Cost of Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phamdmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering the cost of dental school:

Say I want to apply to USC, how much would this be?

For AADSAS, DAT Score sending. transcripts, secondary, and everything else. I know the transcripts and sending of the letter of rec depends on your university, but can someone give me an estimate of how much everything cost?

Members don't see this ad.

I spent approximately $2000 just on DAT, AADSAS, and secondary applications. I applied to 11 schools. That does not include the costs of getting to and from interviews.

I spent approximately $2000 just on DAT, AADSAS, and secondary applications. I applied to 11 schools. That does not include the costs of getting to and from interviews.
same story here.

Members don't see this ad :)
ick, grab a calculator and do the math...i dont wanna be reminded of all the money lost in this process...specially on AADSAS which could never have correct updates or update at all...

good luck and be ready to pay a ton for this whole process...with last minute flights and hotel reservations plus application costs and deposits to hold seats...:eek:

again good luck,

khala Jaan

For AADSAS, DAT Score sending. transcripts, secondary, and everything else. I know the transcripts and sending of the letter of rec depends on your university, but can someone give me an estimate of how much everything cost?

It doesn't stop there...I'm not sure what USC's claim is for in/out of state tuition, but if it's like some other schools, the REAL cost of going there is probably somewhere around tuition*1.5ish. Once you go on the interview you will probably be given the "up-to-date" tuition AND FEES (this is where the 1.5 comes from) sheet of what it will really cost. You would be amazed at how much "books and instruments," "library fees," "registration fees," and "equipment fees" can add up! Oh, and don’t forget the mandatory insurance plans if you don’t already have your own.
It may seem like I am trying to scare you off, but it’s to point out that the cost of applying to dental school is pretty small in comparison to the mortgage-sized student loan you’ll have later.:rolleyes:

I'd say plan on saving about $5000. That way you have plenty of money to use for interviews and app fees etc. The more schools you apply to the more cash you need.

.5/.6 million

Sorry OP, its going to break the bank. I applied to 20 schools (which I totally regret now) and here's my breakdown so far (I may be a little off but not much!):

AADSAS fees: $1350
DAT: $600-650
Secondary fees (The worse!) $1200
3 Interviews so far: $1250
3 Interviews scheduled: $1000 or so
More Interviews!!!!: $?

Just face it OP, its alot of friggin bmoney and start saving your duckets now to not have a small coronary when the dollar amount of applying keeps on increasing. BTW, transcripts and rec letters are very small players in this ridiculous process.

This just prompted me to conduct an agonizing inventory of my dental financial history. I applied to like 8 schools but only got my secondaries into 5 and interviewed at 3 but one was in city so no real travel expenses.
DAT: 300
AADSAS: 675
Secondaries: 300
Interviews: 700
If you want to throw in DAT Prep (I just did topscore pro and the kaplan book. No class) and new interview suit, it's about 2500. I would say that is the absolute minimum you should plan on spending.

This just prompted me to conduct an agonizing inventory of my dental financial history.

Agonizing, indeed.

If the OP wants to apply to ONLY USC, it shouldn't be too much though..

I think this may be the breakdown for applying to only USC:
general AADSAS fee: $65
USC suppl. fee: $85
DAT test taking fee: $190
Official Score Report: $25
School transcript: ?
LORs: ?

Not included: interview trip cost, photo cost, suit, DAT prep.

Can anyone confirm this?

USC is private and so there is no difference in tuition amount for in state/out of state.

The entire process is very expensive, especially when you are travelling. However when you get in it is very much worth it. :thumbup: