PreDental88

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Let's say you get accepted into 2 schools,
(1): your state school where tuition is 17k-25k a year
(2): your dream school where tuition is 40k-45k a year

Where would you go? You're state school is "dirt" cheap, the location is unlively and you've been there your whole life. Whereas your dream school (UCLA) is in your ideal location, with ideal weather, and where you want to end up living for the rest of your life. Should money play that big of a factor in your decision-making process? Where would you choose to go and why?

redchesus

10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2007
Status
Dentist

Where would you go? You're state school is "dirt" cheap, the location is unlively and you've been there your whole life. Whereas your dream school (UCLA) is in your ideal location, with ideal weather, and where you want to end up living for the rest of your life. Should money play that big of a factor in your decision-making process? Where would you choose to go and why?
I would go with your dream school just because you need to be in location where you'll be happy for 4 years (happiness affects your grades) and, if you want to live and work there, you'll want to start networking in that city

But! It also depends on the happiness you place on being debt-free

nanilla

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2007
Status
PreDental what is your state school? When did you interview at UCLA?

and you should def. go to UCLA

May 30, 2009
Status
you only live once. If you think that happiness is worth the difference in tuition go for it. If not, then don't.

For me personally, I'd go to school that I am happy with if I am able to pay the tuition.

Rubber Dam Man

protecting you since 1950
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Maryland
Status
Dental Student

Go with your dream school, ESPECIALLY because that's the area where you want to live and practice after dental school

Seahawk

Nothing to do here
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2010
Status
Dentist
100k vs 200k is huge. I'd stay IS.

Oct 3, 2010
St. Peter, Minnesota
www.facebook.com
Status
Dental Student
I had a similar decision. I got into USC and MWU
I much prefer the location of usc as I love surfing and with my sinuses dry weather isn't very pleasant. The price difference is just too much to sway me though. Coming out of school with less debt will allow me to settle down in an area that I want sooner, and I wouldn't have wanted to stay in LA anyways.

UBDent19

7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2010
Southeast
Status
Dentist
I had a similar decision. I got into USC and MWU
I much prefer the location of usc as I love surfing and with my sinuses dry weather isn't very pleasant. The price difference is just too much to sway me though. Coming out of school with less debt will allow me to settle down in an area that I want sooner, and I wouldn't have wanted to stay in LA anyways.
Aren't both those schools extremely expensive?

UBDent19

7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2010
Southeast
Status
Dentist
Predental88, what is it about LA that makes it your dream place to live versus your home state? I'm from San Diego, so maybe I can confirm/disprove any notions you have about life in Southern California (Incidentally, I'm probably going to attend Buffalo Dental school, albeit for family reasons).

Oct 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental

I'm in the same predicament. I'm choosing my dream school though. Money isn't everything..I want to be happy. Go with what your gut tells you!

OP
P

PreDental88

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
PreDental what is your state school? When did you interview at UCLA?

and you should def. go to UCLA
My state school's tuition is roughly 25k a year, and I interviewed at UCLA on October 22.

Predental88, what is it about LA that makes it your dream place to live versus your home state? I'm from San Diego, so maybe I can confirm/disprove any notions you have about life in Southern California (Incidentally, I'm probably going to attend Buffalo Dental school, albeit for family reasons).
That's a really good question. I often visit LA and found that I enjoy the weather, the accessibility and availability of things to do and great places to eat, the diversity of LA, the program as we all know is one of the best in the nation (in terms of reputation and producing quality physicians). I can't explain it, but I just belong in LA. It felt like home to me. What do you enjoy and not enjoy about LA?

Last edited:

dentstd

Fena Gonzales
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
Status
Dental Student

No one turns down UCLA for some random state school elsewhere.

Dec 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I would definitely go with UCLA.. You can't really put a price on the experiences you will have at your dream school. SO many of my friends view UCLA as their dream school... You're so lucky to have that option!

7 Iron

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2010
Status
Dentist
Normally I would say go with the cheaper school--debt is debt. And that 20k difference per year (I have a feeling those numbers don't include fees, books, or living expenses) will become over 100k more expensive after you factor in interest payments. However you did say you want to settle down and practice near UCLA. So I would go with the dream school as well since you will make many connections while in dental school that will help you after you graduate.

racquetballer

7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2010
Maryland
Status
Dentist
For me it depends. UCLA cost of living is high and you will most likely be >100k more in debt there than at MWU. Although it is nice to think experiences trump finances, it is getting to the point where you will be throwing a away maybe even 2 years of your career paying for that difference when you account for interest accruing on the loans you take out. Plus, you will be busy at school most of the day to enjoy the weather. My advice is to go to MWU and take sweet 2 week vacations between years for ~3k:smuggrin:

Oct 14, 2009
Status
No one turns down UCLA for some random state school elsewhere.
Texas schools>all schools. Their tuition can't be beat. I would even turn down my top choice for it. Thank god, I'm not a texas resident, and I'm not in that dilemma PHEW! Haha, this argument is hard to consider!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

UBDent19

7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2010
Southeast
Status
Dentist
What do you enjoy and not enjoy about LA?
PreDental88, without a doubt, the most attractive thing about Southern California is the weather. I wouldn't say it's the best in the country because that is subjective (many people prefer a change of seasons). But it is the most temperate in the country and that means you almost never have to cancel something you want to do because of bad weather.

Arguably, the worst thing about LA is the traffic. The word "nightmare" describes it pretty well. Living in a city that can take 3 hours to cross gets to everybody after awhile. I live in San Diego and don't have nearly as bad of traffic, but I go to LA often. Saying it's the worst traffic in the country is not much of an exaggeration.

The cultural life is rich but could also be a big distraction for you while in school. Personally, I am looking forward to the relatively quiet scene in Buffalo so I can focus on studying.

I see you're from Colorado. If you're into mountain sports, it will take you at least 5 hours to get to the good stuff in the Sierras (of course it's great there...even better than Colorado in my opinion). You can ski one hour east of LA but it's pretty poor compared to Colorado.

Having said all that, UCLA is a top school and I think hanging a degree on my wall from them would supersede almost any other reason to go somewhere else.

Hope that helps!