Cost of Pharmacy Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sprinkles

Want to be a Pharmacist!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do schools increase their tuition so much each year? I can't believe some of these schools can charge so much when there are other schools that are so much cheaper. :oops: Its a headache trying to compare school costs, pre-reqs and all that jazz................:D

Members don't see this ad.

Why do schools increase their tuition so much each year? I can't believe some of these schools can charge so much when there are other schools that are so much cheaper. :oops: Its a headache trying to compare school costs, pre-reqs and all that jazz................:D
If they're public, they increase tuition at the rate they're being defunded by the local government. This seems to be rampant across the States recently. If they're private...they raise their rates at the same rates as the publics so they don't appear cheap and so they can take more of your money.

Long & short of it is that they can and until federal loans are harder to get, the cost will keep going up and up.

So long as someone else is paying for it (at least for the first 3-4 years...) most people don't care what it costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long & short of it is that they can and until federal loans are harder to get, the cost will keep going up and up.

So long as someone else is paying for it (at least for the first 3-4 years...) most people don't care what it costs.
It's so true. I think this might be one of only a handful of issues where I might agree with Ron Paul (sounds like he wants to transfer loan-making ability to the institutions themselves....leaving them in charge of handling defaults).

It's so true. I think this might be one of only a handful of issues where I might agree with Ron Paul (sounds like he wants to transfer loan-making ability to the institutions themselves....leaving them in charge of handling defaults).

Indeed, it's just one way of passing the buck onto someone else. I wish I kept the story now, but I remember reading in the NYT about University of Phoenix paying homeless people a small amount of money to sign up for FAFSA and declare that they were taking classes at U of Phoenix so that said school would get federal $ or something like that.

Ah well. Eventually the bubble will have to burst and it should be really interesting.

Indeed, it's just one way of passing the buck onto someone else. I wish I kept the story now, but I remember reading in the NYT about University of Phoenix paying homeless people a small amount of money to sign up for FAFSA and declare that they were taking classes at U of Phoenix so that said school would get federal $ or something like that.

Ah well. Eventually the bubble will have to burst and it should be really interesting.
I've been wondering lately about those numbers you get re: default rates. Is there any way to find out the exact default rate on a program-by-program basis (e.g., how many people in School Y's pharmD program defaulted instead of how many people at School Y overall)? I haven't found anybody willing to be candid with me on these numbers. I'm tempted to look into filing a Freedom of Information Act request...

Don't those fake schools like UPhoenix and ITT Tech try to recruit veterans because they have education credits.

The bubble is bursting as we speak in a giant climactic event. Just look around man. And people say how dumb I am for commuting to a job every weekend in addition to all the other things I do. I should just hook up a caffeine IV to my arm and say whatevs!

I don't feel bad for those people. If they're stupid enough to go there and the government is stupid enough to send money there then I should just be glad that I know better.

I don't feel bad for those people. If they're stupid enough to go there and the government is stupid enough to send money there then I should just be glad that I know better.

Fully agree.

But isn't the government's money actually YOUR money? :idea:

The bubble is bursting as we speak in a giant climactic event. Just look around man. And people say how dumb I am for commuting to a job every weekend in addition to all the other things I do. I should just hook up a caffeine IV to my arm and say whatevs!

Truth.

I should really just go open my damn bakery with a small business loan and be happy.