Cost of Attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaba

S.mutans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was just curious as to why the tuition is so high?? I am a Canadian and here the dental schools are around 20,000 MAX ... some places such as NYU have costs of appartments that exceed this?? Could I find something for maybe 1000$ month?? or less, I dont need luxury! LOL is everyone expected to pay 21,000$/year?? can this be split between several ppl (living together)? Also, say NYU is 78,000$/year thats what 120,000$ cdn? /year this is very very much money, is it even possible to get a loan as a Canadian especiallly that high? A lady told me that 20% of the incoming class are Canadians, so perhapse these figures are a tad high?

any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

whoa... i didnt know they were that much less. btw, is it true that canadian dent schools are more difficult to get into?

emthichrangdep said:
whoa... i didnt know they were that much less. btw, is it true that canadian dent schools are more difficult to get into?

Well depends... generally yes. For example @ U.T this year it is around a 3.8 GPA for just an interview. They however do drop your lowest year, but still. If you are applying out of province, acceptance is also not that great, just like UNC which gives preference to NC residence. I know people here that had 84% average and were put on the waiting list for Western Dental school. In addition, the DAT is not as highly valued as the GPA is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jaba said:
Hi. I was just curious as to why the tuition is so high?? I am a Canadian and here the dental schools are around 20,000 MAX ... some places such as NYU have costs of appartments that exceed this?? Could I find something for maybe 1000$ month?? or less, I dont need luxury! LOL is everyone expected to pay 21,000$/year?? can this be split between several ppl (living together)? Also, say NYU is 78,000$/year thats what 120,000$ cdn? /year this is very very much money, is it even possible to get a loan as a Canadian especiallly that high? A lady told me that 20% of the incoming class are Canadians, so perhapse these figures are a tad high?

any comments?

because things are better here and more expensive too.

First year at UBC for class of 2009 is estimated at $45,000. That will equal 200K after four years with the natural increase in tuition each year. A litle more than 20K. Also, Vancouver is an expensive city to live. Obviously not as much as NYC, however, still not cheap!

Also, 78k USD = 86.7K CAD.

So I feel there isn't that stagerring al difference. Our Canadian classes are probably on average smaller. Therefore the burden to teach a class is less spread out. I say this since all of our schools are equivalent to "In State".

petunia99 said:
First year at UBC for class of 2009 is estimated at $45,000. That will equal 200K after four years with the natural increase in tuition each year. A litle more than 20K. Also, Vancouver is an expensive city to live. Obviously not as much as NYC, however, still not cheap!

Also, 78k USD = 86.7K CAD.

So I feel there isn't that stagerring al difference. Our Canadian classes are probably on average smaller. Therefore the burden to teach a class is less spread out. I say this since all of our schools are equivalent to "In State".

your comparing 180,000 to 80,000 and thats not a staggering difference ???

ok I calculated it wrong... 79g's USD is around 89g's cdn per year.... but can someone still tell me if 21,000$/year is normal for housing?? I pay 650/month right now..I know a city costs more, but would it still be that amount if say you lived with other people... in other words, is the 21,000$ for 1 room?

thnx

STARCITY said:
because things are better here and more expensive too.

Actually, Toronto is a very expensive city. Many Canadians go over to the US to shop. Also, the quality of education at Canadian schools is excellent. The quality of living is also better in Canada. The difference is that we pay more taxes and so the schools can have lower tuition. The reason you see Canadians coming over to the US is because it's very difficult to gain admissions to schools here. For example, a can easily not even be granted an interview at the University of Toronto and gain admission to Harvard.

First off, NYU is a private school, and unlike Canadian or US state schools, it is not subsidized by the government. Thus, the cost burden has to be shelted by the students. Second, that 78k figure includes the total cost of attendance, housing included - that includes tuition, living expenses, etc., and yes, it's high regardless of the monetary conversion being used. Congress mandates the amount that schools are allowed to set aside for living expenses, and they haven't been updated in over 20 years and as such places such as New York in which base rent for even a non luxury apartment is very high students without additional forms of income will have a very hard time getting by.