1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Costa Rica Spanish Immersion

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by EMNewbie, Mar 4, 2007.

1. EMNewbie

Medical Student
    Hey guys, I am interested in doing a month long spanish immersion elective next year, and I really think that I would like to go to Costa Rica. I am mostly interested in a language-oriented program, but if there is some clinical component, that would be ok too. If you guys have information on any good programs I would appreciate it!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Oluchi

Oluchi Desperate Atlanta PreMed
    5+ Year Member

You should look up Pop-Wuj...its an immersion prog in Guatemala I think....i hear its an EXCELLENT program!

4. FlyinBryan

5+ Year Member

Never been to Costa Rica, but I can attest to the quality of some schools in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala although my info. is a little dated (ca. 2001)

CBA- Centro Bilingua Amerindia: small school (10 ish students at a time) good staff; if it's still around. The owner, Hugo, is a heck of a nice guy who would give you the shirt off his back, if asked. The typical format is one-on-one tutoring with a native speaker who will tailor his/her lessons to your needs--if you want 4 hours of grammar a day, they can do that. If you want to go to the cafe and chat, they'll do that too.

Casa Xelaju--much larger spanish school (sometimes 80 students) quality of the teachers varies from great to just so-so.

Again, this info. is dated, and I'm not so sure what the security situation is like these days in Guate.