could a convicted murderer get accepted to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brianbellau

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone who had a murder charge and served his time and released ever have a chance to get into medical schools? Or would the adcoms drop his application as soon as they read it?

What if it was manslaughter? (Running over a child by accident and killing them) if it wasn't their intent to murder, would that make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What were his EC's like in prison?

Reactions: 71 users
What were his EC's like in prison?
I think if you really showed your altruism by volunteering in the library, and as the village bicycle, while supplementing with shadowing the prison doc you could perhaps get some sympathy from adcoms leading to them considering your app. But doing all of that may be tough to swallow.

This is probably the best troll thread I've seen in a long time. My hat is off to you good sir

Reactions: 1 users
I think if you really showed your altruism by volunteering in the library, and as the village bicycle, while supplementing with shadowing the prison doc you could perhaps get some sympathy from adcoms leading to them considering your app. But doing all of that may be tough to swallow.

I'm sure after his prison stint his swallowing capabilities will be more than enough :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, at least I didn't catch anything FROM the village bicycle. I like to use the restroom without screaming in pain TYVM.

Slayings have caused college admissions offers to be rescinded in the past:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/08/us/woman-who-killed-mother-denied-harvard-admission.html
I know it's not medical school, but still interesting.

That's a very interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

Even though this doesn't have to do with killing people, there is a heroin addict who graduated medical school. http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/06/among_oregon_health_science_un.html

Many perceive her to be a hero. My guess is that she wasn't arrested. Yet, if she were arrested and made a thread on SDN asking about her chances, she'd either be called a troll or told to quit the medical school admissions process. Interesting double standard isn't it?

Not as long as I'm on the AdCom.

Could someone who had a murder charge and served his time and released ever have a chance to get into medical schools? Or would the adcoms drop his application as soon as they read it?

What if it was manslaughter? (Running over a child by accident and killing them) if it wasn't their intent to murder, would that make a difference?

Reactions: 2 users

I've heard adcoms are very sympathetic to affluenza, OP, so you might be ok.

Reactions: 8 users
Wat.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I think there was a convicted murderer that got into law school a while back. I think it was at Tulane, but I could be wrong.

Fun fact: most service dogs are trained by prisoners. Many non-prisoners will raise puppies and socialize the dogs over weekends so they can experience environments other than prison, but the actual training is usually done by prisoners. It's the type of cute volunteering that helps prisoners look good on their parole applications ;)

Not sure they let murderers participate though...wouldn't want them to train up an attach dog after all :D

Well it would make writing the diversity essays pretty simple.

Yes, all they have to do is change their name, duh.

Maybe this could fly if you inadvertently ran over a child who was guiding an elderly person carrying a large bag of groceries.

Fun fact: most service dogs are trained by prisoners. Many non-prisoners will raise puppies and socialize the dogs over weekends so they can experience environments other than prison, but the actual training is usually done by prisoners. It's the type of cute volunteering that helps prisoners look good on their parole applications ;)

Not sure they let murderers participate though...wouldn't want them to train up an attach dog after all :D
I would think it'd be more 'murderers have less incentive to do cutesy volunteering if they're not up for parole anytime soon'. If the concern were about training attack dogs they wouldn't let ANYone train them.

what if you say " i wanted to kill him painlessly, before the caner destroyed his life"

I think there was a convicted murderer that got into law school a while back. I think it was at Tulane, but I could be wrong.

There have been several who have gotten into law school, but the difference is that unlike medicine, law schools don't act as the gatekeeper of their profession -- these guys generally don't pass the character portion of the bar exam. A law school is more than happy to take their $ in a futile journey.

There have been several who have gotten into law school, but the difference is that unlike medicine, law schools don't act as the gatekeeper of their profession -- these guys generally don't pass the character portion of the bar exam. A law school is more than happy to take their $ in a futile journey.

I can see third and fourth tier schools doing that (since I've heard the worst things about them in blogs and other mediums), but a school like Tulane?!

Theres always the Caribbean..

I'm sure there are many dentists who are secretly murderers as well, or so pop culture tells me :bored:

Not sure they let murderers participate though...wouldn't want them to train up an attach dog after all :D[/quote]

That might be a good idea though.

In all seriousness, you can't operate an ambulance or be an EMT-B as a convicted felon. So I seriously doubt you could get a medical license.

If you plan to get into medical school first and then become a convicted murderer while a med student, I suggest you apply to Boston University SOM, because several students have taken that path already.

In all seriousness, you can't operate an ambulance or be an EMT-B as a convicted felon. So I seriously doubt you could get a medical license.

If you plan to get into medical school first and then become a convicted murderer while a med student, I suggest you apply to Boston University SOM, because several students have taken that path already.

Not to derail, but has BU really had multiple students who have murdered people? I have only heard of the Craigslist Killer. I mean, one is probably enough, but I'm curious to know if you are aware of any others.

You're gonna have to see a lot of patients die, maybe even be the cause of some of those deaths (source: "Scrubs"), maybe you can spin this whole murder thing in a positive light? Make sure you tell them what you learned from it all