Cost of school and finacial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student247

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a person has a total of both undergrad/graduate loans of $93,000. is there still a prospect of receiving enough money from the government to pay for medical school? Or should I write off that idea and look to paying for it some other way? I know there is a limit to how much a person can receive, I just don't know what that limit is. Help please!

regards,
student247

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Student,

I too have a fair amount of undergraduate and graduate debt, about 57,000. Federal loan aggregate limits are around 189,125. Knowing this, I know that if I receive no scholarship aid I will be borrowing approximately 192,000 for school. That in itself will exceed the federal loan limits without even considering my previous debt.

There are solutions, however. You still need to apply for federal aid; alternative loans will make up the rest. Keep in mind, however, that many alternative loans also have cumulative educational debt aggregates (for MEDLOANS it's 200,000). There is a way around this, and this is what I'm doing. I applied for federal aid and an alternative loan to cover the remainder of the costs. It's the Medachiever Loan by Key Financial Group. Their website is <a href="http://www.key.com" target="_blank">web page</a> . You can also get in touch with them by calling 1-800-KEYLEND. I asked for an additional 12,000 the other day. I applied by phone and it took only about 10 minutes. I called them back 48 hours later and my loan was approved. All I have to do is sign the prommisory note they are sending to be and forward it to my medical school. I hope my verbose answer helped.

Joe

Eagle26,

I can't begin to thank you enough. I was getting worried about the money problem. Now, I'm much more relieved. Thank you.

Regards,
Student247