Cost of living in NYC vs temple...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOLDenKatie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying to NYCPM since it's just a few hours away from where I live now. I also applied to temple but I wanted to get some info on how much rent is compared to other schools like temple and the cost of living overall (and cost of food) :). I know tuition is lower at nycpm compared to temple, but overall, would living in nyc for 4 years be really expensive compared to temple and their tution rate? Does NYCPM give out more scholarships to students? Are there any locations in/around nyc that are cheaper to live, and SAFE?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about applying to NYCPM since it's just a few hours away from where I live now. I also applied to temple but I wanted to get some info on how much rent is compared to other schools like temple and the cost of living overall (and cost of food) :). I know tuition is lower at nycpm compared to temple, but overall, would living in nyc for 4 years be really expensive compared to temple and their tution rate? Does NYCPM give out more scholarships to students? Are there any locations in/around nyc that are cheaper to live, and SAFE?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about Philly. From what I hear it is relatively cheap for a east coast city. I think it is cheaper than Boston.

New York is the most expensive city in the USA and I believe number 7 in the world. Cheap and New York do not match up in any way shape or form.

But I mean anything is doable. Get a bunch of roomates. Don't take cabs. Don't eat out etc. There are ways to budget anywhere.

I believe the cheapest pod schools as far as cost of living goes are ocpm and dmu.

Thanks in advance!

I graduated NYCPM 2007

I lived in queens in a one bedroom apt for $1000 a month
Then I lived in the south bronx for $1300 a month.

The school has student housing at reasonable prices. Call admissions and ask about it.

Some areas of NYC are thought to be safer than others, but crime happens all over the city. I am a white female and was never bothered by anyone, i left school late at night, took the subway late at night and lived in the south bronx (not typically known to be safe).

You'll have to visit the areas and see how you feel. If you don't feel safe, don't live there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance!

I can tell you that the cost of living in Philadelphia is less than NYC. I am from NYC originally and now live in Philadelphia. As for emericana comment about Boston vs Philadelphia, Philadelphia is definitely cheaper than Boston. As for living in NYC, you can definitely find some affordable housing (they are out there if you look) and live on a modest budget. As mentioned by other posters, it is all about you budgeting. As I tell my friends, there are poor people that live in NYC and are doing okay.

Go where ever you will be happy; don't worry about money, thats what loans are for. I live on loans alone and am doing just fine in NYC. I'll pay them back when I start making a salary. I will come in at less than 200,000 for my four years here, and that includes every penny spent on everything. I do eat out quite a bit. Most of the young people here are poor and trying to make it in NYC.

Off topic, I think it is BS when someone says they can't go to college because it costs too much. Take out loans, go to school, pay them back.

Off topic, I think it is BS when someone says they can't go to college because it costs too much. Take out loans, go to school, pay them back.

You have a point, but it wasn't until the last couple of decades that people could take out loans large enough to cover all college expenses. We should consider ourselves lucky that we have that ability now. It evens the playing field.

New York is definitely way more expensive than Philadelphia.