Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Could I get a spot?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by me109cito, Nov 22, 2002.

1. me109cito

me109cito Membership Revoked
    Removed

I go to a "top 10" (according to the US News ****** report) MD school and I am in in the bottom 1/3 of the class. I am interested in rays and I would like to know what I could do to improve my chances of matching into a rads program. I have no geographic preference nor am I concerned about tier/prestige of the program. I have not yet began my clinical rotations and I will take step 1 this coming summer. What can I do in order to improve my chances? Any suggestions are welcomed.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bigler

bigler Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't begin to sweat things too much right now-its still early for you. The thing you really need to work on is your Step score coming up--if you ace it, you're class rank won't be as big of a factor. Also, try to get in good w/some of the radiologists now so that they know you're interested and you may get a great letter from them in the future.

In short, rads is pretty compettetive now but its still possible to match especially if you have no preference where you want to go. But things may change by the time you'll be going through the whole process.

4. bat21

bat21 Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the above post. It does help coming from a top tier med sch. Just work on your STEP. But keep an open mind. Most people don't make up their minds about specialty until the senior year.