Cost of the application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BcWildcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how much has the dental school application process costed people this year? Just wanting to know how much money to have saved up by then. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should save up a couple grand, just to be on the safe side.

Let's see I applied to 23 schools at around $100/school = $2300 to AADSAS.
Sent secondary application fees to about 20 of those schools at an average of $70/school = $1400 directly to schools
Went to 5 interviews: 3 flights + gas to airport + gas driving to 2 interviews + 5 nights hotel + food = ~$1700
1 deposit placed = $5000

Bad news: Total application cost = $10400 +/- $200 ie A LOT
Good news: Will be a dentist

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GEEZ, that is a ton of money....I was about to buy braces but now I'm not sure if I should just wait!

Sent secondary application fees to about 20 of those schools at an average of $70/school = $1400 directly to schools
Went to 5 interviews: 3 flights + gas to airport + gas driving to 2 interviews + 5 nights hotel + food = ~$1700
1 deposit placed = $5000

That's nuts.

Hope you like NYU.

Reactions: 1 user
1 deposit placed = $5000

if you apply to 10 dental schools and no deposite counted (since it will be counted to ur tuition and given back to you) the cost will only be around 2000-3000$ 3000$ on the spending luxuriously a bit side

W/o interview costs: $2100 w/: $3200

I applied to 14 schools. Between AADSAS, DAT prep and registration, secondaries, and interviews, I spent between $5-6k.

7 schools, 5 interviews, and dat , about$2500, not including deposit, rode the bus in 4 different states, that alone saved me about $400.

you applied to 10 schools correct? sounds about right amount i plan on to spend this summer. 3000$ is a lot though
9 schools and only went to 5 interviews. It's pricey, that's why I don't blame that guy that was panhandling on that other thread haha

Members don't see this ad :)
7 schools, 5 interviews, and dat , about$2500, not including deposit, rode the bus in 4 different states, that alone saved me about $400.

lol i assume u got all 9 interviews. what a baller.
what is your stats and the schools if you dont mind.

4 interviews, after gas, flights, hotels food, and applying (first and secondary apps) = $5000.00

Lol lets take a look...
at most 3000 probably fees for applying? (Deposit, application, secondaries, etc.)
1200 for flights (flying to Canada didn't make it cheap)
extra 500 on hotels, foods, car and gas?

Wowie. I'm sorry man. Things are too expensive now. I was thinking my entire dental school app. cycle incl. interviews + apps would cost 1K MAX, and I thought that was still on the higher end.

Wowie. I'm sorry man. Things are too expensive now. I was thinking my entire dental school app. cycle incl. interviews + apps would cost 1K MAX, and I thought that was still on the higher end.

The AADSAS application without secondaries may cost you more than $1000 alone.

The processing fee for the 2016 ADEA AADSAS application is
  • $245 for the first dental school plus
  • $93 for each additional school.

The AADSAS application without secondaries may cost you more than $1000 alone.

The processing fee for the 2016 ADEA AADSAS application is
  • $245 for the first dental school plus
  • $93 for each additional school.

Why does AADSAS need so much money for dental school applications? A $40-50 fee to process and upload your application, and then a $5 fee per school I can understand. This is just too extreme.

Last edited:
Like I said, ridiculous. Why does AADSAS need so much money for dental school applications? A $40-50 fee to process and upload your application, and then a $5 fee per school I can understand. This is just too extreme.

Dental school is already crazy expensive and all of these other parties are putting more burden on students by charging extraordinary fees.

not to mention you pay 34$ to send a official DAT report

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't know that was possible..lol.

yes it is, you become a guinea pig for our own classmates (cleaning for sure). i am pretty sure since you are a student, they offer a voucher for you. For sure thou, one dental student has at least 1 voucher that minimize or waive dental procedures' fee for one person of their choice

yes it is, you become a guinea pig for our own classmates (cleaning for sure). i am pretty sure since you are a student, they offer a voucher for you. For sure thou, one dental student has at least 1 voucher that minimize or waive dental procedures' fee for one person of their choice

Oh wow, I was about to shell out $6,000. I just feel like it would be hypocritical to go to dental school and be a dentist if I have really bad teeth.

Oh wow, I was about to shell out $6,000. I just feel like it would be hypocritical to go to dental school and be a dentist if I have really bad teeth.

Save your money, they only charge you for the material cost, which is also at a discounted price. You can get invisalign for like $1500 or less from what I heard. Besides, you don't even see patients til mid 2nd year to 3rd year, by which point your teeth will be in good shape even if you get braces after you enter dental school.

Like I said, ridiculous. Why does AADSAS need so much money for dental school applications? A $40-50 fee to process and upload your application, and then a $5 fee per school I can understand. This is just too extreme.

Dental school is already crazy expensive and all of these other parties are putting more burden on students by charging extraordinary fees.
I think it is mainly so that people really think about where they apply. If it was $5 for each school we would all apply to every school. Since it is $93 that is low enough to afford it but high enough to make people really consider which schools they want to apply to. This makes it easier on the whole system so that adcoms don't have to sift through every single application for every applicant. Instead they only have to sift through people who are interested enough to pay $180 including secondary fee. It sucks but that's just the way it is unfortunately...

I think it is mainly so that people really think about where they apply. If it was $5 for each school we would all apply to every school. Since it is $93 that is low enough to afford it but high enough to make people really consider which schools they want to apply to. This makes it easier on the whole system so that adcoms don't have to sift through every single application for every applicant. Instead they only have to sift through people who are interested enough to pay $180 including secondary fee. It sucks but that's just the way it is unfortunately...

A better system would be a "package" of schools.

For example, 5 schools $100; 10 schools of your choice $190; 15 schools $250; etc. etc.

Students can choose their top picks, are careful about the money spent, and are not robbed when trying to build a secure future.

1K?! I'm quite jelly. also I did apply in late September so had to just put as much dental schools as my bank account would allow to increase my chance of getting in this cycle :laugh::laugh:

All approximates:

-$4,000 for DAT, AADSAS, and 2ndary apps
-$1,500 for suits, hotels, and everything else interview related
-$5,000 for non-refundable deposits to a school I will not be attending

So yea I kinda wanna shoot myself. Get to go to a state school though :love:

18 schools.. + supplementals= ~$4,000... One interview across the country= 600$... Depends on where you travel for interviews.

All approximates:

-$4,000 for DAT, AADSAS, and 2ndary apps
-$1,500 for suits, hotels, and everything else interview related
-$5,000 for non-refundable deposits to a school I will not be attending

So yea I kinda wanna shoot myself. Get to go to a state school though :love:

10k?? oh my...I thought I had it rough...

18 schools.. + supplementals= ~$4,000... One interview across the country= 600$... Depends on where you travel for interviews.

1 interview out of the 18? I hope you got in! haha

i think he means only 1 interview across the country

I dont want to apply to 20 schools and want to keep my number to 11 schools.

That's what I thought haha but i wasn't sure.

Ha going to cost you quite a bit more than 1k haha. Thank god I was working full time. Plus the dental school deposit ain't no joke. This cycle bankrupted my savings lol

Southwest Airlines has a credit card that had a promo
Of 50,000 free points at the time. That gave me 3 round trip tickets

It's a business with complete monopoly. They make millions every year and can charge whatever they want.

So how much has the dental school application process costed people this year? Just wanting to know how much money to have saved up by then. Thanks!

For me it was around $4,500.00. That's the cost of taking the DAT and the study materials. The aadsas application to 15 schools. The supplemental applications to those schools too. Plus travelling to interviews. Thankfully there was enough time between the application and interviews that I had a chance to make money since I'm flat broke.

Plus the new suits I got for the interviews, and a $1,000 acceptance fee.

I would also like to thank my Wells Fargo credit card as well........

Last edited:

Well I had 5 invites, attended 4, 2 acceptances, 2 wait lists. Hahah

Oh and my 4600$ doesn't include probably ~1000$ for dat/ study materials and the 5,000$ non refundable deposit I have at NYU. If you work and think that you will be saving money for dental school - you won't. You will probably spend it all on admissions and deposits before entering and then be broke for your entrance to school. Woooohooo

5k with no deposits paid. How the hell am I going to reapplying...

Don't forget that anyone who is moving to a new city will need to put down a deposit on an apartment well before financial aid is dispursed. That will be an additional few thousand for the NYU and Columbia folk...

It is ridiculous. What an expensive and unnecessarily tedious process

Don't forget that anyone who is moving to a new city will need to put down a deposit on an apartment well before financial aid is dispursed. That will be an additional few thousand for the NYU and Columbia folk...

Most apartments that my wife-to-be and I have found are around $2800 for a 1br. Most also want 1st months rent and a security deposit equal to 1st months rent due at signing. That's another $5600! Good thing I sold my Jeep and made $4700 on it. She'll also sell her Jeep when we move so that'll save us another $750/mth

Most apartments that my wife-to-be and I have found are around $2800 for a 1br. Most also want 1st months rent and a security deposit equal to 1st months rent due at signing. That's another $5600! Good thing I sold my Jeep and made $4700 on it. She'll also sell her Jeep when we move so that'll save us another $750/mth
Holy crap. Thats so much money for a 1 bedroom.

Dental school is already crazy exp"ensive and all of these other parties are putting more burden on students by charging extraordinary fees.

Ridiculous- what did you....travel first class through the longest possible route, eat at 5 star hotels or something?

For those who are applying or will be, the AADSAS is kind of expensive sure (applied to 10 schools = $1000, school fees = $650). But the real cost came from the travelling costs.

If you travel at all, you'll find that gas, air fare, hotels, food, rental cars will add up very, very quickly (especially under 25 *cough* *cough*).

I met a guy who had to fly from Hawaii for every single one of his interviews. I dont often feel bad for my competition. I felt bad for that guy.

As for the AADSAS costs, the processing cost are more than justified if you have taken a look at what goes into GPA verification and putting together the application. I'd shoot myself if I had somehow end up doing a job verifying other people's GPAs to transcript day in and day out. The application fee per school is a bit steep but are more than likely there to regulate the amount of application applicants send. Because you and everyone else here would agree that we would send their application to every dental school in the country if we can.

We could get a house for that kind of money near some schools....#usingHPSPdollarsforhomeequity
Yeah you could get a really really nice brand new home in utah for 2800/month

I also heard from a friend that the deposits for medical school are $100 and refundable. Making the dental admissions process and 5000$ deposits seem even more ridiculous. For example how does stonybrook have a 350$ deposit that's refundable and NYU 5000$ non refundable. This process just doesn't make sense.