Could I get into MD/DO/IMd 2021 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaylexx123

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I wanted some advice on whether or not you think I could get into medical school (whether US MD, IMD,DO, or Caribbean) for the 2021 cycle given my stats.

Stats:

gpa: 3.1

sGPA: 2.5

currently taking post bacc

lots of clinical and volunteer hours/ activities

So I am graduated this Spring 2020 from a top 20 university. My gpa was 3.1 overall and 2.5 sGPA. I have taken two post bacc science courses this summer receiving As in both. I plan on taking a post bacc this fall (either through my local college or Ucla Berkley online post bacc) {also advice on which post-bacc would be great too}. I am taking the Mcat in September. (for stat purpose say (504-507 mcat if that helps)

Concerns

I have debated many times but decided the beginning of the summer to just wait for the 2022 cycle to apply but am debating again, if I should just try or it would be a waste of time and money. I am looking to apply to MD schools that have the 32 hr policy or have history of taking students with post-bac. If I apply this cycle, I would also apply to some DO schools. I am hesitant with Carribean schools because of the stigma but if anyone has any pros for this option, lmk! In addition, I have applied to UQ-Ochsner program. Even though this is an international school, I hear it is regarded better than Carib schools and I like how it spends its final two years in the states. However, the tuition is $67k. I know there is loan forgiveness but with moving across the world, this will still be a lot whereas I could go to a state school and pay half and save on housing.

This being said I am trying to make the best decision for the long run. I know the UQ-O school is high but taking post-baccs are also high as well ( wouldn't need to with UQ). Also take into account I am not rich and cannot just live off family for two years. Thank you for reading this long essay!

Members don't see this ad.

1. We can’t predict anything without your MCAT but to my knowledge there isn’t a MD or DO school that will consider you with your GPAs. Especially your sGPA.
2. You haven’t said one word about ECs and where you are in those.
3. I suppose one of the Caribbean schools would accept you because they accept anyone with a pulse and a checkbook. But it would be a horrible for you to even attempt the Caribbean! Their business model is to accept all comers, collect your tuition for a few semesters and then fail you out. Leaving you several hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. If you happen not to fail out, only about 56% of grads match to a residency!
4. The average GPA for matriculating med students is 3.71 and goes up every year!
5. You will need to string together 3-4 semesters of full time upper level science with at least a 3.8+ GPA. You have to prove to ADCOMS that the you of now is vastly different than the you of the past. You have to prove that you are up to the rigors of med school. I don’t think you should even take the MCAT now. With a 2.5 sGPA I would think you have some serious gaps in your scientific knowledge. These gaps will impact your MCAT score. If you are serious about wanting to become a doctor then slow down and do it right. Take your time. Repair your GPAs, do great on the MCAT and get your ECs in order. Only when you have the best possible application possible should you apply! And even then there are no guarantees in this process!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone. I wanted some advice on whether or not you think I could get into medical school (whether US MD, IMD,DO, or Caribbean) for the 2021 cycle given my stats.

Stats:

So I am graduated this Spring 2020 from a top 20 university. My gpa was 3.1 overall and 2.5 sGPA. I have taken two post bacc science courses this summer receiving As in both. I plan on taking a post bacc this fall (either through my local college or Ucla Berkley online post bacc) {also advice on which post-bacc would be great too}. I am taking the Mcat in September. (for stat purpose say (504-507 mcat if that helps)

Concerns

I have debated many times but decided the beginning of the summer to just wait for the 2022 cycle to apply but am debating again, if I should just try or it would be a waste of time and money. I am looking to apply to MD schools that have the 32 hr policy or have history of taking students with post-bac. If I apply this cycle, I would also apply to some DO schools. I am hesitant with Carribean schools because of the stigma but if anyone has any pros for this option, lmk! In addition, I have applied to UQ-Ochsner program. Even though this is an international school, I hear it is regarded better than Carib schools and I like how it spends its final two years in the states. However, the tuition is $67k. I know there is loan forgiveness but with moving across the world, this will still be a lot whereas I could go to a state school and pay half and save on housing.

This being said I am trying to make the best decision for the long run. I know the UQ-O school is high but taking post-baccs are also high as well ( wouldn't need to with UQ). Also take into account I am not rich and cannot just live off family for two years. Thank you for reading this long essay!

Take the longer route, take your time and crush the post-bac and MCAT. Take the extra time. In general it is worth trying to wash away the sins of undergraduate (which we all have) before going to the Caribbean or an equivalent.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Stats:

Concerns

Read this:

Reactions: 1 user
I applied Carribean with a cGPA of 3.19, and an MCAT of 497 after I graduated. I got in all 4 of the big ones; St. George, Saba, Ross, and AUC. Of course, I decided I didn't want to go anymore and fixed my GPA/ MCAT during a DIY postbacc, and am currently going through the cycle of American medical schools.

Reactions: 2 users