cost of living in Cali compared to midwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgfuad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if i were to choose between USC / UoP vs. midwest schools, how much difference would i pay in houseing. Anyone have a "rough" estiment?

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you that around pacific you can expect to pay from about 900 to 1500 a month, but you can definitely get way more expensive than that.

yup, 900 to 1500 for something modest is the norm around here. At least in the cities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thats crazy. i pay 400 a month and am starving =[. thanks for the info, I may have to think twice about applying to UoP and USC. How is the city, would you guys practice there after school? Friendly people, many things to do? Thanks

letsgfuad said:
Wow, thats crazy. i pay 400 a month and am starving =[. thanks for the info, I may have to think twice about applying to UoP and USC. How is the city, would you guys practice there after school? Friendly people, many things to do? Thanks

Well, you are forgetting about your loans. If you get the max amount for living off-campus, you get $1925 a month while attending Pacific. I'm DEFINITELY not saying it's cheap, but it is managable. If you get into student housing you could be paying as little as ~650 for the Presidio or like ~$850 at Pacific apartments. I forget the exact numbers but those are ballpark.

UoP is expensive but I can say that I have loved every minute of it so far. Good luck with your application choices. I hope you still consider Pacific! :)

Fulcrum77 said:
Well, you are forgetting about your loans. If you get the max amount for living off-campus, you get $1925 a month while attending Pacific. I'm DEFINITELY not saying it's cheap, but it is managable. If you get into student housing you could be paying as little as ~650 for the Presidio or like ~$850 at Pacific apartments. I forget the exact numbers but those are ballpark.

UoP is expensive but I can say that I have loved every minute of it so far. Good luck with your application choices. I hope you still consider Pacific! :)

I thought the Presidio apartments were more expensive. Almost sure of that.

letsgfuad said:
So if i were to choose between USC / UoP vs. midwest schools, how much difference would i pay in houseing. Anyone have a "rough" estiment?

hard to give you an estimate but i'll give you a pretty good idea.

i lived in northridge, ca and paid 850/month for a 1bdr in a location where pizza hut refused to deliver saying the area was too dangerous.

now in indy, i pay 500/month for a 3 bdr house in a good area about 10 miles away from school.

hope this helped. good luck with your decision. i still miss LA but not sure if usc would be a better choice.

San Francisco is expensive.... period :D

eapleitez said:
I thought the Presidio apartments were more expensive. Almost sure of that.

My second year friend pays something like $650-680 for a shared three bedroom in the presidio. From my introduction packet for this incoming year, it lists 3 bedrooms/1 bath at $573-$747 per bedroom and 4 bedroom/2 bath at $541-$741 per bedroom. So it is quite possible to live in the Presidio in the ~$650 range as I stated previously (you will just have two to three roommates).