General Admissions & OTCAS Cost versus Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PuppyloverOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this idea is posted all over the site, but I was hoping to get some more input on the subject.

It seems as though every single person I ask tells me to choose the cheapest school. That makes me wonder... why do other programs cost more and why are other programs more competitive? Does the name and "ranking" or "status" truly not matter? I heard the same argument about undergraduate schools as well...stick to the cheaper option. I will admit that I know some people who have great jobs from cheaper less known schools and some with worse jobs from great schools, but overall it seems that (at least in my social network) the name of undergraduate school did benefit the person.

I'm wondering if perhaps the school did not matter before but if will more in the future due to changes in healthcare and the profession.

Those of you who chose the more expensive or prestigious programs, what is your rationale? I'm stuck between a very well known doctorate program (yes, I know doctorates cost more... I applied because the program is awesome... not necessarily for the doctorate) and a less known and cheaper master's program. I'm also on the waitlist for an expensive master's program so I'm more so concerned with ranking and cost than MOT vs. OTD.

Thank you for who ever has input :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am very curious about this as well. I am leaning towards the cheaper option now because my rationale is that I will be a practicing clinician regardless of where I receive the degree. At the same time, is there any added benefit of attending a higher ranked / more expensive option?

If I had to decide I would make a pro/con list of each program I applied to and compare the to each other. Basically I would wanna see if what each program is offering is worth the cost. You would want to attend a program that would help you achieve your goals as an OT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I started making lists of schools by state and their tuition. If there is a reason aside from tuition that I want to go there, I make a note of it. The time I have to do the research is sporadic. Anyone further along in research know good low cost schools? The only ones in my state I can afford are CSUDH (very comprehensive program but I don’t have a chance in hell of getting in) and SJSU (which I will definitely apply at). I started looking at other states but it’s starting to look like more student loans (I still owe from my last MS). I need to find schools that look at overall GPA rather than only undergrad. Any suggestions?

Status and cost really depends on what the program has to offer. I was admitted to 4 different programs. Three of them were masters and the other one was a doctorate program. What I did was look at the program and see what they had to offer. One of the school was a hybrid, which meant some of the classes were taught online (wasn't my style). I ruled that one out. The doctorate program was a prestigious private school but i turned it down as the tuition cost out weighed what I would be bringing in after graduation. So ultimately, I chose a school that fit my learning style and was of moderate cost.
Once you're out in the field, your patients don't care. What they do care is your ability to provide an intervention to meet their needs. If cost is not an issue, choose which ever one you think would benefit you.

Cost is relative to whether it's public vs private and the state. Economics, not prestige. TWU is a top tiered school, but it's also one of the cheapest ($30k). Why? Texas has the lowest cost of living and everything else here is cheap as well. Ironically, Texas is second to Nevada for the highest OT salary. New York tuition, in comparison, would be outrageous to any native Texan. It's easier to get into private schools because fewer want to attend due to the cost, and they typically cost considerably more to attend due to the ease of acceptance. Tuition cost is not correlated with education quality. If it were, people who spent 4x more for the same education should be getting paid more...and that's not the case. It doesn't make sound financial sense to spend $100k+ to make $60-70k upon graduating. And that's not even considering the undergraduate debt. I feel people who are justifying this, are super young and don't understand finances yet, or they live in a high cost of living state and don't have anything to compare it to. This is their normal. Want a cheaper education? Go to a cheaper state and avoid private schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users