Cost of housing near Case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted at Case and I would like some information on the cost of housing near the med school. What is the local housing market like? Is it cheap or expensive to rent an apartment in this area of Cleveland? Also, I read a thread bashing Cleveland recently. Any other thoughts about Cleveland as a place to live for 4 years. Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend you not attending case. Far too liberal for you. You'll find many whorish people at this school.

I have been accepted at Case and I would like some information on the cost of housing near the med school. What is the local housing market like? Is it cheap or expensive to rent an apartment in this area of Cleveland? Also, I read a thread bashing Cleveland recently. Any other thoughts about Cleveland as a place to live for 4 years. Thanks for the input.

Visit the Sub-forum allopathic med schools Case class of 2011 thread. There is a link posted in there that gives you far more information about Case and Cleveland than whats available on the Case website. Congrats on your acceptance!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

Housing in Cleveland is cheap cheap cheap. Its usually a 5-10 minute car ride away from school (neighborhoods immediately around the hospital are shady). The student I stayed with payed $600 for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Ya, it's cheap. Cleveland is not that nice of a place, but Case looks great. I work at CCF. I live with a roommate and pay $430 a month on a two-bedroom apt. (we split it). There are plenty of places 5-10 minutes from the school.

Ya, it's cheap. Cleveland is not that nice of a place, but Case looks great. I work at CCF. I live with a roommate and pay $430 a month on a two-bedroom apt. (we split it). There are plenty of places 5-10 minutes from the school.

In your opinion, what's so bad about Cleveland, besides the weather of course, but other than that. Is there nothing to do? I checked out that link that I suggested the OP visit and the Case SRC gave a great overview of places to visit and hang out. They seemed open and honest in their comments and opinions. I know you need to visit a place in order to really know what its like but it just didn't seem to be as bad as people keep making it out to be.

In your opinion, what's so bad about Cleveland, besides the weather of course, but other than that. Is there nothing to do? I checked out that link that I suggested the OP visit and the Case SRC gave a great overview of places to visit and hang out. They seemed open and honest in their comments and opinions. I know you need to visit a place in order to really know what its like but it just didn't seem to be as bad as people keep making it out to be.

agree with you... mostly just whiney suburban kids who have never ventured outside of the sprawl.

Cons, then Pros. My FIRST impression of the city: flat, grey, dark, dull, and brown. I interviewed at CCLCM and made it a point to get there early to check out the city. So here was my opinion as a someone who was born and raised in the DC burbs. I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum, which was great. Then I took a cab to the hospital. Driving through the city, it had kind of a run-down feel to it. So its not bustling.. The cab driver told me it used to be more lively, but its an old industrial city and it has kind of faded away. He told me that Cleveland was ranked the poorest city in the US.

The neighborhoods around the hospital campus are not safe to walk though (the cab driver refused to leave me on one side of the street on the border of the hospital campus - he said that street is not safe at night for a young lady to be standing on...). BUT there are a couple of spots around town that the students like to hang out, with bars and pizza places and stuff. There is a large u-grad population in the city too, so this seems to cater to them. Anyway, I had fun when we went out. Plus, I figured I'm going to be studying most of the time and so a lack of nightlife isn't such a huge deal.

Anyway, I can't stress enough how nice everyone was there. When I looked obviously confused, people came up to me and asked if I needed help. Its got that Midwestern feel to it. And if you are into hiking and being outside, about 1/2 hour east of the city, there are river valleys and rolling green hills and parks and hiking trails. Thats where a lot of the faculty lives. The city itself is the start of the great plains, according to my interviewer. Oh and rush hour traffic in the city is like 4:50 to 5:20.. thats it.

So anyway, I wasn't impressed at first, but I was really surprised by what it had to offer. Case and CCLCM are amazing schools. Everyone is really nice, its really cheap, and you can find things to do. There are lots of museums and stuff too.

Hope this helps.

Cons, then Pros. My FIRST impression of the city: flat, grey, dark, dull, and brown. I interviewed at CCLCM and made it a point to get there early to check out the city. So here was my opinion as a someone who was born and raised in the DC burbs. I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum, which was great. Then I took a cab to the hospital. Driving through the city, it had kind of a run-down feel to it. So its not bustling.. The cab driver told me it used to be more lively, but its an old industrial city and it has kind of faded away. He told me that Cleveland was ranked the poorest city in the US.

The neighborhoods around the hospital campus are not safe to walk though (the cab driver refused to leave me on one side of the street on the border of the hospital campus - he said that street is not safe at night for a young lady to be standing on...). BUT there are a couple of spots around town that the students like to hang out, with bars and pizza places and stuff. There is a large u-grad population in the city too, so this seems to cater to them. Anyway, I had fun when we went out. Plus, I figured I'm going to be studying most of the time and so a lack of nightlife isn't such a huge deal.

Anyway, I can't stress enough how nice everyone was there. When I looked obviously confused, people came up to me and asked if I needed help. Its got that Midwestern feel to it. And if you are into hiking and being outside, about 1/2 hour east of the city, there are river valleys and rolling green hills and parks and hiking trails. Thats where a lot of the faculty lives. The city itself is the start of the great plains, according to my interviewer. Oh and rush hour traffic in the city is like 4:50 to 5:20.. thats it.

So anyway, I wasn't impressed at first, but I was really surprised by what it had to offer. Case and CCLCM are amazing schools. Everyone is really nice, its really cheap, and you can find things to do. There are lots of museums and stuff too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Karakiz for your input. It seems Cleveland might be like a lot of big cities concerning the safety of young women/men at night so that doesn't come as a big surprise. It really doesn't seem that awful in the grand scheme of things. I hate it seems to be bleek but I think its all in what you make it. If the class of 2011 is full of (or at least have more than one) fun-loving adventrous matriculants, I'm sure even the bleekest of towns can come to life (after the resiquite amount of studying that is:D ). I would love to hear anyone else share their opinions on the pros and cons of living in Cleveland.

Cleveland is more dangerous than other cities. It is the poorest city in America and one of the most violent, too. I know Maestro thinks I am a suburban kid because I am not from Flint, MI, but I am from downtown Miami, FL which certainly is not the safest place either. Cleveland is **** by comparison to most U.S. cities. Maestro, have you ever spent significant time in Cleveland, or are you just arguing for the sake of sticking up for crappy places?

However, one plus is that housing is cheap. In Cleveland Heights, just up the hill from campus, a very nice one bedroom place is $600-800 per month and that includes utilities most of the time. Most of the apartments are in pretty nice neighborhoods too. The housing is a plus, Case is a plus, but take a really hard look at what life in Cleveland is really like.

I did my undergrad at Case, and, being a former suburban kid myself, I can tell you that it's fine. It's a city, yes, and you shouldn't be stupid and go wandering around alone at night, but you don't fear for your life running out for coffee in the morning. There's also plenty to do if you're willing to find it. If you want specific places PM me, I don't want to overload this post with details.

And everyone else is right, housing is cheap. I split a 5-bedroom house last year with three other people (used the huge 5th bedroom for workspace) and only paid $300 a month, right off campus. Cleveland Heights is nice, but some people think the walk is too far (wimps, in my opinion :p). The Murray Hill/Little Italy area is really close, but a bit older and more expensive, and also a little less safe, but still not bad. I still have (female) friends living there now, so it's all good.

I think that you can get a great education at Case. And, yes, Cleveland is not San Francisco, but it sounds like you can create a good life and have a very positive 4 years there.

I didn't mean to sound like Cleveland is the worst place in the US. Like others have said, it is ranked poorest in the nation, and while that may not necessarily be important, you really can see its effect on the vibrancy of the city. There are, however, certain pockets of neat places. Cleveland is the sort of place that is fun if you're willing to do some research. You can't really just go out for a night "on the town."

Agreed with above. However, with Case's workload, and I'm sure in the med school, it is difficult to find tons of time to find these neat places. And no, I don't consider Coventry or the Flats to be "culture."

Most people in the first year class live a 5-15 min. walk away in the little italy/cleveland heights areas. Both are pretty nice places to live and pretty cheap. Of course, super cheap housing can be found a 5-15min. drive away, which is where more of the upperclassmen live. There's definitely some cool neighborhoods, bars, & restaurants in cleveland, but like anything else, it's up to you & your friends to say "hey, this weekend let's go someplace else besides Coventry."

I pay around $700 for a one-bedroom, one-bath apartment, all utilities included. (Pick an apartment where heat is included, because you don't want to have to pay your heating bill.) Most of my classmates live in Shaker Heights, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. It's probably about three miles away from CCF and Case. That's a really nice place to live, and it has a lot of nice places to eat and hang out too. Other people live in Cleveland Heights, in Littly Italy, and in student housing on the Case campus. A few people live further out. One person was commuting from Akron (which is about a 30 mile drive) but decided to get an apartment closer to school. Some upperclassmen apparently live in lofts downtown, but I don't know anything about those. Anyway, you will definitely be able to find suitable housing, no problem.

As far as the city itself goes, I agree with the people who have said that Cleveland is what you make of it. I'm not a native Cleveland person, and I wasn't initially really gung-ho about Cleveland. But on the whole, I've been pleasantly surprised since I got here. This part of Ohio is really pretty. Last summer I drove out to see some local waterfalls and Amish country. You can go to the beach at Lake Erie. Some of my classmates are planning a ski trip. We are within driving distance to other cities like Chicago and Detroit. There are a lot of student-initiated activities. Pretty much anything you like to do, you can find someone else who likes to do it too. I would say the worst thing about Cleveland is that it seriously rains here constantly, and it's that misty rain that is like someone is spitting on you all day. Umbrellas are useless against it. :laugh:

The area right around Case is bad news bears. Bad neighborhood. The residential areas where students live are nice and homey, though. Like everyone said, it's a 5-10 minute car ride away. Take a look at Craigslist to get an example of housing costs.

Cleveland is like any major city. There are good parts and bad parts. Some parts are grubby and I wouldn't recommend walking around by yourself at night. But that's life. There are tons of things to do in Cleveland ranging from sports to the arts to shopping to going out. If you like the bar scene you'll like the Flats.

Like any other city, you can't expect to be entertained and fall in love with it automatically. You need to get out and explore, but BELIEVE ME, there are tons of great things to do in Cleveland!

The stupid thing won't let me edit. Another point is that the area right around Case doesn't house students exclusively. There are quiet neighbors with families and singles. You likely won't have to pay for an overpriced campus dump with crappy neighbors.

Correction: nice areas to live are not a 5-10 min. drive, they're a 5-10min. walk. There are certainly plenty of areas to live 5-10min. drive away too. =) Housing is very available and very cheap.

Ah good point. We could have walked from the hosue I was staying at but it was colllllld and snowy!!! (don't let that get you down.........it's really not that bad.)

Having lived in Cleveland for 7 years, I still consider Cleveland as my first real home-away-from-home. Granted, my original home was in the Southeast so the first snowfall was quite a shock for me.

I don't know what the housing rates are now, but the housing office at Case gives a decent range of housing to know about. The really cheap housing is Little Italy, which I had a single bedroom for $300 a month (and I could have had an efficiency for $250). Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights are quite a bit more expensive, but still around $500-700 a month per unit when last I checked.

The best part about living in Little Italy was not just the immediate access to the really wonderful restaurants in the area, but the August street Feast of the Assumption was right there. You also have the good parts of University Circle right at your doorstep.

As for "work," the Cleveland Free Clinic was located right at the border of the "good" city of Cleveland and the "badlands" of East Cleveland.

I still enjoy going back and visiting people in Cleveland when I travel there every 6 months or so. I've gotten very used to the city that I can almost claim it as a hometown for me. It's a very underappreciated city, and while it has its problems, it always has impressed me with what it offers.