Cost vs. Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquigglyQ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I look at the schools I am accepted to versus on the waitlist, this seems to be the biggest decision in where to go.

Would about 50 points in medical school rankings justify paying an extra $100,000 in loans before interest?

Top 30's vs. mid to low 80's?

I have almost no idea where I want to practice and what I want to specialize in.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what schools you're talking about, but I would look less at rankings and more at opportunities. Does the better ranked school offer more of what you're interested in? Doesn't have to be specialization specific, think more broadly, like research, public health, or earlier clinical exposure.Typically, higher ranked schools have a bit more opportunities to customize your education, but not always. Are they in cities you could see yourself living in? Closer to family? I think there are a lot of things that could influence your decision besides rankings. At the end of the day, $100,000 is a lot of money, but not so much on an attending salary that I would quickly eliminate any school based upon cost alone.

Look at residency programs. And be honest about interests. Is landing derm ortho nysg optho or academic medicine in the cards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really tough to say without naming the schools - sorry!

But your question is valid and a reasonable issue for ANYONE to ask opinions on. Neither school will judge you for asking, so do tell. So long as YOU personally say nothing negative about either school you'll be fine.

I ended up picking the cheaper option- Eastern Virginia Medical School. I won't name the higher one for the small risk of catching FOMO if people start telling me how great it is. I just assumed I did not want to be an academic doctor, surgeon, etc. I want to be a small town doctor in an underserved area with good loan repayment and pension. The other school is also majority Ivy League and elite school students, so I wanted a class more my league. EVMS has free counseling, yoga on the beach, some familiar faces, and a strong desire to make students succeed so the entire institution gets a higher ranking eventually. It felt right.

Really tough to say without naming the schools - sorry!

But your question is valid and a reasonable issue for ANYONE to ask opinions on. Neither school will judge you for asking, so do tell. So long as YOU personally say nothing negative about either school you'll be fine.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I ended up picking the cheaper option- Eastern Virginia Medical School. I won't name the higher one for the small risk of catching FOMO if people start telling me how great it is. I just assumed I did not want to be an academic doctor, surgeon, etc. I want to be a small town doctor in an underserved area with good loan repayment and pension. The other school is also majority Ivy League and elite school students, so I wanted a class more my league. EVMS has free counseling, yoga on the beach, some familiar faces, and a strong desire to make students succeed so the entire institution gets a higher ranking eventually. It felt right.

This was a good decision and seems like the right fit for you. Sorry I did not respond to your message quickly but I’m glad you have made a decision and you have reason to feel confident about making the right choice.

Reactions: 1 user