per interview.

Well, figure about $150 for the first school, and $30 for each additional school. Do that separately for DO's and MD's. Right now that sum for me is $1050. (about 28 schools...but I will probably take 10 of those off the to-apply list before application time). Then, secondaries. In a perfect world I would receive secondaries from all of my schools. Right now, that figure is about $1500 (again, with 28 schools). Then, flying out to visit them for interviews. I KNOW I won't be receiving interviews from the majority of them...but I am HOPING for at least 3-5 interviews. That's HOPING, we'll see what actually happens. I'd probably have to fly to at least 3 of those, as most of my choices are out of state. So, that's probably $2000+ for interviewing. (My husband will probably fly out with me...so that's more money but we won't figure that in here.) All in all, ballpark of $5000. Damn, that sucks... And that doesn't figure in the cost to hold a spot in the class IF I actually get accepted somewhere.

So... $1000.... a couple of schools if you travel on the cheap and they are all either MD or DO, not both. Maybe half a dozen if they are all within driving distance or you don't plan on going to more than 1 interview.

Anyone else concur on those figures?

Well, figure about $150 for the first school, and $30 for each additional school. Do that separately for DO's and MD's. Right now that sum for me is $1050. (about 28 schools...but I will probably take 10 of those off the to-apply list before application time). Then, secondaries. In a perfect world I would receive secondaries from all of my schools. Right now, that figure is about $1500 (again, with 28 schools). Then, flying out to visit them for interviews. I KNOW I won't be receiving interviews from the majority of them...but I am HOPING for at least 3-5 interviews. That's HOPING, we'll see what actually happens. I'd probably have to fly to at least 3 of those, as most of my choices are out of state. So, that's probably $2000+ for interviewing. (My husband will probably fly out with me...so that's more money but we won't figure that in here.) All in all, ballpark of $5000. Damn, that sucks... And that doesn't figure in the cost to hold a spot in the class IF I actually get accepted somewhere.

So... $1000.... a couple of schools if you travel on the cheap and they are all either MD or DO, not both. Maybe half a dozen if they are all within driving distance or you don't plan on going to more than 1 interview.

Anyone else concur on those figures?

Just out of curiosity, what do your numbers look like?

I'll bite. Not much else going on here today. And I'm procrastinating. Need to write my BIO II final exam but don't feel like working on it.

I'm a non-trad, so I'm hard to compare to a straight-out-of-undergrad pre-med. Like many non-trads, I have a low uGPA, but have since worked my butt off to make up for it. MCAT is not back yet (practice tests suggest about 30, but we'll see) with a uGPA of 3.1. I have a grad degree in bio w/ research and a gGPA of 3.83. I am a full-time college biology lecturer and teach a number of undergrad bio courses including BIO I & II, A&P I & II. I now teach the courses that a decade ago in undergrad I didn't take seriously enough. Basically, an uphill battle against my uGPA, but we'll see if I can make it work.

i applied to all the DO schools, both primary and secondary, i only went to five interviews and put in a deposit for two. my grand total for the whole process is around $3500, not including the second $2000 deposit for my school of choice. for three of the interviews, i was able to drive to them, less costly but i did have to stay at a hotel. for two, i had to budget in a plane ticket and lodging.

when i applied for the primary and secondary applications, i really had no gauge on my chances. so, i didn't take any and applied to all of them. but pretty much, after my first acceptance, it wasn't necessary for me to go to all of the interviews. so i picked the ones i really liked and went to those. that would definitely cut down on some costs. my advice is apply early. there are just too many advantages to pass up!

goodluck!

Application costs are easy to gauge since you can figure out how much you're going to spend based on AACOMAS rates and secondary costs. Travel costs are what will kill you. Try to get on the forums and see when other people are interviewing with you and if they're willing to share a hotel room. Also, try to schedule your interviews that are within driving distance of each other together. For example, I was offered interviews at CCOM, KCOM and DMU. These are all within close proximity of each other, therefor I asked to reschedule all of them for the same week. Ended up flying into Des Moines, driving to Kirksville, driving to Chicago and flying out of O'Hare. Saved me money since I didn't have to make separate flights to Chicago and Kirksville. I also shared a room with someone on each interview (it was my wife, but still...) and stayed with friends in Chicago and Bradenton (drove there). If you or your parentals have frequent flyer points, interview season is your time to cash them in. As for getting good deals on hotels, most schools have special agreements with local hotels for discounted rates. Check each school's website for details. Lastly, priceline (and similar sites) can be your best friend. William Shatner can usually find you some good prices on flights should you need to pay for them.

I have no idea how much I spent, but I am sure it was around $5000 with travel expenses included. It is definitely not a cheap process!:scared: :luck:

I spent ~$1200 and applied to 10 schools, this does not include travel expenses.

I would apply to 10 at most. Primary and Secondary fees will cost you a lot. Travel expenses for interviews will trully eat into the bunch. If you are a poor applicant, and do not expect a lot of interview, you can apply to more, using the shotgun approach.