Could I get in anywhere? Feeling so hopeless...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I felt like I had a fighters chance to get into a DO School (at least 1)

However, today my professor told me that he would not write a letter of recommendation for me after seeing my transcript. I got an A in his class though. He told me he would have wrote it if he knew me better.

I did not do well my first two years, but this past year I had an increase in my GPA.

I have a 3.05 GPA and a 2.8 science, but I thought my MCAT in August would have been able to help overcome it. Now I feel as though no matter how hard I study, it won't matter because I won't get in anyway. I mean, if a professor says I'm not good enough, what will an actual medical school say?

I have two questions:

1. Could I get in ANYWHERE (in the US) with these grades? Doesn't matter which school...

2. If yes, what would my MCAT score and extracurriculars have to look like?

I'm aware that a gap year or a SMP are good options, but please answer the questions first.

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, unlikely without a very compelling story or absolutely phenomenal extracurriculars. A very, very strong MCAT score might provide some opportunity but be realistic on whether you're capable of scoring a 35+. Most people will advise using your money to instead retake your F, D, C coursework and building your application.

Reactions: 1 users
The 2.8 sGPA is concerning. I would do some re-takes to repair that a bit before applying.

1) As it is, it's possible but quite improbable.
2) The equivalent of mid-to-high 30s (34+) might make your GPA palatable at some schools. Not at mine or most of the established schools, but some. You would want all the bells and whistles when it comes to ECs (research, clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, leadership, etc.).

Suggestions for you:
1) It sounds like your letters are not going to be anything special if they consist solely of people who gave you an "A" in one class. Make sure you have really strong letters from people who know you well.
2) Re-take a few science classes to get that sGPA to at least a 3.0... preferably a 3.2 or 3.3.

Do you honestly think you're ready for medical school with your current performance? What has your recent upward trend looked like as far as numbers? Though it sounds like the professor was a bit harsh, I have to admit that I agree with him in his assessment (on the face of it). When he puts his name on the line recommending you for medical school, it's difficult if your past performance is incongruous with his class. If he doesn't know you beyond the class, it's difficult to generalize your performance into a letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The 2.8 sGPA is concerning. I would do some re-takes to repair that a bit before applying.

2) The equivalent of mid-to-high 30s (34+) might make your GPA palatable at some schools. Not at mine or most of the established schools, but some. You would want all the bells and whistles when it comes to ECs (research, clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, leadership, etc.).

Suggestions for you:
1) It sounds like your letters are not going to be anything special if they consist solely of people who gave you an "A" in one class. Make sure you have really strong letters.
2) Re-take a few science classes to get that sGPA to at least a 3.0... preferably a 3.2 or 3.3.

Do you honestly think you're ready for medical school with your current performance? What has your recent upward trend looked like as far as numbers?

In May 2014, I was in a bad place: I had an overall of 2.93 and a science of 2.7.

I'm up to 3.05 overall and 2.8 science. I understand that I will more than likely need another years worth of classes and retakes.

I punched in some numbers and I need a 3.83 to get my science GPA to a 3.0 with my remaining 15 possible BCPM credits. With retakes, that required GPA should decrease.

Without retakes, my overall GPA can only reach a 3.25 if I'm perfect from here on out.

Ah, I misunderstood and thought you already finished undergrad. So you have a full year left?

If you can do a couple re-takes this summer and demonstrate a strong performance over the next year you might be in a much better place.

Suggestions for you:
1) It sounds like your letters are not going to be anything special if they consist solely of people who gave you an "A" in one class. Make sure you have really strong letters from people who know you well.

Do you honestly think you're ready for medical school with your current performance? What has your recent upward trend looked like as far as numbers? Though it sounds like the professor was a bit harsh, I have to admit that I agree with him in his assessment (on the face of it). When he puts his name on the line recommending you for medical school, it's difficult if your past performance is incongruous with his class. If he doesn't know you beyond the class, it's difficult to generalize your performance into a letter.

He said he would write one for an SMP Program, but not for med school. I understand his reasoning, but isn't it my job to worry about if a letter is generic or really supportive?

He said he didn't want to write me one unless it was really supportive, which I didn't really understand. I knew him for 2 years, too, but not on a personal level. The worst thing is, he moved to a different school recently so I can't even go talk to him in person.

@doctor in da makin

That changes things! If you knock out this next year, you should be gold. I advise planning a gap year just because everyone I have talked with regrets not taking one or is happy that they did. Focus on your academics, get As, score a 30+, try to get a clinical position should you take a gap year, and demonstrate a commitment to volunteerism during this time and you should be just fine.

Ah, I misunderstood and thought you already finished undergrad. So you have a full year left?

If you can do a couple re-takes this summer and demonstrate a strong performance over the next year you might be in a much better place.

Yes, I have a full year left but I wanted to apply this summer.

My upward trend wasn't good enough, right?

I know my final GPA won't be great no matter what, but I'm hoping another upward year will look good (despite the subpar GPA) Agreed?

@doctor in da makin

That changes things! If you knock out this next year, you should be gold. I advise planning a gap year just because everyone I have talked with regrets not taking one or is happy that they did. Focus on your academics, get As, score a 30+, try to get a clinical position should you take a gap year, and demonstrate a commitment to volunteerism during this time and you should be just fine.
Your comment just gave me an instant moment of hope.

I didn't want to take a gap year, but I guess I have no choice at this point. Its going to be hard to see all my friends in their white coats while I'm still volunteering during my gap year. Just will have to suck it up.

When you say" knockout next year", what ideally should my GPA be? (because a 4.0 is possible but extremely unlikely)

He said he would write one for an SMP Program, but not for med school. I understand his reasoning, but isn't it my job to worry about if a letter is generic or really supportive?

He said he didn't want to write me one unless it was really supportive, which I didn't really understand. I knew him for 2 years, too, but not on a personal level. The worst thing is, he moved to a different school recently so I can't even go talk to him in person.
Yes, it's mostly your job to worry about how good a prospective letter might be. But, since you likely will never see the letters written for you, he is being courteous enough to tell you that he doesn't have enough information to write a letter that is anything beyond generic... or isn't confident in saying that you are an excellent candidate who will excel in medical school. This is preferable to having him write you a letter that is totally generic/mediocre and drags down your application without you knowing.

Yes, I have a full year left but I wanted to apply this summer.

My upward trend wasn't good enough, right?

I know my final GPA won't be great no matter what, but I'm hoping another upward year will look good (despite the subpar GPA) Agreed?
The upward direction is good, and hopefully will continue over the next year. I would caution that applying this year may be an expensive exercise that may net you nothing. If you have time and money to burn, go for it. Otherwise, I would delay a year. Do well in your next academic year, take a few re-takes next spring/summer after graduation, and you could be in a good spot to apply. :) I took three years off. It is something of an annoyance to see my friends as residents now... but I think about all the great things I accomplished in my time off and definitely see it as having been a good move.

Even if you trend up, they'll only see and consider the classes you've finished, so they probably won't get to see your senior year grades.

I think it's pretty much all been said. If you can explain why your GPA was low for a semester or a year, then it's possible. But having a cumulative of 3.0 or below typically infers that it's a trend and not just a one time thing. You've still got time to fix it, so don't get too down on yourself, but you're going to have to put some real work in. Retake some classes to pull your science up to a 3.25. If you have to then do an SMP and get at least a 3.75. Basically you need to show med schools you're capable of handling graduate level classes. From your current GPA, they'll get the impression that you aren't ready or just can't handle it.

I think DO will be a better route for you as well. AACOMAS lets you do grade replacement while AMCAS does not, so your GPA will be significantly higher on your DO applications (assuming you retake classes and do well).

@doctor in da makin

Remember that there's more to life than pursuing a career in medicine! Benefits of a gap year include taking some time to really mature, explore your interests, take some time off so that you don't burn out

Yes, it's mostly your job to worry about how good a prospective letter might be. But, since you likely will never see the letters written for you, he is being courteous enough to tell you that he doesn't have enough information to write a letter that is anything beyond generic. This is preferable to having him write you a letter that is totally generic and drags down your application without you knowing.

The upward direction is good, and hopefully will continue over the next year. I would caution that applying this year may be an expensive exercise that may net you nothing. If you have time and money to burn, go for it. Otherwise, I would delay a year. Do well in your next academic year, take a few re-takes next spring/summer after graduation, and you could be in a good spot to apply. :) I took three years off. It is something of an annoyance to see my friends as residents now... but I think about all the great things I accomplished in my time off and definitely see it as having been a good move.

He asked for an idea as to why I wanted to be a doctor, so I gave him page worth of stories and experiences. I'd like to agree with your comment about how he spared me the burden of a generic letter, but I think it was really my GPA that turned him off.

A couple more questions: Worst-case scenario- If I apply to every single DO school this year, which ones would actually look at my application, give me a secondary, and not throw it in the trash? As bad as I am, I just can't fathom the thought that I wouldn't even get one interview.

What should my GPA be next year to have a better chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you trend up, they'll only see and consider the classes you've finished, so they probably won't get to see your senior year grades.

I think it's pretty much all been said. If you can explain why your GPA was low for a semester or a year, then it's possible. But having a cumulative of 3.0 or below typically infers that it's a trend and not just a one time thing. You've still got time to fix it, so don't get too down on yourself, but you're going to have to put some real work in. Retake some classes to pull your science up to a 3.25. If you have to then do an SMP and get at least a 3.75. Basically you need to show med schools you're capable of handling graduate level classes. From your current GPA, they'll get the impression that you aren't ready or just can't handle it.

I think DO will be a better route for you as well. AACOMAS lets you do grade replacement while AMCAS does not, so your GPA will be significantly higher on your DO applications (assuming you retake classes and do well).

I asked johnamo already, but would every DO school reject me with these stats?

Btw, I read your comment in Zoidberg's voice

He asked for an idea as to why I wanted to be a doctor, so I gave him page worth of stories and experiences. I'd like to agree with your comment about how he spared me the burden of a generic letter, but I think it was really my GPA that turned him off.
Indeed. I actually edited my post in the time you were writing your response to include that idea. Your transcript likely made it difficult for him to use all the flowery and positive adjectives one expects in a good letter... but he could have talked about your motivation and such for a supportive SMP letter.
A couple more questions: Worst-case scenario- If I apply to every single DO school this year, which ones would actually look at my application, give me a secondary, and not throw it in the trash? As bad as I am, I just can't fathom the thought that I wouldn't even get one interview.
I'm not the best person to talk about school-specific stats, since I only know a lot about the numbers at my school. The venerable @Goro might be able to help you with a list... and/or use the search function. It is difficult to say without an MCAT score.
What should my GPA be next year to have a better chance?
You really want that sGPA over 3.0 (minimum). A few re-takes are crucial to doing that quickly/easily.

@doctor in da makin

Remember that there's more to life than pursuing a career in medicine! Benefits of a gap year include taking some time to really mature, explore your interests, take some time off so that you don't burn out

The thing about a gap year is like alot of people my age, that I've never had a year when I wasn't in school fulltime. After middle school, its High school. After HS, its college. After college.... a gap year?

It will be a very unique and enriching experience indeed.

This may be a dumb question, but are there any US schools (MD OR DO) that have year-round application cycles like the Caribbean does?

Maybe at LUCOM, but I can't recommend that. One good year is a trend, but not enough to convince Adcoms that you will survive med school.

1. Could I get in ANYWHERE (in the US) with these grades? Doesn't matter which school...

I'm aware that a gap year or a SMP are good options, but please answer the questions first.[/QUOTE]

@Goro gave this as a rough guide to DO sGPA cutoffs:

Top DO schools: 3.1-3.25
Newest schools: 2.75-2.9
All the rest: ~3.0

but with a nearly equally low cGPA and no MCAT it may not be so applicable.

Indeed. I actually edited my post in the time you were writing your response to include that idea. Your transcript likely made it difficult for him to use all the flowery and positive adjectives one expects in a good letter... but he could have talked about your motivation and such for a supportive SMP letter.

I'm not the best person to talk about school-specific stats, since I only know a lot about the numbers at my school. The venerable @Goro might be able to help you with a list... and/or use the search function. It is difficult to say without an MCAT score.

You really want that sGPA over 3.0 (minimum). A few re-takes are crucial to doing that quickly/easily.

He will be writing an SMP letter, thankfully. Goro previously told me that I would probably get a few secondaries and many rejections. But that is without an MCAT score as you said.

Is it really just the science GPA I need to get up?

What should I shoot for my overall GPA to be?

He will be writing an SMP letter, thankfully. Goro previously told me that I would probably get a few secondaries and many rejections. But that is without an MCAT score as you said.

Is it really just the science GPA I need to get up?

What should I shoot for my overall GPA to be?
1) No. But cGPA is somewhat secondary to sGPA. Who cares if you got a "C" in basket-weaving or art history?
2) As high as possible. ;)

Maybe at LUCOM, but I can't recommend that. One good year is a trend, but not enough to convince Adcoms that you will survive med school.

I'm aware that a gap year or a SMP are good options, but please answer the questions first.
[/QUOTE]

Would two years be enough to convince them you think?

And why wouldn't you recommend LUCOM?

@Goro gave this as a rough guide to DO sGPA cutoffs:

Top DO schools: 3.1-3.25
Newest schools: 2.75-2.9
All the rest: ~3.0

but with a nearly equally low cGPA and no MCAT it may not be so applicable.

Why so low for the newest schools?

Two year of A's should do it. And retake all F/D/C science coursework.

I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization.

Applicants are always leery of a new school. Too may unknowns. Hence, new schools can't be as selective as, say, CCOM.
Why so low for the newest schools?

Two year of A's should do it. And retake all F/D/C science coursework.

I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization.

Applicants are always leery of a new school. Too may unknowns. Hence, new schools can't be as selective as, say, CCOM.

@Goro is it more the amount of time with good grades or the amount of credit hours of good grades? Ex: stacking on lots of classes within a year to show improvement with retakes.

@Goro is it more the amount of time with good grades or the amount of credit hours of good grades? Ex: stacking on lots of classes within a year to show improvement with retakes.

I'm curious about this too. My freshman/soph GPAs were crap (2.8/2.3 freshman year and like 3.3/3.1 sophomore year). I have a 3.68/3.43 sci my junior year and I'm hoping to get a 4.0/4.0 (cGPA and sGPA) for my senior year in over 60 credits!

My overall would be a ~3.6ish/3.4ish. Is that still not good enough for DO schools?

Sorry to derail the thread. @Goro

Hopefully a combination of both. You want a bit of time to show that something has changed along with enough credits to show it's not a fluke. So 30-40 credits of good grades in upper-level science classes after doing poorly is enough to convince me that you know what you're doing.

Though of course I'm not the one you have to impress ;) and an actual faculty member like Goro may feel differently.

Hopefully a combination of both. You want a bit of time to show that something has changed along with enough credits to show it's not a fluke. So 30-40 credits of good grades in upper-level science classes after doing poorly is enough to convince me that you know what you're doing.

Though of course I'm not the one you have to impress ;) and an actual faculty member like Goro may feel differently.

How does a 3.68ish junior year and 4.0 senior year look? Ideally I know I should've tried to aim for straight As but well...

Question regarding grade replacement. How exactly does it work? Do committees see all your grades, but factor in the latest grade ( assuming you retook a PreReq, say you got a D in gen Chem 1 & 2 but A in subsequent repeats) into the calculation?

here is ur route to success.

retake classes. get to at least a 3.5 for afighting chance.

when u approach faculty u need to have a plan of attack. Don't just walk in and ask for a letter. Email the professors and ask for a sit down meeting specifically to discuss the possibilty of getting a letter. When you go to the meeting, drop off your personal statement, a CV, and a brief statement about how you have demonstrated a strong upward trend in GPA. finally, don't take it personally that faculty would not write you a LoR. b/c remember they have a reputation to maintain as well.

The answer is no. Nobody is going to take a 3.05/2.8 seriously. My suggestion is not to fall into magical thinking where you'll score a 40 and someone will accept you. Do the hard work necessary to get in by doing a post-bacc or an SMP.

I would strongly advice anyone to abstain from taking a ridiculous amount of units when you've had a history of poor grades just because you hope it'll get you in sooner. By the same token, taking 1 class a semester for 2 years won't get you anywhere. The key is balance and using the rest of your free time to pump your extracurriculars.

The answer is no. Nobody is going to take a 3.05/2.8 seriously. My suggestion is not to fall into magical thinking where you'll score a 40 and someone will accept you. Do the hard work necessary to get in by doing a post-bacc or an SMP.

I'm a junior. You don't think I could even get in if I applied in the next application cycle?

I fully expect to have at least a 3.1 overall and 3.0 science, but anything could happen.

I can only afford one B in my remaining 15 science courses to maintain the 3.0, assuming I don't retake anything (which I will)

I'm a junior. You don't think I could even get in if I applied in the next application cycle?

I fully expect to have at least a 3.1 overall and 3.0 science, but anything could happen.

I can only afford one B in my remaining 15 science courses to maintain the 3.0, assuming I don't retake anything (which I will)
I'd say very unlikely.

Yeah...I wouldn't give you a LOR. You have to understand that letter of recommendation is putting your reputation on the line, at as of this point, you have given very little assurance that you will make it in med school.

It doesn't appear that your letter writer is being unreasonable.

I would take the MCAT when ready and plan to get at least a score in the high 20s (new MCAT scoring equivalent). I would then do grade replacement and get your science GPA over 3.25. I am sure that if you bring these stats to your letter writer he/she would be more than happy to write the letter for you.

Yeah...I wouldn't give you a LOR. You have to understand that letter of recommendation is putting your reputation on the line, at as of this point, you have given very little assurance that you will make it in med school.

It doesn't appear that your letter writer is being unreasonable.

I would take the MCAT when ready and plan to get at least a score in the high 20s (new MCAT scoring equivalent). I would then do grade replacement and get your science GPA over 3.25. I am sure that if you bring these stats to your letter writer he/she would be more than happy to write the letter for you.

I know its a privilege, not a right to get a letter from a professor. But I have to admit I was taken back a bit by how he refused. Nothing I can do about it now, I'll have to move on.

This specific letter writer moved to a different state a few weeks ago, so if I do happen to ask him again next year and he accepts, will medical schools wonder why a professor from 1000 miles away wrote a letter for me?

One more thing, is it a big deal for DO schools if you can't get a committee letter, even if your school has one?

I know its a privilege, not a right to get a letter from a professor. But I have to admit I was taken back a bit by how he refused. Nothing I can do about it now, I'll have to move on.

This specific letter writer moved to a different state a few weeks ago, so if I do happen to ask him again next year and he accepts, will medical schools wonder why a professor from 1000 miles away wrote a letter for me?

One more thing, is it a big deal for DO schools if you can't get a committee letter, even if your school has one?
1) No, nobody will care that the professor is now at a different school.
2) DO schools seem to care less about circumventing a committee letter. The only school I know that explicitly prefers a committee letter is PCOM.

I got interviewed and immediately accepted with that GPA and a 30MCAT. That was 4 years ago though.

It's highly unlikely, but not impossible and not quite what I'd call "magical thinking" if the rest of the app is good enough.

I got interviewed and immediately accepted with that GPA and a 30MCAT. That was 4 years ago though.

It's highly unlikely, but not impossible and not quite what I'd call "magical thinking" if the rest of the app is good enough.
There are always exceptions, but you shouldn't rule yourself by them.

Get your science GPA to 3.0 to 3.3+
In the process retake any classes you got C's in your science class's (BCP) and that will help your overall cGPA to get over 3.2/3.3 and your science GPA around 3-3.3 .

I know it seems tough man, but just understand this is what you have to do to get a decent chance.

You got this !!!

Your comment just gave me an instant moment of hope.

I didn't want to take a gap year, but I guess I have no choice at this point. Its going to be hard to see all my friends in their white coats while I'm still volunteering during my gap year. Just will have to suck it up.

When you say" knockout next year", what ideally should my GPA be? (because a 4.0 is possible but extremely unlikely)

I took a gap year of AmeriCorps service, and then did a SMP program (which I probably didn't need to do with a 3.2 undergrad sGPA). I hardly noticed my buddies getting their white coats while I was doing my gap year because I was busy. Now that they're all moving on to residency I'm still not bummed about it. I wouldn't change a thing, even if I could do it all over. Gap year service looks GREAT on your application, and it gives you real life experience to talk about in your PS and secondary essays. The SMP program required me to take med school level courses, so I really feel like I'll have a leg up on my classmates who haven't taken graduate level physio and pharm. I only applied once and got into my school of choice. While I was going to interviews I felt like I was a much stronger applicant because I was more mature than many of the other applicants.

I haven't met a single person who regretted taking a gap year. Also, you can apply to schools while you're pursuing a SMP.

Where did you get in? And what were your ECs like?

Where did you get in? And what were your ECs like?

ATSU-SOMA

EC's were a highlight, I would call my EC portfolio elite. Did a lot of health policy for homeless. Did a summer on a hospital ship as a medic and also taught advanced first aid in Indonesia and East Timor. Did neurophysiology/Ethology research in undergrad. And that's just a sampling. My grades weren't awesome, I spent time doing EC's that should have been spent studying.

ATSU-SOMA

EC's were a highlight, I would call my EC portfolio elite. Did a lot of health policy for homeless. Did a summer on a hospital ship as a medic and also taught advanced first aid in Indonesia and East Timor. Did neurophysiology/Ethology research in undergrad. And that's just a sampling. My grades weren't awesome, I spent time doing EC's that should have been spent studying.
Did you take a couple of years off before applying?

DO schools do not count Math in the science GPA. Based on you mentioning BCPM (Bio, Chem, Phys, MATH) I just wanted to give you a heads up, so you're calculating your science GPA correctly.

I can't believe I didn't know this, thanks.

Does this mean DO schools don't accept LORs from math professors for the science letters then?

Many won't, and many won't count 'public health'/nutrition as science courses either. I know my school does not.

Would you be able to comment on which specific schools wouldn't do this? I thought each school uses the GPA that AACOMAS calculates which includes public health/nutrition/health. Do some schools come up with their own GPAs separate from AACOMAS when evaluating applicants?