General Admissions & OTCAS COTA vs MOT...Low Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tynkerbelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

This is my first post, but I've been following the OT threads here for a while.

Okay, so by May 2015 I will have my B.A. in Psychology/Sociology. When I transferred to my current school I was intending to study social work, but after being introduced to the OT profession, I knew it would be the career for me.Unfortunately, due to different circumstances, by the time I graduate my overall GPA will probably be a 2.9 or if I'm lucky a 3.0. My first 31 credits are the grades that are messing me up, but my last 2-3 years of study have been good B's to A's.

I still have to take A+P, Chem, and Physics and my current pre-req gpa averages 3.0-3.3 depending on the school.

So, question is should I take my pre-reqs and try to get into a Masters program or should I just start out with the COTA program at a local community college? I just hate to already have a bachelors to go back and get another associate (previous one is in liberal arts), but I know my grades are probably not competitive enough. I'm not sure what to do ...HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,

This is my first post, but I've been following the OT threads here for a while.

Okay, so by May 2015 I will have my B.A. in Psychology/Sociology. When I transferred to my current school I was intending to study social work, but after being introduced to the OT profession, I knew it would be the career for me.Unfortunately, due to different circumstances, by the time I graduate my overall GPA will probably be a 2.9 or if I'm lucky a 3.0. My first 31 credits are the grades that are messing me up, but my last 2-3 years of study have been good B's to A's.

I still have to take A+P, Chem, and Physics and my current pre-req gpa averages 3.0-3.3 depending on the school.

So, question is should I take my pre-reqs and try to get into a Masters program or should I just start out with the COTA program at a local community college? I just hate to already have a bachelors to go back and get another associate (previous one is in liberal arts), but I know my grades are probably not competitive enough. I'm not sure what to do ...HELP!!!

There have been a few people with stats similar to yours posting that they've been accepted somewhere. I wouldn't give it up if I were you. My GPA isn't that low but I was also having the OT/COTA debate, and I've decided to just go for the MOT! Something that can help you is if you get a good score on the GRE. You could also stand out with strong extracurricular activities and your shadowing/volunteer experiences can also make you a stronger applicant. I would also recommend searching for schools who don't have as tough of GPA requirements to get in as well as schools that don't receive as many applicants as most do. (Sorry I couldn't tell you specifics, but if you do some research you can find these stats.) Also, work to get all A's on the rest of your prereqs. If you apply and don't get in the first time, then take some more classes at a community college to boost your GPA and continue to add to your volunteer experience. Don't give up on your dream!

I agree with ColorGuardLove. I have a low GPA-3.2. I know it meets the minimum but it didn't get me in last year. When I called the school and asked them what I should do, they said I should try to get a 5-6 on the AWA GRE because it will balance out my application and help me stand out. Call some schools that you think you might apply to and ask them. Tell them your situation and ask what they recommend. Some of my family members are pushing me to go the COTA route too, but I have a BA in History and an MA in Education, so I don't really want to get an associates, either. Talk to admissions. They are there to help you and should give you some direction. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ColorGuardLove and DaisyMama!!! I appreciate the confidence and the tips. I will definitely contact admissions.

I should also mention that I'm not in place where I can just keep taking classes and applying to programs, not get in and then take more classes. I don't want to use the little I have to do my pre reqs and then not get into a ot program and then have to go the COTA route anyway and then eventually move on to a ot program. I realize that I will be an OT, it's just the route to get there.

This decision is so difficult.

Also, any COTA programs in NYC I can look into?

I wish you the best in your education journey.....I would hate for you to already have your masters and then have to go back and get an associates but in reality I'm seeing it a lot nowadays.
I agree with ColorGuardLove. I have a low GPA-3.2. I know it meets the minimum but it didn't get me in last year. When I called the school and asked them what I should do, they said I should try to get a 5-6 on the AWA GRE because it will balance out my application and help me stand out. Call some schools that you think you might apply to and ask them. Tell them your situation and ask what they recommend. Some of my family members are pushing me to go the COTA route too, but I have a BA in History and an MA in Education, so I don't really want to get an associates, either. Talk to admissions. They are there to help you and should give you some direction. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat as you! I just graduated with a 3.0 last May with my BS in Allied Health, I applied to a few schools last year and didn't get in, I knew it was because I didn't have as much OT experience as others and my grades weren't the best. I was going to retake a few prereqs but I don't know how worth it is and it probably won't do much for my GPA. My grades have been all over the place so I don't have much of an excuse or I couldn't rely on my last 60 credits. I've been looking at OTA school here: http://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/Find-School/AccreditEntryLevel/OTAPrograms.aspx

As much as I would like to get a Masters Degree, OTA is a much more affordable and convenient option and once I become a COTA, there are possibilities that an employer could help pay for the masters in OT. Many people have taken this route. It's not considered a bad thing. If I were to go for my MOT I'd need at least another year or 2 to beef up my application and retake classes and the schools will probably get even more competetive by then is my concern.

We've been through this a lot on here. My advice is strongly in favor of you applying to schools that ONLY consider your last 60 hours. I had some family issues as an undergrad which caused me to get a low GPA, I was smart and hard working but I became engulfed in them. Whatever your GPA is I am sure mine was lower.

I contacted *every* single AOTA approved program and asked if they would consider my application. I applied to every program that said yes, and most were the ones that only considered your last 60 hours. I took 70 credit hours at my very cheap community college and nearly had a 4.0 in these pre-reqs and additional course that made me a solid applicant. I had excellent references and multiple shadowing experiences.

If you are truly determined and willing to do what it takes to get in (1-2 yrs of courses) then, yes, you can get into your MOT program. If you are geographically tied down to one area only, and you don't want to take these courses, then I suggest you get your COTA.

What schools did you apply to?

OT is probably going to an OTD degree in the next 10 years according to my professors. I wouldn't count on there being an easy COTA->OTR pathway at that point.