Cost to expect for applying to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegeboy30000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

This thread is for each of us to inform future pre-dents on the cost of applying to dental school. I applied to seven schools, during the winter break I am seriously going to make a "Mastercard" commercial, "...Priceless".

Test Prep (Kaplan, etc..):$1,007.94
DAT Fee (seven schools):$200
AADSAS Fee (seven schools):$555
Secondary Application Processing Fee:$345
Clothing [Interview Clothes, and overcoat(s),etc...]:$542
Traveling Expenses:$1,045.60

Total Cost of Application Process:$3,695.54

Getting accepted to dental school:PRICELESS

:D :p :thumbup: :thumbup:

Let's all put in our "two cents" of how much we have invested in our careers!

[Side Note: Not meant to scare future pre-dents, but to inform on the expected cost, which is minimal with respect to getting accepted to dental school]

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 11 schools:

AADSAS fee: $795
DAT fee: @ $325
School fees: @ $500
5 interviews: @ $400 - $ 450/interview x 5 = $2,200. (Three trips to East Coast, One to CA, One to PHX)
Total: $3,820

Members don't see this ad :)
OOH! me too ! me too!

Test prep -$55
DAT Fee - $150-ish
AADSAS FEe - $470 ish
Secondarely Fee - $335
Clothing ( borrowed suit from friend) - $0
Traveling : gas, tolls, and parking fees- $70

Total - around $1100 .......That's the cost of a Louis Vuitton Speedy 25 and a matching wallet. ...about.

Ok

DAT prep: $50 Kaplan, $30 Barrons, $70 Topscore = $150
DAT Fee: $285
AADSAS Fee:$750ish
2ndary Fee: $550
Clothing: $90
Travel: $100

Total: $1925.00

Plus my first time application that set me back about $1000.00

Applied to 18 schools

DAT Fee - $150
AADSAS Fee - $1200
Secondary Fee - $750
Clothing - $375
Traveling : planes, trains, and automobiles - $900
DAT test prep: Kaplan, TopScore, Achiever - ~$150

Total: ~$3500

Hello SDNers,

This thread is for each of us to inform future pre-dents on the cost of applying to dental school. I applied to seven schools, during the winter break I am seriously going to make a "Mastercard" commercial, "...Priceless".

Test Prep (Kaplan, etc..):$1,007.94
DAT Fee (seven schools):$200
AADSAS Fee (seven schools):$555
Secondary Application Processing Fee:$345
Clothing [Interview Clothes, and overcoat(s),etc...]:$542
Traveling Expenses:$1,045.60

Total Cost of Application Process:$3,695.54

Getting accepted to dental school:PRICELESS

:D :p :thumbup: :thumbup:

Let's all put in our "two cents" of how much we have invested in our careers!

[Side Note: Not meant to scare future pre-dents, but to inform on the expected cost, which is minimal with respect to getting accepted to dental school]

Your costs are similar to mine.. I applied to 7 schools too, and I also took a Kaplan prep class... and even though I'm still waiting on a few schools...

GETTING ACCEPTED INTO DENTAL SCHOOL... PRICELESS!!

THERE ARE SOME THINGS MONEY CAN'T BUY.. FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.. THERE'S AMERICAN EXPRESS!! (AT LEAST FOR ME) :laugh:

DAT prep: $200
DAT Fee: $150ish
TMDSAS Fee:$75
Hotels and Travel Exp: $500

Total: $925.00

:(

I dunno..

Flight to the states from Tokyo ALONE: >$1000

7 schools

Kaplan: 1100
DAT Fee: 200
AADSAS: 555
Application Fees for individual schools: 369
Traveling Expenses: ~1000
Deposits on 3 schools: 1500

TOTAL: $5,664

Receiving 5 acceptances by Dec 1st and having the bitter sweet option to choose where I want to study....PRICELESS :D

i spent about $3500 total during the application process.

I hope those $1000 Kaplan classes are really worth it...

Applied to 5 schools ( 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and 1 rejection)

DAT fee: 170 + 170 ( I missed my scheduled date so I had to pay the fee again) = $340
ADDSAS: ~ $450 - $150( fee assistance) = $300
travel expense: ~$0+$300+$100= $400
KAPLAN: $45 for the book
Total: $1085

GETTING IN... PRICELESS :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm easily going to hit the $6k mark...I'm going to place deposits at 2 schools. Interviewed (flying) at 6 schools thus far. No Kaplan prep class.

I am fortunate enough to have parents who can pay...I think it is a horrible amount of money and I find it unfair for those who don't have parents willing or able to shell out this kind of money!

Anyone know if people accepted can ask for ADDITIONAL student loan money when they matriculate to pay off the credit card debt that has accumulated just from applying?? Loans have better interest than credit cards!

"...Anyone know if people accepted can ask for ADDITIONAL student loan money when they matriculate to pay off the credit card debt that has accumulated just from applying?? Loans have better interest than credit cards!"

That is a possibility, my friend bought a Toyota Corolla this past Spring semester, and started D-School in August. For more info, I am going to ask current D-1s

That is a possibility, my friend bought a Toyota Corolla this past Spring semester, and started D-School in August. I think they take into account all of your debts, sounds sweet?

lol, I don't view that as a positive thing. I bet people can get way over their head. But yeah, if it helps a student make ends meet then that's great. But hopefully the financial aid office keeps tabs on student spending if the student can't do it themself.

I'm easily going to hit the $6k mark...I'm going to place deposits at 2 schools. Interviewed (flying) at 6 schools thus far. No Kaplan prep class.

I am fortunate enough to have parents who can pay...I think it is a horrible amount of money and I find it unfair for those who don't have parents willing or able to shell out this kind of money!

Anyone know if people accepted can ask for ADDITIONAL student loan money when they matriculate to pay off the credit card debt that has accumulated just from applying?? Loans have better interest than credit cards!

It rarely happens. They don't usually budget for any consumer debt at all. They do reimburse for moving and computer purchase, also they do budget for car repairs instead of car payments. :thumbup:

i dont even know how much it has been but i would say to those applyng next cycle becareful and dont get crazy when picking how many schools you aply to.....you should only pick schools you are seriously interested in because when it comes to secondary fees and apps you wont put your heart into it and it will be a waste

Unfair? :laugh: Thanks for rubbing it in. Daddy where are you dammit.

No one calculated all the time you spent studying for the DAT and going to interviews instead of working. I figure I lost over 2 grand just in time off work. And I'm just a waitress...

DAT prep: $50 Kaplan
DAT Fee: $290
AADSAS Fee:$885
Secondary Fees: $600
Travel: 3 flights $715
Lodging: $113
Food, Transportation, Misc: $500

Total: $3153

No one calculated all the time you spent studying for the DAT and going to interviews instead of working. I figure I lost over 2 grand just in time off work. And I'm just a waitress...

Good point.

I did not add the cost of food while studying for the DATs I must have ate everyday from Wendy's, or from BK Lounge.

let's see...

DAT prep material= $300
DAT= $175
Sending DAT Scores two years in a row= $150

Application to D-school Round 1
Application to 9 schools w/ secondaries = $1000 or so
Travel to 3 interviews= $600

Application to D-school Round 2
Application to 14 schools and secondaries = $1500 or so
Travel to 4 interviews = $1500 (flights will kill you)

That puts me at just over $5000 and only $2000 is still on my credit card! I tried getting additional loans and they said, "NO!" sucks for me, but hey, i'm in!!!!!!!!!! next time uga asks me for money, guess which finger i'll show 'em!

let's see...

DAT prep material= $300
DAT= $175
Sending DAT Scores two years in a row= $150

Application to D-school Round 1
Application to 9 schools w/ secondaries = $1000 or so
Travel to 3 interviews= $600

Application to D-school Round 2
Application to 14 schools and secondaries = $1500 or so
Travel to 4 interviews = $1500 (flights will kill you)

That puts me at just over $5000 and only $2000 is still on my credit card! I tried getting additional loans and they said, "NO!" sucks for me, but hey, i'm in!!!!!!!!!! next time uga asks me for money, guess which finger i'll show 'em!

:eek:

but congrats, :thumbup: :thumbup:

what schools if you don't mind?

7 schools

Kaplan: 1100
DAT Fee: 200
AADSAS: 555
Application Fees for individual schools: 369
Traveling Expenses: ~1000
Deposits on 3 schools: 1500

TOTAL: $5,664

Receiving 5 acceptances by Dec 1st and having the bitter sweet option to choose where I want to study....PRICELESS :D

sweet, well worth the money!

This application cycle put me back about $3g's... so future applicants be smart in where you apply, in regards to where you think you can get in, and of course where u WANT to go... Don't be an idiot like me and waste your money on schools like UCSF and UCLA when you only have a 3.0. lol, but as for acceptances... definitely PRICELESS!

DAT prep: $50 Kaplan
DAT Fee: $290
AADSAS Fee:$885
Secondary Fees: $600
Travel: 3 flights $715
Lodging: $113
Food, Transportation, Misc: $500

Total: $3153

Lets throw in the 1st and 2nd deposit of $750, to the dental school I am attending
Deposit: $1500

Total $4653

i only sent in a deposit to 1 school. so i am not holding multiple spots.

kaplan class 1300 dollars, the things they give you its very helpful but the class isn't. The books and online practice test :thumbup: ! but the actual class:thumbdown:
so you are paiding 1300 for the books and online practice test! :)

I hope those $1000 Kaplan classes are really worth it...

AADSAS application: $1150
DAT study guide: $35
DAT: $600 (I think)
Official transcripts: $80
Interviews (travel, lodging, etc.): $1200
Deposit to school 1 (withdrew later): $500
Deposits to school 2: $1500

Total: $5,065

Upcoming expenses (new computer, moving, giving up my current salary, etc.): $$$

I applied to six schools all close to home, so no flight needed. So my expenses for this cycle was:
AADSAS 510.00
Suppemental fees 379.00
Kaplan Class 1300.00
Travel-350.00
DAT fee-175

Total=2714.00

The sad thing is I didn't get into ANY SCHOOLS!! I got waitlisted to one and thats it...:( :( :(

I wonder how MUCH $$ I should put out for this coming cycle??????????
(a friend of mine apply to ONE school and got into that ONE school!! I am so jealous!)

I spent about 6 grand on applying and all that. then an additional 6 grand on deposits, i need to make a decision!

for last year, it was at least 700 or 800. I didn't have travel expenses since my only interview was right down the street.

This year:

AADSAS (12 schools): 855
secondary fees: 750
DAT scores (13 schools): 325
misc fees: 100 (postage and stuff

total so far: $2030

I applied to six schools all close to home, so no flight needed. So my expenses for this cycle was:
AADSAS 510.00
Suppemental fees 379.00
Kaplan Class 1300.00
Travel-350.00
DAT fee-175

Total=2714.00

The sad thing is I didn't get into ANY SCHOOLS!! I got waitlisted to one and thats it...:( :( :(

I wonder how MUCH $$ I should put out for this coming cycle??????????
(a friend of mine apply to ONE school and got into that ONE school!! I am so jealous!)

did you know why you didn't get it? what were your DAT scores and GPA?? if you don't mind me asking... hehe

gl!! hope you get the waitlist spot!

This is not EXACT, but close enough:

AADSAS = 550 (7 schools)
DAT = 200
DAT Review = 850
Secondary Fees = 280
Interview Attire = 1000
Travel = 400 (Stayed with friends/family whenever possible)
Alcohol = 200

TOTAL = 3480

Good Luck to the next wave!

AADSAS (15 schools) ~ $1,100
Secondary Fees (13 schools) ~ $845
DAT Prep (Kaplan Online, books, topscore, dat achiever) ~ $900
DAT ~$200
Flights for interviews ~ $850
Accommodations ~ $300
Deposit ~ $1500

TOTAL: ~ $5695

Debt for D-School: $295,000 + :banana:

I was wondering, why does the cost of DAT tests vary?

I was wondering, why does the cost of DAT tests vary?

It depends on how may schools you send your scores to...

Kaplan: $1300
Destroyer: $150
Topscore and Achiever: $100
DAT:$190
Rescheduling Fee: $25
TMDSAS: $75 (3 schools)
Interview outfit: $100
Traveling: $200 (gas/hotel)

Total: $2140

If I had to do it all over again, I would drop the Kaplan course and go for just the online materials.

Kaplan on line 1K
All my other dat prep, destroyer,odyssey,Barron's,cliffs,schuams,crack dat math,crackdatpat, topscore,achiever ($700+ I had way too much stuff started getting this stuff about a year too soon never even got to some of it)
aadsas 2100+
Dat 900+
Dat retake 300+ not retaking as I received 7 interviews and counting with my first scores. So not bad
Flights-two down five to go expected outlay 1700 although this should go down as friends and family start giving me their "miles"
Hotels 1200
rental cars 500
Supplemental fees 1800 +
postage 60+

Holly crap over K. I had no idea until I just did this. I made the mistake of under estimating my scores and overall strength of my application. This is why I applied to 33 schools. It was tough with all the same questions. A lot of cutting and pasting. I will get in this cycle though. I'm 29 and close to 30. I didn't want to take any chances. Goal of being a dentist first. School second.

bump! :D

numbers for 2010-2011?