Cost of Living in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahxoxo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was just accepted to UCC (4 Year GEM from Canada) and am now trying to sort out the next steps. I know atlantic bridge has some information on costs but I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can give a rough idea of overall costs for actually living in Ireland. I can see info on rent but I am wondering about budgeting for food/transportation/health insurance/textbooks....

Trying to get a bigger picture as I will need a student line of credit.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Rent (single bedroom): 400 euros (low side). Sheare's gate is on the really expensive side but worry free if you can afford it.
Gas/heating (depends on weather you have electric or gas heating): can be a few hundred euros every 2 months
Internet: 60 euros per month. Really silly usually you need a contract. Can be very slow to install
Phone: 20 to 30 euros per month
Food: Can be like 30 to 75 euros per week on the stingy side.
Yearly Garda fee: 300-500 euros
Social Events: Eating out is around 15 to 30 euros.
Electricity: >75 euros per month
Insurance: Forgot. Think its a hundred per year.
Textbooks: Lots of second hand textbooks for sale each year. Also lots of online textbooks that student share. There are no mandatory textbooks, except almost everyone will get First Aid USMLE to write in if planning to get it.
You need to account for the following in the next 4 years:
Travel costs in third and fourth year for out of Cork city rotations: There were some rumours that they are no longer covering accommodations for rotations outside of Cork. Not sure if that went through.
USMLEs: ~ 6000 USD
Canadian boards:
Flights, accommodations, ERAS and CARMS application fees during interviews in fourth year: expect 10 - 20 k
Electives: US electives tend to be very expensive. Can be a couple grand per rotation.
Random things like blood tests that they want for electives, residency

Last edited: