Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Cost of Necessary Medical "Tools"

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by barcher, Mar 4, 2002.

1. barcher

barcher Member

I will be starting medschool this summer and was curious about a couple of things. First, which medical "tools" are generally good to purchase (i.e. stethoscope, otoscope, sphygmomanometer, etc.)? What are the prices to be expected to pay for these things? Finally, did any of you purchase these things from used medical supply stores? Thanks for the info.

brent

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ckent

ckent Banned
    Banned

You usually will purchase these items with your class, generally at the end of first year depending on your school. The cost for all the items that you "need" is around $500 total, the ophthalmoscope costs the most at around 300-400 for a good one, stethescopes can cost 20-150, but you get what you pay for so most students are expected to spend around 100 for a stethescope. You don't need to buy a blood pressure cuff, don't buy one even if they tell you to buy one.

4. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending

Attending Physician
    Personally, all I think you need is a stethoscope, a pen light, a reflex hammer, and a couple of those laminated cards that have things like eye charts, steroid potencies, etc.

A blood pressure cuff -- oh, my! Please go spend your money on a digital camera instead.

A diagnostic kit -- hey, I'm going into ENT and I still don't own one.

Tuning fork -- eh, it's only a few bucks, but it's such an-almost-useless device.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I would only buy a stethoscope - and only because your attending will sometimes ask you for one and its considered bad form as a student or intern to be scopeless.

If you are really smart, you'll go into Derm and won't have to buy anything. Make lots, save lots.

6. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I second Kimberli's recommendation of stethoscope only. If you ever need an ophthalmoscope/otoscope or whatever, it is usually hanging on the wall or nearby at the nurses desk. SAVE YOUR MONEY. A pen light is not a bad idea but you can usually grab a freebie floating around the hospital/clinics. You'll spend enough on books you don't need (but you don't know you don't need them at the time) so save your money on equipment.

7. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster

Attending Physician
    I'll second Kim's statement of going into Derm. :)

8. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    I wouldn't buy anything before you start med school, including a stethoscope, unless your school tells you otherwise. Schools vary as to what they give their students and whether they will give students extra financial aid for expensive equipment students might need to buy. For example -- my med school's alumni association gives a stethoscope as a gift to every incoming first-year med student. A few of my classmates didn't realize this and had already wasted money prepurchasing stethoscopes (or were given them as presents).

So wait until you hear the final word from your school as to what you needto buy and when. Oh -- and I agree with the above posts that you really don't need to buy an ophthalmoscope/otoscope -- you can use that $400 for something much more fun, like vacation. :)